Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10              12              22       23       end

Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
If they didnít then that is a huge misstep. I think Sony misstepped not doing 4.0 type A in the A93 but now we are going to be 6-12months later with actual cards to market so not using type 4 slot would be crippling for cameras designed with a minimum four year life cycle.

It was very surprising that the a9III didn't support CFEx 4.0

May 16, 2024 at 08:16 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
If they didnít then that is a huge misstep. I think Sony misstepped not doing 4.0 type A in the A93 but now we are going to be 6-12months later with actual cards to market so not using type 4 slot would be crippling for cameras designed with a minimum four year life cycle.

Even if they stayed with the previous gen CFE (1700R / 1500W) it would still be about as fast as the latest 4.0 Type A cards.
Sony crippled their cameras right out of the gate using the ridiculously slow Type A. And as you said, to release the flagship A9III with cards stuck at 800R / 700W is about the biggest cripple hammer they could possibly swing.

Being that Canon worked directly with Sandisk to develop the CFExpress type B cards before the R5 release (1DXIII), I'd be very surprised if the next bodies are released without the 4.0 CFE capability.

May 16, 2024 at 08:44 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

lighthound wrote:
Even if they stayed with the previous gen CFE (1700R / 1500W) it would still be about as fast as the latest 4.0 Type A cards.
Sony crippled their cameras right out of the gate using the ridiculously slow Type A. And as you said, to release the flagship A9III with cards stuck at 800R / 700W is about the biggest cripple hammer they could possibly swing.

Being that Canon worked directly with Sandisk to develop the CFExpress type B cards before the R5 release (1DXIII), I'd be very surprised if the next bodies are released without the 4.0 CFE capability.
...Show more

Yup we are in a phase of the industry ( 5 years post mirrorless) that little things are more important than big things:
1) faster cards, bigger buffers
2) Pre Burst that works easy
3) Electronic that does not drop down to 12 bit
4) Clean up the menu that is getting too bloated where you have to turn on burst to do pre burst or be in EFCS to do AEB
5) Perhaps another mode to make the camera switch between landscape/stills/portrait to wildlife/action so that you don't need to memorize steps in the dark or hurry
6) Weight
7) longer than 30s in shutter without bulb

More mpx, faster read out, more dynamic range are nice but the camera's are getting so good and complicated I need two of them to remember the settings. Video, Stills, and Action/Bif are way different in settings.

May 16, 2024 at 11:47 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

lighthound wrote:

...Show more

I don't know if we should call the 2nd fasted card type ever to hit market "ridiculously slow". But Sony made a choice to keep the camera smaller, keep the slots the same type AND give people the option to use SD or CFe-A in dual or mixed configs. Was it better than one CFe-B and one SD? I don't know, 4 years ago I hated cameras with mixed slots as I always shot mirrored RAWs. I don't shoot mirrored anymore. If I was travelling I may do so again. So having Cfe-B/SD mixed in a camera isn't as big of a deal to me anymore.

We also must look at how the camera can utilize the rated card speeds. Recent analysis in a thread on the Sony forum found that Nikon's implementation of CFe-B is writing at 629-764MB/s...Sony A1 to CFe-A at 617MB/s. So as we see from that actual testing, having CFe-B doesn't mean anything unless the camera can produce the finished data faster. I don't know where Canon falls in all that. Maybe they are maximizing it more. But between Nikon and Sony the only advantage is the cheaper price of the B cards.

The A9III was a misstep in my opinion. But after using the camera the past few weeks I would say it is only a problem in 120FPS mode and more so with pre-capture enabled. With pre-capture and 60FPS it is sometimes an issue but mostly not. Still, it would have been nice if they could have used 4.0. But then we don't know if they could create the files fast enough to make use of double the write speeds?? Nikon surely can't with their current cameras. So that could be the reason the card slots stayed the same. We may never know. The same tests I mentioned earlier showed the A9III is writing slower than the A1 and this does suggest that a faster card isn't the problem. The internals are the limiting factor just like on Nikon. Again I don't know where Canon lies in all this.

May 16, 2024 at 12:10 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

arbitrage wrote:
I don't know if we should call the 2nd fasted card type ever to hit market "ridiculously slow". But Sony made a choice to keep the camera smaller, keep the slots the same type AND give people the option to use SD or CFe-A in dual or mixed configs. Was it better than one CFe-B and one SD? I don't know, 4 years ago I hated cameras with mixed slots as I always shot mirrored RAWs. I don't shoot mirrored anymore. If I was travelling I may do so again. So having Cfe-B/SD mixed in a camera isn't as big
...Show more

Based on this R1 statement
"This camera employs the newly developed image processor DIGIC Accelerator in addition to the pre-existing processor DIGIC X. "

I would think Canon would definitely want the fastest storage tech available at release which would be CFEx 4.0.
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine the R5II, even though it likely wont have this "Accelerator" would also use the same CFEx 4.0 tech. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't make sense for them to gimp the R5II when the tech is available and likely being used in their flagship. Especially considering the 4 year cycle as you mentioned.

May 16, 2024 at 12:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

lighthound wrote:
Based on this R1 statement
"This camera employs the newly developed image processor DIGIC Accelerator in addition to the pre-existing processor DIGIC X. "

I would think Canon would definitely want the fastest storage tech available at release which would be CFEx 4.0.
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine the R5II, even though it likely wont have this "Accelerator" would also use the same CFEx 4.0 tech. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't make sense for them to gimp the R5II when the tech is available and likely being used in their flagship. Especially considering the 4
...Show more

I would certainly hope so too. The extra processor sounds promising. Wonder if it will be more to do with AI/subject recognition like the Sony AI chip in RV and A93 or something more to do for the processing of the files to get them off to the card. If the latter then the camera should benefit from the 4.0 CFe-B card.
And I really hope the A1II adds the 4.0 Cfe-A (I don't have any expectations of Sony changing to Type B ever) if it can make use of them. Pushing 50MP at what may be up to 60FPS is going to be taxing just like 24 at 120FPS is on the A9III.

May 16, 2024 at 01:21 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

It is sad of little transparency there is in the camera industry in this matter, irregardless of brand. All we get is marketing blurbs with little to no details about true performance of processor and bus , which CFEx standard is being used, etc, especially considering that today's high end camera costs as much as a used car. While 95% of consumers surely don't care about the specs and details, let us nerds geek out on it :-)

May 17, 2024 at 06:51 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

How about something simple. Built in GPS. Even my Iphone and the 5D4 had one.

May 17, 2024 at 09:16 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

patotts wrote:
While 95% of consumers surely don't care about the specs and details, let us nerds geek out on it :-)

Isn't that what the Sony forum is for?

May 17, 2024 at 11:10 AM
UCTeeth

p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Trying to catch up on this thread, but what is the latest rumor on when the R5 Mark II will be released? I keep debating going R3 or waiting to see what's happening with the R5 mark ii

May 17, 2024 at 05:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

UCTeeth wrote:
Trying to catch up on this thread, but what is the latest rumor on when the R5 Mark II will be released? I keep debating going R3 or waiting to see what's happening with the R5 mark ii

May Announcement (next week ?), July Shipping is the latest rumour

May 17, 2024 at 06:10 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

too much of what canon does these days seems to be because they can not because it is something as a still nature photographer I need. That seems to be beneath their blue sky photography for them to bother with.

May 18, 2024 at 12:20 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Nothing new here but canon rumours has a good summary:

https://www.canonrumors.com/a-few-canon-eos-r5-mark-ii-specifications-cr2/

- 45mp Stacked Sensor (faster readout than the EOS R3)
- A preburst feature superior to that found in the EOS R6 Mark II.
- Mechanical and Electronic Shutter
- 30fps (Mechanical)
- Ergonomic design features from the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, with the video/stills toggle being a notable
- Smart Controller from the EOS R3
- New flip screen mechanism to allow more viewing options.
- Eye AF II will also be added
- Improved heat dissipation technology
- enhanced performance in video recording and high-frame-rate photography.

- official announcement will happen after the Memorial/Victoria Day holidays, which are at the end of May.
- shipping in July

Hopefully we will hear this week.

May 20, 2024 at 09:47 AM
UCTeeth

p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

what is your prediction for the price of this camera? I keep debating on waiting or going R5C/ R3

May 20, 2024 at 02:19 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

With the price of the Z8 now $3500 and with similar specs, Canon won't be able to price the R5II where they might want to. They would be hard pressed to go above $4k imo, and I think they might surprise people and price it just below.

May 20, 2024 at 06:03 PM
goalerjones
• •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

When I decided on my R5 it was for the silent shutter feature, only to find out it had terrible banding issues dealing with LED lights for the church event shots I was getting. Then the rolling shutter for action sports made things difficult.

So now it seems I may actually be able to get the camera I wanted 3 years ago.

May 20, 2024 at 10:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Regarding price: Canon often seems to have a disconnect between what they clearly feel a product is worth vs. what many here believe it should sell for. Therefore the camera is often priced higher than the direct competition during the introductory 6-12 month period. Probably also depends on production volume and initial and sustained demand.

Scott Stoness wrote:
- A preburst feature superior to that found in the EOS R6 Mark II.

Hopefully that means individual frames are not in a proprietary Canon container requiring their software to extract...

May 21, 2024 at 06:22 PM
koenkooi
• •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

rscheffler wrote:
Regarding price: Canon often seems to have a disconnect between what they clearly feel a product is worth vs. what many here believe it should sell for. Therefore the camera is often priced higher than the direct competition during the introductory 6-12 month period. Probably also depends on production volume and initial and sustained demand.

Hopefully that means individual frames are not in a proprietary Canon container requiring their software to extract...

I also hope that it doesn't lock you out of shooting for a full minute after you use it, as it does now. Canons implementation on how to handle a full buffer has lots of room for improvement

May 22, 2024 at 06:51 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

Flowernut wrote:
too much of what canon does these days seems to be because they can not because it is something as a still nature photographer I need. That seems to be beneath their blue sky photography for them to bother with.

Until the hordes of vloggers start turning their cameras away from themselves and get interested in taking nature photos, nothing is going to change for any of the major camera manufacturers... like it or not. Selfies and videos rule the marketplace, and the camera companies tend to go where the money is.

May 22, 2024 at 09:18 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Newest R5II Rumours and Thoughts

May 22nd....still waiting for this announcement....

May 22, 2024 at 12:33 PM
1       2       3              10              12              22       23       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.