Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

Thinking 50 mostly, but others are welcome, too.

Mar 01, 2024 at 01:57 PM
hanay78
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

I have 50 mark IV and I use it a lot because of its size. It has a nice rendering, but I believe like other well know fellow users I am kind of deceived about some aspects of Leica lenses.

Concretely the inner reflections of this lens are very significant. Not good to shoot in the night and with the sun in it. Those are SOOC from a bracketing I did to estimate the good exposition.

I was maybe one kilometer away, in very faint lightning:

reflexiones by Jorge_78, en Flickr

In detail:

reflexiones_detail by Jorge_78, en Flickr

I do not consider this a challenging situation. I believe the bluish spots (very small ones) are caused by a b+w protective filter. The orange ones are inner reflections. I am not so sure this cron it is worth the money I paid for it. Of the Mandler glass, and in spite of its prestige, it is provable the one that satisfies me less.

RustyBug wrote:
Thinking 50 mostly, but others are welcome, too.

Mar 01, 2024 at 02:40 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

My guess is this isn’t the CRON you are talking about but the Leica 50 APO Summicron is by far my favorite.

I just love the rendering and when you want it, clinical sharpness. They seem to blend very nicely when you want them to-

I would probably keep this lens as my only 50 if I was made to choose-

I also love how it deals with flare- You can really shoot into the sun when needed with this lens and it holds up incredible well-

Last shot is directly into the sun on a Monochrome sensor-

LEICA M11 Monochrom    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/2500s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/2000s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11 Monochrom    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.8    1/350s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11 Monochrom    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.4    1/4000s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11 Monochrom    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/9.5    1/2500s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11 Monochrom    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/250s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M11 Monochrom    Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/250s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 01, 2024 at 09:21 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

I greatly enjoy - but use too rarely - the 50 pre-ASPH v4.

Hop on by Jim, on Flickr

Is this Ireland?...no, it's the central coast by Jim, on Flickr

Back when I had an M9, I absolutely loved the 35 Cron ASPH:

Fall-en youth by Jim, on Flickr

Serpentine by Jim, on Flickr

Jim

Mar 01, 2024 at 10:24 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

I am always pleased with the ergonomics, size, and images when shooting my 50mm cron v5.

Mar 01, 2024 at 11:07 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

Easy, APO-Summicron-R 180/2

I don't like the Summicron-R 50 very much because it has way too much purple fringing at f2, so is effectively useless wide open for colour. It's great for B+W, and colour as a landscape lens when stopped down.

Mar 02, 2024 at 12:17 AM
Rob L
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

All non-APO Summicron 50s flare badly. Lots of love on this forum and elsewhere for the Type II Rigid (and close focus)

Mar 02, 2024 at 09:03 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

Rob L wrote:
All non-APO Summicron 50s flare badly. Lots of love on this forum and elsewhere for the Type II Rigid (and close focus)

Any idea how the flare compares to the 40 Cron (similar, less, more). That's my strongest flare glass, atm.

Mar 02, 2024 at 09:09 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

RustyRus wrote:
My guess is this isn’t the CRON you are talking about but the Leica 50 APO Summicron is by far my favorite.

I just love the rendering and when you want it, clinical sharpness. They seem to blend very nicely when you want them to-

I would probably keep this lens as my only 50 if I was made to choose-

I also love how it deals with flare- You can really shoot into the sun when needed with this lens and it holds up incredible well-

Last shot is directly into the sun on a Monochrome sensor-

Yeah, probably not looking for the APO, but those are some nice ones.

I checked out it's MTF vs. the V.
OMG, that APO is "tight and right" in a quantum leap kind of way, particularly at the 40 llpm and how far it extends correction into the field / corners, in general. I mean, 40 llpm starts WO at 75%, and is at 80% from 2.8 on.

Just for reference, I compared the MTF of the V vs. my 35 Cron ASPH, and they are similar (as one might expect). I'm trying to find something with a rendering the sits between my 40 Cron and my 35 Cron ASPH. I dig my 40 Cron, but it leaves me wanting just a little bit more (resolving). And yet, I don't pull out my 35 Cron for certain things, because it's a bit more "clinical" than I want.

Yeah, splittin' hairs a bit on this one ... so, I'm curious about the Cron in V3 vs. 4 / 5, etc.

Mar 02, 2024 at 09:18 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

I find that v4 and v5 have a bit more contrast compared to the v3. I also find that Leica use different coating over time so the v5 has the most modern color rendering compared with v4 and v3. Since you have the 40 Cron, the v3 is more similar in terms of flare resistance, resolution and color rendering. I should point out that the focus action is different on v3 compared with other versions as it has a longer focus turn (almost double) from 0.7m to infinity. Personally, I like that, which allowed me to get better focus accuracy sometime but other may not because the focus action is different than the typical 60-degree turn for most of Leica lenses. When I use monochrome bodies, I like the Crom Rigid (v1) and v3 better since they have less contrast but excellent resolving power even in low light conditions.

Mar 02, 2024 at 10:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Edward Teller
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

What follows is very subjective, and a distinctly personal opinion based more on using it for a good while, and not on charts, just the results as they appeared to me. Overall, regardless of its other qualities, the photos I was producing with the 35 Cron ASPH, did not “give me joy”, while those from the v4 35 Cron do. Mostly. The photographer did not change, the lens did. Photos out of the v4 just seem gentler, yet more than sharp enough where it matters, IMO, and more “of a piece”, and there is little bad that can be said about the color rendition. Sort of a Goldilocks 35 for me. But, worth noting that I’m old enough to have grown up in a time when the dominant esthetic was not SOOC oversharpened and contrast boosted iphone photos. If I could be the reincarnation of Saul Leiter I’d be happy, more or less.

Had the v5 50 ASPH for a long while, and certainly got some results I was very happy with, but the propensity to flare was absurd, as others have long noted. Almost a cottage industry of people listing vastly cheaper lenses that were engineered better in this regard.
Even though I did find the 35 ASPH, to be, yes “too clinical”, I am not seeing any of “that” in the photos posted above from the 50 APO, so there is more going on here than just resolving power. Am currently without a 50 Cron of any sort, because I am not sufficiently motivated by any of the earlier ones (again, personal and subjective, but the relatively inexpensive 50/1.8 Nikkor Z lens does everything I wished the v5 50 could have done, and more) but the 50 APO seems to tick all the boxes for me in rendering, though not for cost, at the present time.

Mar 02, 2024 at 01:30 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

For the past few years, I've used my APO Cron 50 more than other 50mm lenses. I find that it offers great resolution, not just in the center portion but even towards the far edges of the frame. Yet, I don't feel it's too 'clinical'.

© ocean2059 2024

M9 Digital Camera    50 mm f/2 lens    50mm    f/5.7    1/750s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

© ocean2059 2024

M9 Digital Camera    50 mm f/2 lens    50mm    f/8.0    1/250s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 02, 2024 at 09:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

Edward Teller wrote:
What follows is very subjective, and a distinctly personal opinion based more on using it for a good while, and not on charts, just the results as they appeared to me. Overall, regardless of its other qualities, the photos I was producing with the 35 Cron ASPH, did not “give me joy”, while those from the v4 35 Cron do. Mostly. The photographer did not change, the lens did. Photos out of the v4 just seem gentler, yet more than sharp enough where it matters, IMO, and more “of a piece”, and there is little bad that can be
...Show more

"not on charts" ... +1 for they are only an indicator, that doesn't tell the whole story. I mostly use the charts for "relative reference".

+1 for not seeing "that" look of the 35 ASPH in the 50 APO pics above. I dig the pics, but not sure I'm up for the 50 APO. That would require some deep rethinking about things for me.

Mar 02, 2024 at 10:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

ocean2059 wrote:
I find that v4 and v5 have a bit more contrast compared to the v3. I also find that Leica use different coating over time so the v5 has the most modern color rendering compared with v4 and v3. Since you have the 40 Cron, the v3 is more similar in terms of flare resistance, resolution and color rendering. I should point out that the focus action is different on v3 compared with other versions as it has a longer focus turn (almost double) from 0.7m to infinity. Personally, I like that, which allowed me to get better focus accuracy
...Show more

I'm okay with the longer throw.

Mar 02, 2024 at 10:10 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

RustyBug wrote:
"not on charts" ... +1 for they are only an indicator, that doesn't tell the whole story. I mostly use the charts for "relative reference".

+1 for not seeing "that" look of the 35 ASPH in the 50 APO pics above. I dig the pics, but not sure I'm up for the 50 APO. That would require some deep rethinking about things for me.

Have you thought about the Cron 50 Rigid version? For characters and B&W, many really like that lens, especially on higher MP bodies. Compared with v3/4/5, the Rigid has better resolution wide open but with less contrast. But the rendering characters are more unique for Rigid, smooth and gentle.

© ocean2059 2024

M Monochrom    Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (III) lens    50mm    f/3.5    1/3000s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

© ocean2059 2024

M Monochrom    Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (III) lens    50mm    f/6.5    1/125s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

© ocean2059 2024

M Monochrom    Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (III) lens    50mm    f/3.0    1/750s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Mar 02, 2024 at 10:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

ocean2059 wrote:
Have you thought about the Cron 50 Rigid version? For characters and B&W, many really like that lens, especially on higher MP bodies. Compared with v3/4/5, the Rigid has better resolution wide open but with less contrast. But the rendering characters are more unique for Rigid, smooth and gentle.

That's the basis for the thread ... to give me things to think about. I recognize that I don't know much about the diff's in the Cron lineup, so I'm hoping to get some framework understanding of the diffs.

Smooth, gentle, resolution sounds good. Contrast can be PP'd a bit. I'll look into the rigid a bit.

Mar 02, 2024 at 10:25 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

RustyBug wrote:
Any idea how the flare compares to the 40 Cron (similar, less, more). That's my strongest flare glass, atm.

I have both and the 40 Cron is worse at handling flare. The 50 v5 is no champ - my lowly CV 50 Color Skopar does better - but the 40 is worse than the 50.

Mar 02, 2024 at 10:56 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

Rob L wrote:

RustyBug wrote:

I have the 50 Rigid and happen to have these flare examples:

I shot them to get an idea of how it compared to the 50 Lux ASPH and also the LLL 35 Cron v1 replica, which has very different flare qualities:

The Rigid is more a veiling type of flare whereas the 35 Cron replica is much more 'artful' and can be really provoked into these fantastical strings of ghosts. (The Canon 35/2 LTM is very similar.)

The only other Cron I have is the 90AA M-mount and it's a much more perfect lens. Very transparent. But like a lot of Leica M glass also has a tendency towards veiling flare.

Edward Teller wrote:
Am currently without a 50 Cron of any sort, because I am not sufficiently motivated by any of the earlier ones (again, personal and subjective, but the relatively inexpensive 50/1.8 Nikkor Z lens does everything I wished the v5 50 could have done, and more) but the 50 APO seems to tick all the boxes for me in rendering, though not for cost, at the present time.

It could be that the 50 Cron AA is a totally different design philosophy (Karbe) that combines sheer technical performance with apparently an aesthetic rendering intent, rather than an afterthought. That said the 50 Cron AA was not without flare problems that were at the root of a recall early in its release (not sure if it was fully resolved).

I have a feeling I would very much gel with the 50 Cron AA but cost has primarily kept me from acquiring one. The thought is the VM 50/2 APO might be an alternative, but suspect would be a different animal.

Edward Teller wrote:
Overall, regardless of its other qualities, the photos I was producing with the 35 Cron ASPH, did not “give me joy”, while those from the v4 35 Cron do. Mostly. The photographer did not change, the lens did. Photos out of the v4 just seem gentler, yet more than sharp enough where it matters, IMO, and more “of a piece”, and there is little bad that can be said about the color rendition. Sort of a Goldilocks 35 for me.

Sample images from the soon to be released Mr. Ding 35/1.8 caught my eye... $600. From their site: "Tribute to the classic: The basis of 35/1.8 is an optimized design based on a classic lens structure such as Leica 35/2 (IV). In the center area there is a higher sharpness, as well as a comfortable picture transparency."

Edited on Mar 03, 2024 at 05:27 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2024 at 01:24 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is your favorite Cron version ... ???

Very beautiful photographs!

rscheffler wrote:
I have the 50 Rigid and happen to have these flare examples:

https://i.postimg.cc/d30Gtgqg/20210507-0396.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/WzfgDSzz/20210507-0400.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4NDHrYhD/20210507-0526.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/t4Fny93Y/20210507-0534.jpg

I shot them to get an idea of how it compared to the 50 Lux ASPH and also the LLL 35 Cron v1 replica, which has very different flare qualities:

https://i.postimg.cc/QxPq4NbP/20210507-0365.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/QCffxpcx/20210507-0493.jpg

The Rigid is more a veiling type of flare whereas the 35 Cron replica is much more 'artful' and can be really provoked into these fantastical strings of ghosts. (The Canon 35/2 LTM is very similar.)

The only other Cron I have is the 90AA M-mount and it's a much more perfect lens. Very transparent. But like a lot of
...Show more

Mar 03, 2024 at 04:58 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.