New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

compact travel tripod.

aldhizerphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · compact travel tripod.

It if you travel a lot and have the budget Definitely recommend the Peak Design aluminum Travel Tripod. It's about the size of a large water bottle when collapsed/packed up and a fraction of the weight of other tripods without sacrificing sturdiness or quality.

I've had mine 4 years now and I love it. I'll never go back to another tripod for traveling.

Plus you can't be the warranty. If and when anything breaks they send me a the replacement part free of charge for life.

Mar 26, 2024 at 04:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · compact travel tripod.

its easy to beat the warranty. have one (tripod) that you really need to use type warranty. that's what I've had since 2012 and its 2024 and still going along strong. easy take down and cleans up well too. and its been out and about in the world for a more than a few years. it easily allows me to choose the head i want to use w/o having to purchase an adapter. its all about ones priorities. i prefer the tool.

Edited on Mar 26, 2024 at 08:21 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2024 at 04:42 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · compact travel tripod.

Jman13 wrote:
I use a Leofoto LS-284C for my travel tripod. It's very solid, no center column, decent height, and folds reasonably compactly.

It is darn near impossible to beat the value of a Leofoto tripod, especially if purchased on eBay from seller DesmondPhoto. You can probably get a 284C under $150. At that price you can buy 2 for the cost of a single FLM and 5+ for the cost of a RRS Ascend. Yeah, no warranty, but when was the last time you needed warranty service on a tripod? In 25 years I have never had anything happen that I could not address myself. Tripods are extremely simple devices and when they fail, it is usually catastrophic. At $150 you just throw it away and buy the greatest and latest with often substantial advancements. The only exception is perhaps if you make a living with the tripod and consider failure of any kind unacceptable.

If you had subscribed to the "buy once" mantra you would have spent a god awful amount of money on a Gitzo 15-20 years ago and would still be stuck with 4-layer tubes, rotating legs, and extremely uncomfortable leg locks.

With that said all Leofoto tripods have a common liability - extremely narrow leg angle which makes them very tippy. If you are handy with a file you can fix that in under 10 minutes. The 287C is also extremely short, well under 50 inches fully extended. It is OK when you absolutely need a tripod, but is unsuitable for daily use.

Mar 26, 2024 at 07:01 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · compact travel tripod.

Yeah I second Leofoto tripods. The quality is amazing for the price. I carry one with me all winter at work in the mountains to get star photos or just night shots when I get a spare moment. The size and weight is nothing and I just leave my IS function on in camera to negate any shake if it is really windy, which any small tripod would get in strong gusting winds.

The particular model I have is a center column though, LX-224CT.

Like I said, I carry it to work daily in the winter and I use it as my hiking tripod as well and it has been one of my favorite photography purchases I have ever made.

Mar 28, 2024 at 01:45 AM
smw6230

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · compact travel tripod.

GroovyGeek wrote:
It is darn near impossible to beat the value of a Leofoto tripod, especially if purchased on eBay from seller DesmondPhoto. You can probably get a 284C under $150. At that price you can buy 2 for the cost of a single FLM and 5+ for the cost of a RRS Ascend. Yeah, no warranty, but when was the last time you needed warranty service on a tripod? In 25 years I have never had anything happen that I could not address myself. Tripods are extremely simple devices and when they fail, it is usually catastrophic. At $150 you just
...Show more

I'd like to associate myself with the Gentleman's remarks.

I picked up a 284c Poseidon from that seller two weeks ago (perfect transaction). It cost me an extra $300 tho as I had to pair it with a new ball head (Acratech GP-S). I had started to see the need to add a 2 series/travel tripod to my setup. I also had a growing desire for a ocean/beach tripod for So Cal seascapes. The Poseidon LP-284C ticked both of those boxes for $164 shipped! I think I purchased it 10m or so after first seeing the listing b/c you aren't getting a similarly spec'd tripod for under $400.

Frankly I'm amazed that in the 2 weeks since I placed my order they've only sold 1 more of those tripods. Its got 10 watches tho. There my be a run after the 1st of the month.

Overall the LP-284c paired with the GP-S is a damn light kit. I added a Stone/Rock bag to it and when weighted it's pretty damn stable. No regrets on my part for either purchase. Only thing I can't figure out is how to fold the attached rock bag so that it fits in a tripod bag (RRS).

Addendum - If you do pick up one of those tripods I know it comes with a bag BUT you can get a RRS Small Tripod Bag (TQB-64) from B&H for $38.00 bucks. Its a MUCH better and more practical bag than the one the Leofoto comes with. The Leo bag is ok, but the RRS bag is tapered and works better in sling style.

Addendum #2 w/r/t warranty. IMO if you get a Leofoto tripod I'd advise going to the Leofoto USA site and immediately buying that specific models "shim" set and tossing them in a drawer. The shims are the most likely thing to break so having a spare set ensures that, with routine maintenance, the pod should last a while.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:25 PM
1              end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.