Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?

  
 
GiovanniAprea
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?


In the infinite quest for the do-it-almost-all bag I was thinking of the Wotancraft in 10L Pilot flavour.

I own a Retrospective 7 which does pretty good but can't fit a 13" MBAir when I need to get abroad, I also own a Retrospective 20 which is very capable but I don't like the depth of it and is too big for everyday wandering.

The bag I liked the most was a Domke F3, no padding, no thrills but loads of space to fit anything you ever need to carry around for the day, too bad it got ruined too early and they are very expensive to buy here in Italy.

Basically I need a bag to fit either a ML or D-SLR body (no grips) with a small zoom or a prime mounted, couple extra lenses or a lens and an accessory, a capable sleeve to slide in a MBAir 13" when needed and/or paperwork, a pocket or two for a battery charger and if there are straps to attach a mid size tripod so much better. I tried my luck with a 18L backpack but it is another bag taking space and seeing no use, what about the Wotancrafts, are they any good quality and space wise?

Grazie



Mar 12, 2024 at 03:03 AM
mcbroomf
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?


I have and use the 10L. My lightweight kit is a Sony A7CR, 16-35mm PZ, 70-200 F4 II macro and 50mm F2 Voigtlander. A can also take an extra body (mounted). The bag is quite deep so I can include either a 12mm Voigtlander or a 2x TC if I think I'll need either.

The "sleeve" for carrying a laptop or large tablet is a flat partition inside the bag that velcros to the side of the insert to protect the laptop. Of course it reduces the width of the useable space so YMMV. I only carry an iPad Mini and Kindle so they go in the zippered slot next to me where you can also store paperwork. Space in a zippered pocket in front for spare batteries and cards and a small charger.

The Wotancraft has straps underneath and fixed straps on top, also a recess between the front pocket and bag you might be able to slide a tripod through. I prefer to carry mine in a tripod bag over the opposite shoulder.

Definitely check the images on their website.

I also have and use an 18L backpack for the same kit though. I find on longer hikes (rather than walking around a city for eg) I prefer the comfort of a backpack. In the city I prefer not to have to put down the bag so I use the shoulder bag.

Hope this helps



Mar 14, 2024 at 11:46 AM
Norm Shapiro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?


You might consider the Tenba Fulton bags. I have both the smallest, 10L, and the largest. Bought after no longer needed my larger backpack bags.


Mar 14, 2024 at 04:40 PM
GiovanniAprea
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?


mcbroomf wrote:
I have and use the 10L. My lightweight kit is a Sony A7CR, 16-35mm PZ, 70-200 F4 II macro and 50mm F2 Voigtlander. A can also take an extra body (mounted). The bag is quite deep so I can include either a 12mm Voigtlander or a 2x TC if I think I'll need either.

The "sleeve" for carrying a laptop or large tablet is a flat partition inside the bag that velcros to the side of the insert to protect the laptop. Of course it reduces the width of the useable space so YMMV. I only carry an iPad Mini and
...Show more

It sure helps, grazie!

Yesterday for example I went for a hike to the beach here and along with my D850 I also took a D100 to shoot some film but in the 7L Retrospective I could only fit one body, the filters pouch and a table top tripod, it's ok, for everyday's it's fine while the 20L is way big and what I don't like is the proportions, it seems like slightly more rectangular than a perfect square, I don't need all that depth as I carry no long lenses anymore, the width to fit a 13" computer is welcome, the straps for the tripod are a meh option as I like to carry it handheld when I go around here, I have seen some video of the Wotancraft but somehow they look a little "biased" and that's why I wanted to know from somebody who uses it.

After all I have two Crumplers, laptop ones which I also use for a single camera, two ThinkTank Retrospective, a backpack which fits almost nothing in 18L space and a huge backpack my sis got me years ago but too big, maybe for a long trip but I hate the straps around the waist so before adding another piece I wanna make sure it fits what I need but not too bulky, ideally a pro camera with a big prime attached but no grip, one extra lens, space to fit filters, an extra lens, laptop and battery charger, it seems she Pilot 10L might fit the bill...




Mar 15, 2024 at 06:03 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

wordfool
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?


The 10 liter Pilot is a nice bag, especially if you get the two pouches that attach to it that give you even more flexibility and are great for accessories. I use it to carry my A1 and a couple of lenses. The only thing I don't like is the closure design -- the fidlock tends to get a bit balky if the bag is full and the lid is getting at all distorted. The design, while attractive, is also fairly bulky for the capacity -- I've had 10l bags that look smaller but hold just as much (Peak 10l sling comes to mind).


Mar 16, 2024 at 05:04 PM
GiovanniAprea
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?


wordfool wrote:
The 10 liter Pilot is a nice bag, especially if you get the two pouches that attach to it that give you even more flexibility and are great for accessories. I use it to carry my A1 and a couple of lenses. The only thing I don't like is the closure design -- the fidlock tends to get a bit balky if the bag is full and the lid is getting at all distorted. The design, while attractive, is also fairly bulky for the capacity -- I've had 10l bags that look smaller but hold just as much (Peak 10l
...Show more

For everyday's use I think the 7L Retrospective, even tho I don't like it being so "rigid", can do it, if I didn't have it I'd go for a Domke F3, it has been the nicest bag I owned, not the best to protect gear but so nice; I need the 10L either when I need to carry an extra body or a couple more lenses and accessories or when traveling so I can fit the laptop, its charger, paperwork, mobile bla bla, I gave a look at the PeakDesign 10L but I find it to be a little meh, too modern for my taste and, apparently, "rigid", is there any other 10L you'd suggest to look at?

Grazie



Mar 17, 2024 at 01:49 PM
wordfool
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anybody direct experience with Wotancraft 10L bag?


GiovanniAprea wrote:
For everyday's use I think the 7L Retrospective, even tho I don't like it being so "rigid", can do it, if I didn't have it I'd go for a Domke F3, it has been the nicest bag I owned, not the best to protect gear but so nice; I need the 10L either when I need to carry an extra body or a couple more lenses and accessories or when traveling so I can fit the laptop, its charger, paperwork, mobile bla bla, I gave a look at the PeakDesign 10L but I find it to be a little meh,
...Show more

I have version 1 of the Peak 10l and IMO it's nicer than the second version, but I understand your comment -- it's not for everyone and TBH I use it mainly to carry just a mounted 100-400 for a couple of hours, never for a full day with lots of gear. I don't have any other 10l bags. The nearest is the 13l Mindshift Exposure that I love (now discontinued, but they pop up on ebay) and I also have the slightly larger Exposure 15 that I use to carry my A1 with 200-600 mounted.

If you want a 10-ish liter bag more in the style of the Pilot and have money to burn then Billingham would be a good choice. The 207 or Hadley Large are IIRC about 10 liters. I've had larger Billinghams in the past and although I loved the workmanship I ended up selling them because they were just too bulky and heavy for what they carried. Ona makes similar "old-school" style bags (also pricey) -- the Prince Street is around the size you're looking for IIRC.



Mar 17, 2024 at 04:58 PM







FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.