New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

SSD prices

Cduff406

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SSD prices

Man, prices for external SSD's have really shot up! I need to pick up one or two more for some upcoming trips. Drives I got for $199 back around December are now $299! I'm tempted to wait and see if they come back down, but afraid with my luck they will just continue to go up.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:55 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SSD prices

That's how black friday prices work, yes

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:57 AM
Cduff406

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SSD prices

The Samsung's are up 50% or more since last summer too!

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:36 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SSD prices

i prefer to build up a modular setup that is to a degree upgradeable.

current setup is a Hyper USB4 block alloy aluminum enclosure. dissipates the heat of the memory card inside. in my case currently a Crucial T500 2TB stick* which is quite capable to exceed most (and take higher capacity). supports USB4/Thunderbolt 4 40Gbps. it will also work on slower ports too depending on you computer. i have TB4 om my little laptop at 40Gbps and currently 20Gbps on my new base machine. will throw a TB4 card in for a little ooph later on.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-next-usb4-nvme-ssd-enclosure
*M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 4/3 SSD

whats also good i have 2more empty slots in my computer for more NvMe. nothing goes to waste.

Mar 13, 2024 at 01:07 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SSD prices

sjms wrote:

I like doing that too but it's hardly compatible with the OP's desire for cheaper storage, especially if the enclosure itself costs over $100!

Cduff406 wrote:
Man, prices for external SSD's have really shot up! I need to pick up one or two more for some upcoming trips. Drives I got for $199 back around December are now $299! I'm tempted to wait and see if they come back down, but afraid with my luck they will just continue to go up.

As predicted, sadly. At the end of last year we we were all beneficiaries of a glut in the market that manufacturers have now apparently gone some way to reducing, so don't expect prices to drop again any time soon IMO. Maybe by the end of the year supply and demand will have balanced out enough again to get some more deals.

Mar 13, 2024 at 03:00 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SSD prices

prices are up b/c the pc industry is expecting increasing demands for ai-pc in the 2nd half of this yr.

Mar 13, 2024 at 03:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SSD prices

well if you are talking and i quote "$200 and a high of $300" i wouldn't be complaining too much at all. the definition of "cheap" better be defined a bit better.

you can get NvMe sticks on sale at reasonable prices monthly. its just where you look and if you are prepared for reality.

these also have a bad habit of out performing. isn't it better to have a higher level of control over your tech and in the end your wallet too.

Edited on Mar 13, 2024 at 03:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2024 at 03:17 PM
tntcorp1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SSD prices

sjms wrote:

current setup is a Hyper USB4 block alloy aluminum enclosure. dissipates the heat of the memory card inside. in my case currently a Crucial T500 2TB stick* which is quite capable to exceed most (and take higher capacity). supports USB4/Thunderbolt 4 40Gbps. it will also work on slower ports too depending on you computer. i have TB4 om my little laptop at 40Gbps and currently 20Gbps on my new base machine. will throw a TB4 card in for a little ooph later on.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-next-usb4-nvme-ssd-enclosure
*M.2 NVMe PCIe
...Show more

this is sold out. does it drop down to 10Gbps on older usb-c port? would you know?

your approach may be the least expensive route. a 2Tb m.2 nvme is about 130. add a sabrent enclosure capable of 10 Gps and you get the same speed as the samsung t4 ssd drive.

Mar 13, 2024 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SSD prices

you order and stand by. it tends to be popular.

now of course if its a slower output port it will be slower on the intake. its not a vacuum cleaner. with this stuff today even your cable makes a difference. there is a neat little package of electronics in those cable plugs

you get what you pay for when you use it correctly. i also tend to think in real time and then look forward

Mar 13, 2024 at 03:32 PM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SSD prices

We just bought two Samsung 2tb SSD's for $149 during a B & H Deal of the Day sale.

Mar 14, 2024 at 08:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SSD prices

micro center is selling the samsung 2TB portable for $179

https://www.microcenter.com/

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:02 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SSD prices

NAND/SSD prices are volatile. Samsung warned the industry a while ago to expect a 20%+ increase in 2024. The price increase feels worse because we are coming out of a period where NAND prices were some of the lowest we have ever seen. Now that the industry has worked through much of the Q423 surplus and some manufacturers have cut production, we are seeing prices increase.

Unless you are looking at the premium 4TB drives or other similar products though, the price increases really aren't that bad in terms of dollar amounts. Mainstream 1-2TB drives are still quite affordable. In fact, the Samsung 990 pro's are still on sale, 2TB is only $179 USD and 4TB $319.

Mar 19, 2024 at 04:42 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SSD prices

Samsung has had some really odd increases. I bought a 4TB T7 Shield on black friday for $150. I would have bought two if I'd known....they are now selling for $529! But Crucial's 4TB SSDs are a little higher than before, but not crazy high...$225 for the X9 and $280 for the X10.

Mar 25, 2024 at 07:58 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SSD prices

Jman13 wrote:
Samsung has had some really odd increases. I bought a 4TB T7 Shield on black friday for $150. I would have bought two if I'd known....they are now selling for $529! But Crucial's 4TB SSDs are a little higher than before, but not crazy high...$225 for the X9 and $280 for the X10.

I'm seeing the 4TB T7 Shield for $290 pretty much everywhere (Amazon, B&H etc.), so I'm not sure where you're seeing $529. But, yes, they were stupidly cheap last November and I also wish I'd picked up more than one

Mar 25, 2024 at 01:27 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SSD prices

wordfool wrote:
I'm seeing the 4TB T7 Shield for $290 pretty much everywhere (Amazon, B&H etc.), so I'm not sure where you're seeing $529. But, yes, they were stupidly cheap last November and I also wish I'd picked up more than one

That's at my local Microcenter, which is where I got my T7S in November. That's unusual since they're usually extremely competitive. (they'll price match other retailers, though).

Mar 25, 2024 at 01:46 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SSD prices

Jman13 wrote:
That's at my local Microcenter, which is where I got my T7S in November. That's unusual since they're usually extremely competitive. (they'll price match other retailers, though).

Ah, OK. So it's Microcenter that had the really odd increase, not Samsung -- in fact even on Samsung's own site they're $289. I guess the Microcenter's manager didn't get the memo!

Mar 25, 2024 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.