Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

"When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All Ab...

  
 
zeitlos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


I just came across this video and thought some might find it interesting. At least I did. So I‘m gonna share it with you






Mar 10, 2024 at 01:15 PM
Norm Shapiro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


The last minute or so is the best part. Otherwise he is just bragging about his stuff.


Mar 11, 2024 at 03:06 PM
zeitlos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


Interesting perception, since I don‘t share it.
I like that he boils it down to the essentials and says: buy what you like to shoot with. That sounds very simple, but it is exactly the opposite of the message you are usually given (namely to buy the (supposedly) best). I believe him because he has so much stuff that, as he says, he hardly ever uses. He always comes back to the same few devices, which he says work for him but must not work for anyone else. But clearly, if someone takes this as "bragging", the video is of little help.



Mar 11, 2024 at 03:15 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


Norm Shapiro wrote:
The last minute or so is the best part. Otherwise he is just bragging about his stuff.


actually he seems like any of the people here. the mantra being what is my next body or lens. he admits to lenses he has that are pretty much paperweights most of the time. he does seem to keep things he has.



Mar 11, 2024 at 03:28 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


Norm Shapiro wrote:
The last minute or so is the best part. Otherwise he is just bragging about his stuff.


actually he seems like any of the people here. the mantra being what is my next body or lens. he admits to lenses he has that are pretty much paperweights most of the time. he does seem to keep things he has. his rationale is the same but he does make more sense in many places.

his tee shirt works very well.

Edited on Mar 12, 2024 at 11:57 AM · View previous versions



Mar 11, 2024 at 03:29 PM
zeitlos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


In addition, I liked this video:



As I said, I like his pragmatic and honest approach. I learned more from it than watching multiple videos from other people on youtube. But as I see, people have different approaches so he might be just more or less useless for you.



Mar 11, 2024 at 03:33 PM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


The overall message is sensible. You are often more productive with tools you are comfortable and practiced with. Another camera or lens might be technically superior to the one you're using by some particular metric. But that familiar gear you can use reflexively might allow you to get a shot you'd otherwise miss fumbling with unfamiliar gear.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to hear the inner message when it's delivered by someone standing in front of shelves full of gear telling you that you don't need much gear. To learn what equipment you are most comfortable and productive using, you often need to try many different variations. It is the lucky few who find the ideal camera and lens on the first try. Most here (myself included) have gone through many iterations of gear over the years learning what works and doesn't work for our own needs.



Mar 12, 2024 at 10:34 AM
zeitlos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


jeffbuzz wrote:
The overall message is sensible. You are often more productive with tools you are comfortable and practiced with. Another camera or lens might be technically superior to the one you're using by some particular metric. But that familiar gear you can use reflexively might allow you to get a shot you'd otherwise miss fumbling with unfamiliar gear.


Absolutely! And then we (at least I) keep falling for technical promises instead of investing time in completely different things that could significantly advance photography.

jeffbuzz wrote Unfortunately, it is difficult to hear the inner message when it's delivered by someone standing in front of shelves full of gear telling you that you don't need much gear. To learn what equipment you are most comfortable and productive using, you often need to try many different variations. It is the lucky few who find the ideal camera and lens on the first try. Most here (myself included) have gone through many iterations of gear over the years learning what works and doesn't work for our own needs.

It's funny, that's exactly why I liked it so much, because I thought to myself: He must know, I believe him. He's been through everything.
But you're right, of course, you have to try things out to know what you want. Sometimes you take a few wrong steps only to realize that you could have actually saved yourself that much. That's exactly what I took from his story. Warning example. And that's how I understood him: "I have this, I have that, and then this and that" "And yet in principle I only need two cameras and 90% of the time two lenses".




Mar 12, 2024 at 10:55 AM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


I’ve followed him for several years and did a workshop with him. You must realize that he’s a fashion shooter for commercial outfits and that like most of them, he thus uses high-end gear.

But he hates the modern Hasselblad cameras and thus bought multiples of the discontinued H series so that he can use those as long as they work. He uses Leica SL now as well because he found them nicer to use than the Sony cameras he used to have.

He has a particular style of how he uses his gear (he never shoots vertical, for example, and just crops to vertical). He shoots tethered most of the time. And he’s obsessive about making sure something works the way he prefers it.

Light, posture and making the model look natural are much more important than gear for him. The workshop featured a bunch of Wilhelmina models, the top tier modeling agency in NYC, and he was teaching them stuff about how to show more of their personality on camera.

Edited on Mar 12, 2024 at 11:06 AM · View previous versions



Mar 12, 2024 at 10:57 AM
zeitlos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


johnvanr wrote:
He has a particular style of how he uses his gear (he never shoots vertical, for example, and just crops to vertical). He shoots tethered most of the time. And he’s obsessive about making sure something works the way he prefers it.



Thank you! Great, that you had the chance to directly learn from him. Really cool.

I just found him a few days ago and really like his approach a lot, even though I‘m shooting completely different things (right now).

What you said about vertical shooting etc. is addressed by him in the second video I linked in this thread. I really found it so helpful.

He says a lot of things that I really like. Simply pragmatic. He cuts off women's feet when he doesn't know which shoes would fit so that the image message corresponds to what he imagines. Or it cuts through joints etc., a no-go for many.

He apparently uses a car lift instead of a tripod. Even cooler.






Mar 12, 2024 at 11:05 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


zeitlos wrote:
Thank you! Great, that you had the chance to directly learn from him. Really cool.

I just found him a few days ago and really like his approach a lot, even though I‘m shooting completely different things (right now).

What you said about vertical shooting etc. is addressed by him in the second video I linked in this thread. I really found it so helpful.

He says a lot of things that I really like. Simply pragmatic. He cuts off women's feet when he doesn't know which shoes would fit so that the image message corresponds to what he imagines. Or
...Show more

Well, that’s just a pro studio tripod, but yeah, he’s a great teacher. He also works very hard. Bec, his assistant and regular model, actually just hung back during our shoots, as he does all the lighting himself instead of having the assistant do the heavy lifting, like so many others.

He does workshops regularly in the US and Europe and I can highly recommend them if you like model photography focused on capturing personality and beauty instead of just beauty, or even worse the same glamour stuff others focus on.





Mar 12, 2024 at 11:13 AM
zeitlos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


Thank you! Ah okay, „pro studio tripod“. Lost in translation

Anyway, if there‘s a chance to visit one of his workshops in Germany someday, I‘m definitely interested. Personality matters (most) to me.



Mar 12, 2024 at 11:15 AM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


johnvanr wrote:
I’ve followed him for several years and did a workshop with him. You must realize that he’s a fashion shooter for commercial outfits and that like most of them, he thus uses high-end gear.

But he hates the modern Hasselblad cameras and thus bought multiples of the discontinued H series so that he can use those as long as they work. He uses Leica SL now as well because he found them nicer to use than the Sony cameras he used to have.

He has a particular style of how he uses his gear (he never shoots vertical, for example, and
...Show more

That is exactly why I was disappointed he only spoke about his camera and lens choices. For studio, commercial and fashion work, lighting is far more important and often far more expensive than the image capture device. I'd wager any of the example images he discussed utilized lighting which exceeded the value of the camera by 2x or 3x. I would be very curious if he's using the same 2 meter parabolics and 1200w lights on every shoot. Or he works with a variety of lighting setups.




Mar 12, 2024 at 11:21 AM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


jeffbuzz wrote:
That is exactly why I was disappointed he only spoke about his camera and lens choices. For studio, commercial and fashion work, lighting is far more important and often far more expensive than the image capture device. I'd wager any of the example images he discussed utilized lighting which exceeded the value of the camera by 2x or 3x. I would be very curious if he's using the same 2 meter parabolics and 1200w lights on every shoot. Or he works with a variety of lighting setups.



That’s not what this video was about. Watch his YT channel and/or his paid educational channel and you’ll see he uses everything possible, including natural light quite often. During the workshop, on one day we just walked a few blocks of NYC while he pointed out how we could use the light and then challenged us to find it for ourselves.



Mar 12, 2024 at 11:49 AM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


zeitlos wrote:
Thank you! Ah okay, „pro studio tripod“. Lost in translation

Anyway, if there‘s a chance to visit one of his workshops in Germany someday, I‘m definitely interested. Personality matters (most) to me.


He’s in your neck of the woods this summer: https://workshops.peter-coulson.com.au/?c=cf13ce20305c



Mar 12, 2024 at 11:52 AM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


His advice is hardly relevant to wildlife, sports, and landscape photography. A studio photographer has complete control over lighting, subject, etc. Of course he does not need or find useful the features than many newer mirrorless cameras have because he does not shoot under the same circumstances as other photographers do.

Modern cameras are also more capable of capturing many types of photography that older cameras simply can't do.



Mar 12, 2024 at 12:26 PM
zeitlos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


Imagemaster wrote:
Of course he does not need or find useful the features than many newer mirrorless cameras have because he does not shoot under the same circumstances as other photographers do.


Indeed. He even goes one step further. He literally says that all he does is tell people how he does things. He would never say others have to do it the same way, even if it's about studio work. I like this attitude.



Mar 12, 2024 at 12:37 PM
jeffbuzz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


johnvanr wrote:
That’s not what this video was about. Watch his YT channel and/or his paid educational channel and you’ll see he uses everything possible, including natural light quite often. During the workshop, on one day we just walked a few blocks of NYC while he pointed out how we could use the light and then challenged us to find it for ourselves.


I should have clarified that I was looking at the second video relative to the example images. But it is good to know that there's likely a variety of lighting solutions being used. I have since watched a few of his videos that do show the lighting setups and they are refreshingly simple. Umbrellas, softboxes, scrims, bounce. Very approachable.



Mar 12, 2024 at 12:49 PM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


Imagemaster wrote:
His advice is hardly relevant to wildlife, sports, and landscape photography. A studio photographer has complete control over lighting, subject, etc. Of course he does not need or find useful the features than many newer mirrorless cameras have because he does not shoot under the same circumstances as other photographers do.

Modern cameras are also more capable of capturing many types of photography that older cameras simply can't do.


True, but the only reason that matters is because it’s now posted here. His videos are never about anything else but model photography and I think the message to take away from this is that some gear makes us want to shoot and other gear just doesn’t.

I like your curmudgeon personality, but don’t become gdanmitchell please, posting the obvious in 1500 words.



Mar 12, 2024 at 05:43 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "When I've got this in my hand I can create" – It's Not All About The Gear


johnvanr wrote:
True, but the only reason that matters is because it’s now posted here. His videos are never about anything else but model photography and I think the message to take away from this is that some gear makes us want to shoot and other gear just doesn’t.


There are many more threads not being posted in the most appropriate forum than there used to be years ago. The option of double-posting to a second forum just caused more confusion and confrontational comments. Remember when there used to be three moderators? The N&W Forum used to have a restriction of posting a maximum of five images per thread and only posting one new thread per day. Now you can get 20 to 30 images posted.

I like your curmudgeon personality, but don’t become gdanmitchell please, posting the obvious in 1500 words.

Geez, I would get finger cramps trying to keep up to him, and that would make me a narcissistic curmudgeon.



Mar 12, 2024 at 08:10 PM
       2       end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.