New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

compact travel tripod.

Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · compact travel tripod.

I am going to travel and cannot take my normal tripod due to size. Its just a tad to big. I need something sturdy but compact. prefer carbon fiber. It does not even need to be that tall as I have a screen that rotates so I can look down a bit. I don't like center columns but might have to go that route. what do you guys use for your own travel tripod

Mar 12, 2024 at 02:58 PM
robstein
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · compact travel tripod.

I use this Sirui when I travel for work and want something for wandering around in the evening. It's not ideal but I find it a nice compromise. Looks like it's got cheaper by $50 from when I bought a few years ago.

Mar 12, 2024 at 04:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · compact travel tripod.

what are your parameters? quality?

Mar 12, 2024 at 04:05 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · compact travel tripod.

sjms wrote:
what are your parameters? quality?

I don't mind paying for quality. I want something around 18 inches or less when folded. carbon fiber. compact ball head would be nice.

Mar 12, 2024 at 05:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · compact travel tripod.

if you want one that you won't be looking to replace the RRS Ascend. it is far from cheap being made completely in the US. it is available in a few variations with and without an integrated head. i prefer to be able to change it out.

https://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/ascend/

Mar 12, 2024 at 06:04 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · compact travel tripod.

Ghostinz wrote:
I am going to travel and cannot take my normal tripod due to size. Its just a tad to big. I need something sturdy but compact. prefer carbon fiber. It does not even need to be that tall as I have a screen that rotates so I can look down a bit. I don't like center columns but might have to go that route. what do you guys use for your own travel tripod

One of the best buys you can make in a quality travel tripod, is the Gitzo GT-2545T. It'll last you a lifetime,,, there are abundant parts and accessories available,,, great warranty... and can be had with,,or without a head. In my opinion, buying the "kit" which includes the head is by far the best option. This model in kit form,(legs and head) is called the GK-2545T-82QD, and it frequently goes "on sale" at B&H. The included head is the GH-1382-QD,which is Arca-Swiss compatible, and includes friction control. It also has a wonderfully smooth panning base. The legs are mostly made with hi-modulus carbon fiber, and the tripod accepts a variety of inter-changeable feet (spikes, etc)

The GT-2545T (legs) also includes a very well designed center-column assembly, which is an absolute "must" in a 2-series or smaller travel tripod. This class of tripod, is generally designed for the height of the average male(5' 9"), which puts the camera view-finder at eye-level. Having a solid center-column is a great addition if you have to adjust for slight variances in elevation when shooting on sloped terrain..The column is removeable, and reversable, and Gitzo also includes a short-column accessory for shooting low to the ground.

The kit (legs and head) weighs a cobined 3.9 lbs.... and folds to 17.5". Payload capacity is 26.5 lbs.,,, and the head alone supports 31 lbs. An Arca style plate is included with the head.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328229-REG/gitzo_gk2545t_82qdus_traveler_tripod_kit_gt2545t.html/overview?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncWvBhD_ARIsAEb2HW-OzppDd4wBINAy9noyZPRsiygmIzjlX33nZFGUJjFk8QTSi9CovTMaAktmEALw_wcB

The head alone usually sells for $480. The kit is a heckuva deal in my opinion.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175123-REG/gitzo_gh1382qd_series_1_center.html

Edited on Mar 13, 2024 at 04:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:30 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · compact travel tripod.

sjms wrote:
if you want one that you won't be looking to replace the RRS Ascend. it is far from cheap being made completely in the US. it is available in a few variations with and without an integrated head. i prefer to be able to change it out.

https://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/ascend/

I know RRS is the stuff.. just not something I can do. I need a slightly more budget friendly one.. .

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:09 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · compact travel tripod.

Does the tripod need to be standing height? If not, the little AOKA CMP163CL has worked great for me. It's only 71cm max height which works when I'm sitting on the ground. But is collapses to 37cm which I can carry in a mid sized hydration pack when biking.

amazon has them with a mini ball head https://www.amazon.com/AOKA-Compact-Lightweight-Capacity-Travelling/dp/B07PK9Q627

I got one from https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800955857339.html with a neat little inverted pano head.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · compact travel tripod.

Ghostinz wrote:
I know RRS is the stuff.. just not something I can do. I need a slightly more budget friendly one.. .

i did ask.

consider its working lifespan so far. my TQC/TFC-14 (it is/was an easy conversion. about 10 minutes) which has been replaced by the ascend is of 2012 vintage (this being 2024). and its it been all around via plane, train and automobile to a whole lot of locale's. it stands high and tight too. i do maintain my tools. it comes down to how often are you going to look into a replacement.

in the end you get what you pay for.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:37 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · compact travel tripod.

I have several. Both rrs 14 series and gitzo traveler 1 series. To me, little difference in most situations though i decided to keep the rrs. Both were too much for me on what for an old fart was a fair hike. So i left both behind and put my camera on rocks if i was not just holding it. So for my next hike i have just grabbed a leofoto mt04. It is small and good enough as a tabletop or just slightly taller aupport. And about 1 pound total with a small head. We shall see…

Selling the gitzo since it is essentially new and keeping the more beat up rrs.

They all work fine. For me it is just what do i want to carry for 5-10 miles/day in an already moderately heavy pack. So far, none of them, but call me wimp. We will see if the timy one works.

Mar 13, 2024 at 09:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Longboard16

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · compact travel tripod.

Just before Christmas I got a FLM CP26-Travel II 10X Carbon Fiber Series II Tripod on sale at B&H for $314. (Normally $369). Comes without a head and is 17” long so it works well for travel of hiking. It is CF and while a little shorter than I would like it is workable. I’ll be giving it a workout next week in Death Valley.

Mar 13, 2024 at 09:56 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · compact travel tripod.

Bobarino wrote:
One of the best buys you can make in a quality travel tripod, is the Gitzo GT-2545T. It'll last you a lifetime,,, there are abundant parts and accessories available,,, great warranty... and can be had with,,or without a head. In my opinion, buying the "kit" which includes the head is by far the best option. This model in kit form,(legs and head) is called the GK-2545T-82QD, and it frequently goes "on sale" at B&H. The included head is the GH-1382-QD,which is Arca-Swiss compatible, and includes friction control. It also has a wonderfully smooth panning base. The legs are mostly made
...Show more

I'm an RRS and FLM fan, but I feel like the Gitzo option above is really good, especially if compact size is a priority.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:42 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · compact travel tripod.

yeah..just a bit bigger than a table top tripod is what I am looking for.

I found a Coman on Amazon, which looks like a knock off of the Ulanzi, got big discounts due to my Cap 1 card, only to realize now that is likely won't fit the arca swiss plate of my camera.

Likely I am going to just go with the Ulanzi Zero Y and try it out.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:43 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · compact travel tripod.

sjms wrote:

i did ask.

consider its working lifespan so far. my TQC/TFC-14 (it is/was an easy conversion. about 10 minutes) which has been replaced by the ascend is of 2012 vintage (this being 2024). and its it been all around via plane, train and automobile to a whole lot of locale's. it stands high and tight too. i do maintain my tools. it comes down to how often are you going to look into a replacement.

in the end you get what you pay for.

I actually have an RRS TVC-33 & BH55. I got it used years ago. I like it.. its definitey a beast. Its just not something I can travel with really, unless I am taking a road trip.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:50 AM
Cinstance
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · compact travel tripod.

Ghostinz wrote:
yeah..just a bit bigger than a table top tripod is what I am looking for.

I found a Coman on Amazon, which looks like a knock off of the Ulanzi, got big discounts due to my Cap 1 card, only to realize now that is likely won't fit the arca swiss plate of my camera.

Likely I am going to just go with the Ulanzi Zero Y and try it out.

I think Coman and Ulanzi are the same brand . Acutally on the legs of Ulanzi Zero Y, it prints something like "Ulanzi Coman".

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:41 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · compact travel tripod.

Cinstance wrote:
I think Coman and Ulanzi are the same brand . Acutally on the legs of Ulanzi Zero Y, it prints something like "Ulanzi Coman".

yes, I saw that as well. What is funny is the ball head they use is different. The Ulanzi one looks like it takes any arca swiss plate. The Coman one, says Arca Swiss compatible, but only on the smaller plates they have. I will just have to see what it does.

Mar 14, 2024 at 01:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · compact travel tripod.

Ghostinz wrote:
I actually have an RRS TVC-33 & BH55. I got it used years ago. I like it.. its definitey a beast. Its just not something I can travel with really, unless I am taking a road trip.

my claim to fame is having one of the original 10 they made of the TVC33 along with one of the original BH55's. they were good for the work that i was doing they even lent me their prototype of the leveling base for some cinema work. i machined the adapter i needed to marry it to the camera i was using. 10 years and i then got the TQC14 and later the TVC24 with all the adaptions. yes i use their centerpost. it is rigid. sold the TVC33 off after 10 years because the 24 and 14 were more adaptable to my newer needs and it was becoming closed clutter. been there ever since. haven't found any that interested me since. been dealing with RRS since 1991 for plates (film cameras) from Bryan Guyer all the way up till now with J Johnson. i like those that put effort into their work and product. not all things are perfect but they always work with me. 2 BH40 Ball heads too recent changed the older lever clamps to the newer model lever clamps (i had some pocket change) which is based on their SOAR hardware.

i look at it as what i spent up front i considerably saved on the back end over time not needing to wander though the forest full of also rans.

Mar 14, 2024 at 01:48 PM
letchhausen
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · compact travel tripod.

I wonder if anyone has had any issues going over 17" for international travel? I'm about to fly to Europe in May and my perusal has been that is the limit. I know, that's barely over but I've had some unfortunate TSA experiences that feel like if they can find a thing, they will find it.

Currently looking at the 1545T. I don't have any interest in the Gitzo head since I've used their heads before, but thought it might be cool to get a fluid head instead.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:15 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · compact travel tripod.

Why is everyone obsessing about folded tripod size? Almost any tripod can be disassembled to under 20 inches to fit in a carry-on. All you have to do is unscrew one or more leg sections. I have fit a Gitzo systemic 3 series tripod in a carry-on that way. Disassembly and reassembly take under a minute each. The only time you need to be more careful is if you fly RyanAir, but even a 4 section tripod that is 21 inches folded disassembled to exactly 17 inches.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:44 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · compact travel tripod.

I use a Leofoto LS-284C for my travel tripod. It's very solid, no center column, decent height, and folds reasonably compactly.

Mar 25, 2024 at 08:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.