New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8              10       11       end

Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

goalerjones
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

The guy is a joke. He just regurgitates different rumors about the R5 II every day. It keep his bait clicks fresh.

He reminds me of a stoner who says things like, "wouldn't it be cool if we could fly?" I've listened to him a few times but it's always, "It could be..." or "It might be..." gets tiring hoping he will have something of any worth.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:01 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

I own both the Z8 and the R5, and while the Z8 is clearly a tad bigger/heavier, it isn't at all noticeable while in use. I didn't get a Z9 because of size/weight but between the Z8 and R5 I don't really care.

Apr 23, 2024 at 01:46 PM
ramage
• •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

goalerjones wrote:
I don't think the r5M2 will have heating issues. Even the R5M1 has resolved those problems.

I want to clarify my earlier message.

By "drama", I meant the constant chatter from non-canon users and influencers who continued to talk about the overheating issue, despite Canon having mostly addressed it through firmware updates.

Unfortunately, there are still some people who react with fire emojis and other references to fuel the negativity.

I believe it's best to avoid this kind of noise as much as possible, so we can focus on constructive conversations that help us make the most of our Canon products.

Apr 23, 2024 at 02:06 PM
koenkooi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

ramage wrote:
He's like Sandy Rivers from How I Met Your Mother, a news reporter who did a segment called "From Today's Paper," where he read articles from the paper.

He plagues my YouTube feed. Despite my attempts to block him, he keeps showing up. I could not be more "NOT INTERESTED."

Sorry for my little rant; I will show myself out.

If it shows up in your 'home' feed, hover over the video title in your browser to unmask the 3 vertical dots on the rightmost side, click on those dots and select "Don't recommend channel". If you're using the Youtube app on your phone, the 3 dots should be visible by default.

That should prevent the selected channel from showing up in your feed, I haven't seen any "5 minute crafts" video in my feed for some years now

Apr 24, 2024 at 03:20 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Scott Stoness wrote:

says:
has new source
45pmx confirmed
BSI confirmed
stacked sensor confirmed
(better dynamic range and read speed likely)
Likely better dynamic range in electronic - maybe no mechanical

Not much improved for on the tripod stills (1 stop and electronic is good) but good for BIF (less rolling shutter and higher dynamic range), is my summary.

The rubber will soon hit the road soon, and I will have to decide pre-order or not. R5ii does not offer me much (landscape, or large still animals -grizzlies) but AEB/Electronic and no downgrade in electronic and 1 stop dynamic range (vs 200-800).

My head says skip but my gas says yes.
...Show more

I would love if this is true. I don't need more than 34-45 MP, I much prefer quality, speed and DR and 45MP over 60+ MP (and the read-out speed of e.g. Sony a7RV). Open up the lens mount completely, and I'd be back to shooting Canon.

May 01, 2024 at 07:19 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

In my experience, paper specs can be relevant, but don't necessarily convey the full experience of using the camera, or the camera and lenses together. Ergonomics can never be represented by paper specifications.

I am fairly confident that whatever Canon delivers with the R5 Mark II and the R1 will be competitive, even if they are not the highest resolution models in their class.

That said, I am not jonesing for a 60+ megapixel camera body. It seems to me that if you need that kind of resolution, some of the newer medium format options might be a better choice anyway.

But I am sure that the forum warriors will be out to explain everything that is inadequate about these new cameras.

May 01, 2024 at 07:48 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

garyvot wrote:
In my experience, paper specs can be relevant, but don't necessarily convey the full experience of using the camera, or the camera and lenses together. Ergonomics can never be represented by paper specifications.

I am fairly confident that whatever Canon delivers with the R5 Mark II and the R1 will be competitive, even if they are not the highest resolution models in their class.

That said, I am not jonesing for a 60+ megapixel camera body. It seems to me that if you need that kind of resolution, some of the newer medium format options might be a better choice anyway.

But I
...Show more

I guess we'll know soon. All the "rumors" say May is the month for the announcement. I'm curious if they do announce them in May, when the cameras will be available and will there be a huge waiting list and backlog like most recent new products. I would love to have a couple R5II's by the end of June if it's available and fits the bill.

May 02, 2024 at 12:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

garyvot wrote:

But I
...Show more

Agreed - the existing R5, z8, and A7series all have excellent dynamic range, fps, af compared to the last best of the DSLR (5div, d850). Its gets harder and harder to not get a good picture.

R5ii will be great because R5 is great and a bit of improvement here and there will be great plus. But I would like r5ii to clean up little things from R5 - not drop to 12bit in electronic, mechanical mode buttons, AEB/Electronic, clean up the ergonomics of the menu so things like pre-burst are easy. Small buffer and stacked sensor will also cure the complaints about leaning background, and wings too.

But for landscape printed big, >80mpx without AA would be the no-brainer difference between me buying R5II vs 200-800 or r7 (even though I don't really need them). And bringing the weight down to 500 grams would be a slam dunk for backpacking. Right now I lean toward r7 (reach) and 200-800 (versatility from my car) , based on the rumours.

May 02, 2024 at 01:33 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

There was a developmental R1 announcement last night. Other rumours swirling is that R5ii might be announced May 21st ish.

https://global.canon/en/news/2024/20240515.html

TOKYO, May 15, 2024—Canon Inc. announced today that it is currently developing the EOS R1, a full-frame mirrorless camera, as the first flagship model for the EOS R SYSTEM equipped with an RF mount and is aiming for a 2024 release.

This camera will dramatically improve the performance of both still images and video and meet the high requirements of professionals on the frontlines of a wide range of fields including sports, news reporting, and video production.

This camera employs the newly developed image processor DIGIC Accelerator in addition to the pre-existing processor DIGIC X. The new image processing system, composed of these processors and a new CMOS sensor, enables large volume of data to be processed at high speeds and delivers never-before-seen advancements in Auto Focus (AF) and other functions.

By combining the new image processing system and deep learning technology to an advanced degree, Canon has achieved high-speed and high-accuracy subject recognition. For example, subject tracking accuracy has been improved so that in team sporting events where multiple subjects intersect, the target subject can continually be tracked even if another player passes directly in front of them. In addition, the AF “Action Priority” function recognizes subject movement by rapidly analyzing the subject’s status. In moments during a sports game when it is difficult to predict what will happen next, this function automatically determines the player performing a certain action, such as shooting a ball, as the main subject and instantly shifts the AF frame, thereby helping to capture decisive moments of gameplay.

The combination of the new image processing system and deep learning technology will help to improve image quality. Canon implements the image noise reduction function, which has been previously developed and improved as part of the software for PCs, as a camera function to further improve image quality and contribute to user creativity.

Canon is working on field tests for this camera, and will support capturing definitive and impactful moments at international sporting events to be held in the future.

From Canon Rumours: [Summary]

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eos-r1-a-flagship-re-invented-lots-of-subtle-difference-compared-to-the-eos-r3/

Aiming for release in 2024

Professional mirrorless camera with high durability and reliability

Conventional video engine DIGIC X

Newly developed video engine DIGIC Accelerator

Newly developed CMOS sensor

High-dimensional fusion of new video engine system and deep learning technology

Achieving high-speed and high-precision object recognition

AF “Action Priority” function

We are proceeding with field tests of this unit to support the capture of decisive and moving moments at upcoming global sporting events.

May 15, 2024 at 08:31 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Pretty credible YouTuber - a bif guy

R5
45mpx
stacked sensor with very fast read out
pre-burst in separate files (not merged together)
30fps
Mechanical and Electronic shutter
Overheating addressed
details announced may be later than expected - May 21 to Early July range

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 08:49 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 08:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Jan is the one that has put out the latest R5II specs from trusted sources that accurately told him about the R6II and 200-800. This one should be coming soon. The R1 "announcement" is a joke.

May 15, 2024 at 08:45 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Scott Stoness wrote:

R5
45mpx
30fps
Overheating addressed

45mpx is basic stakes - not exciting for a landscape photographer

I like the pre-burst not in one file. That was a pain to work with.

Stacked sensor, as opposed to global shutter is good for me, because stacked is fast enough and global has dynamic range challenges.

Mechanical shutter makes me nervous because we may see the continuation of the 14bit to 12 bit with electronic mode.

May 15, 2024 at 08:54 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

So with the official "vague" announcement of the R1 taking place and now more unconfirmed rumors/leaks of the R5II, will we see an official announcement of the R5II later today or tomorrow?
Yeah, I know nobody knows for sure but...

And more importantly, to me at least. When might we learn anything about the RF 500 or 200-500 or whatever the hell it's going to be. That's IF it's even real and not just rumor mill BS.
If I had to choose between the R5II or an RF 500 f/4.5, I'm skipping the R5II for now and snagging the RF 500 f/4.5.

What are your thoughts?

May 15, 2024 at 10:21 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Scott Stoness wrote:

R5
45mpx
30fps
Overheating addressed

I'll take that. He also mentioned we would be able to select the desired fps in the menu which would be great. I just hope it's in the same form factor as the current R5.

I think the biggest question for Canon is where are they going to price the R5II? The Z8 is currently $3496.95

May 15, 2024 at 10:40 AM
UCTeeth

p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

good call on this as I am also curious where this R5 II will be priced

May 15, 2024 at 10:42 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Canon is typically not influenced by competitors when it comes to setting prices - they know they will sell as many as they can build in the first year no matter how they price it.

I think the current huge discounts on the Z8 and A1 are attempts by Nikon and Sony to grab a few more sales before the R5 II drops.

May 15, 2024 at 10:47 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Price will be min $3,999, they might even go for $4,200. Canon does not want to start a price war with the race to the bottom.

May 15, 2024 at 10:55 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
Jan is the one that has put out the latest R5II specs from trusted sources that accurately told him about the R6II and 200-800. This one should be coming soon. The R1 "announcement" is a joke.

Good video, just posted myself deleted after sering your post. R1 specs haven't been released yet, though, so not a very funny joke, if a joke at all. Hopefully it doesn't have the cruddy DR of the A9 III and it's global shutter

May 15, 2024 at 12:43 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

molson wrote:
Canon is typically not influenced by competitors when it comes to setting prices - they know they will sell as many as they can build in the first year no matter how they price it.

I think the current huge discounts on the Z8 and A1 are attempts by Nikon and Sony to grab a few more sales before the R5 II drops.

Canon is currently having discounts (roughly the same percentage wise as Nikon and Sony) on the R3/R5 and number of RF L series lenses. I would agree that in the past Canon wasn't influenced by others in setting their prices--however I don't think that will be the case anymore. The consumer landscape today is completely different than it was 2-3 years ago.

May 15, 2024 at 12:58 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

robert_in_ca wrote:
Canon is currently having discounts (roughly the same percentage wise as Nikon and Sony) on the R3/R5 and number of RF L series lenses. I would agree that in the past Canon wasn't influenced by others in setting their prices--however I don't think that will be the case anymore. The consumer landscape today is completely different than it was 2-3 years ago.

Nikon Canada is also offering trade-in bonuses if you buy directly from them. I can get a new Z8 for less than the discounted price of an R5 right now... although that is probably more in line with where the Z8 should be priced to begin with.

May 15, 2024 at 01:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.