New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end

which point and shoot?

ottokbre
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · which point and shoot?

geekcop wrote:
@Desmolicious@ Here are some photos of the AF Slim Zoom and the Slim Zoom 290 WS for comparison as promised. The 290 is definitely bigger and heavier (320g vs. 235g) than the regular AF Slim Zoom.

It just arrived today so I haven't shot with it yet to compare but it will feel different, I'm sure. It appears mine is just slightly quieter than my AF Slim Zoom, which is nice.

To activate the +/- 3EV you have to do a weird button combination where you hold the flash button and push the zoom buttons to make the EV change
...Show more

Wait, what is the snap mode? Is this like Ricoh snap focus mode?

The 290W 28mm version seems to be a Euro market model.

May 14, 2024 at 09:34 PM
geekcop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · which point and shoot?

Wait, what is the snap mode? Is this like Ricoh snap focus mode?

SNAP shooting set the lens at 28mm with preset focus distance that provides a crazy in depth of field of 3.6ft.-42.65 ft. I can use the button on the back without looking which is great. The Samsung AF Slim has a similar button but with a different depth of field as it uses the 35mm lens setting on that camera.

May 15, 2024 at 05:33 AM
dvoss
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · which point and shoot?

Desmolicious wrote:
I am unclear as to what that does.

When I was traveling through Japan on a couple of business trips in the mid-1990s, everything had Fuzzy Logic (TM). Washing machines, rice cookers - you name it. It was a marketing ploy based on a dim understanding of an area of mathematics that extended Boolean logic to continuous values. But it sounds warm and fuzzy. Whatever. Does it help you make better pictures? Hah.

May 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM
coralnut
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · which point and shoot?

It's a means of decision making in control systems that's based on utilizing incomplete data. It hasn't gone away, they've just given it a new name. In fact it's becoming more pervasive as it's the foundation of Artificial Intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic

May 15, 2024 at 10:22 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · which point and shoot?

Interestingly I have found out that fuzzy logic has resulted in blurry pics.

May 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM
madNbad
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · which point and shoot?

I thought Fuzzy Logic was the name of a band. Or a dog.

May 15, 2024 at 10:50 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · which point and shoot?

madNbad wrote:

I thought it was an IPA from a Humboldt County brewery.

May 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM
ottokbre
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · which point and shoot?

madNbad wrote:

Sounds like a 70s prog rock band to me

May 15, 2024 at 11:58 AM
ottokbre
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · which point and shoot?

SNAP shooting set the lens at 28mm with preset focus distance that provides a crazy in depth of field of 3.6ft.-42.65 ft. I can use the button on the back without looking which is great. The Samsung AF Slim has a similar button but with a different depth of field as it uses the 35mm lens setting on that camera.

Perfect! I got one on the way.

May 15, 2024 at 12:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

geekcop
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · which point and shoot?

Shot my first roll today with the 290WS. Easy to use. The viewfinder is difficult to look thru for some reason. You have to be lined up perfectly to use it and see the whole frame which is especially difficult when shooting verticals. Otherwise I like it. I used SNAP shooting for about 2/3's of my shots to see how well it works.

May 15, 2024 at 04:32 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · which point and shoot?

Perfect! I got one on the way.

Which one did you buy? I love the snap mode - you basically don't miss a shot which is super handy when I am wrestling with my two dogs while trying to take a shot.

May 15, 2024 at 05:17 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · which point and shoot?

Desmolicious wrote:
Interestingly I have found out that fuzzy logic has resulted in blurry pics.

I remember in the late 90s Samsung was marketing some of their washing machines as having fuzzy logic in Australia. One of the consumer review organisations tested some of them and noted on some settings a washing cycle could take eight hours.

I think fuzzy logic was a bit of a marketing gimmick and a form of not very smart AI before AI was a thing.

May 15, 2024 at 06:19 PM
ottokbre
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · which point and shoot?

Which one did you buy? I love the snap mode - you basically don't miss a shot which is super handy when I am wrestling with my two dogs while trying to take a shot.

I was searching for the 290WS and came across a 290G which is a curious designation. Has the 28-90 though. $30 shipped.

As soon as I put FP5 in my Sure Shot I realized I wanted a P&S for color film too. *shrug*

May 15, 2024 at 06:36 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · which point and shoot?

Geoff D F wrote:
I remember in the late 90s Samsung was marketing some of their washing machines as having fuzzy logic in Australia. One of the consumer review organisations tested some of them and noted on some settings a washing cycle could take eight hours.

I think fuzzy logic was a bit of a marketing gimmick and a form of not very smart AI before AI was a thing.

About 10 years ago I was visiting my Oma in Austria. Did some laundry at her place. Took hours for the washing machine to finish a cycle vs 40 mins with mine in the US. I could not believe how much better my clothes looked after using hers! "White" sport socks which had become grungy off white with darker heels were sparkling white again! No bleach used.

May 15, 2024 at 07:58 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · which point and shoot?

Desmolicious wrote:
About 10 years ago I was visiting my Oma in Austria. Did some laundry at her place. Took hours for the washing machine to finish a cycle vs 40 mins with mine in the US. I could not believe how much better my clothes looked after using hers! "White" sport socks which had become grungy off white with darker heels were sparkling white again! No bleach used.

Are you sure is not just a case of the crystal-clear waters fresh from the Austrian alps versus whatever comes out of the pipes in LA?

May 15, 2024 at 10:22 PM
ottokbre
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · which point and shoot?

Geoff D F wrote:
Are you sure is not just a case of the crystal-clear waters fresh from the Austrian alps versus whatever comes out of the pipes in LA?

Whenever I see some documentary about stalactites forming in an underground cave I point and say "oh that's just LA water"

When I lived in Switzerland our dishwasher took like half a day to run. You had to be pretty strategic about it.

May 16, 2024 at 12:02 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · which point and shoot?

Geoff D F wrote:

Our water is very, er, viscous.

May 16, 2024 at 02:04 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · which point and shoot?

Desmolicious wrote:
Our water is very, er, viscous.

Well that would be handy, having both nutritional and hydration value!

May 16, 2024 at 08:05 PM

FM Forums | Film Is Not Dead Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.