New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

I just picked this up used from Adorama for a whopping $99.
It's tiny, chunky but not too much so, and so far I'm pretty pleased with the look. Gives a little bit of swirlz in the bokeh, def has some field curvature and distortion, but it's a $100 full-frame 35/1.4.... hard to complain!

The biggest thing, for me, is that it's a TINY native L-mount fast 35.
Today was my first day shooting with it, I'll add some sample photos once I have some decent ones.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RexYwGyz4n3vUZES7

This is my second L-mount alt 35, I still have my Kipon Iberit 35/2.4, which is another unique lens with a more classic rendering. I really prefer 28mm, but there's not many options for a 28mm that is small, fast, affordable, *and* L-mount.... So 35 is a decent daily-carry substitute. This FP+35/1.4 kit in the photos linked above set me back $1000 and is capable of some nice photos and videos in a very small footprint. I'm looking forward to travelling with it. I've also got the Mr Ding 35 1.8 on order, but I don't like that I will also need to pick up a decent adapter for it.

Feb 29, 2024 at 09:35 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPk5B6yrMGQQj7M78

Some photos over the last two days with my FP.

Most are wide open.

Mar 03, 2024 at 04:36 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

Added more shots to the above linked album.
Really enjoying this lens. It's tiny and has a great look.

Mar 08, 2024 at 08:21 AM
bjhurley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

Getting an M-mount adapter for L-mount is worth it if you get one with the close-focus helicoid. It not only opens you up to many more lenses than native L-mount, but the close-focus helicoid allows you to focus closer than you could otherwise and you're pushing the lens beyond what it was designed for...which often creates really gorgeous bokeh and interesting effects. I shoot on Sony but only own one e-mount lens and rarely use it. Adapters for M-mount are small and don't add much size or weight, and since most m-mount (and LTM mount) lenses are small to begin with you're still ending up with a small, light, portable package. Note that LTM lenses can be adapted to M with a thin ring adapter, so that opens up a whole other realm of lenses, most of which are older and often more affordable than m-mount.

Mar 08, 2024 at 08:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

Yeah I'm aware of the merits of adapting lenses, I've been doing it for nearly 20 years.
I'm also aware of the hassles associated with buying and adapting decades-old optics. I live in Japan so I have unique access to old Canon and Nikon rangefinder glass. The Canon 35/2 LTM is one of my all time favorites, but getting a cheap one vs a clean one without issues is a massive delta in price, and ultimately I would rather buy modern stuff in native mount if it's an option. Fussing with adapters, ultimately, is an added hassle that detracts from the experience.

Mar 08, 2024 at 11:14 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

@ISO1600 does your Iberit 35 have oily aperture blades? My m mount version did new from the factory and I found out it was a common issue with that lens.

Mar 09, 2024 at 11:09 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

ISO1600 wrote:
Yeah I'm aware of the merits of adapting lenses, I've been doing it for nearly 20 years.
I'm also aware of the hassles associated with buying and adapting decades-old optics. I live in Japan so I have unique access to old Canon and Nikon rangefinder glass. The Canon 35/2 LTM is one of my all time favorites, but getting a cheap one vs a clean one without issues is a massive delta in price, and ultimately I would rather buy modern stuff in native mount if it's an option. Fussing with adapters, ultimately, is an added hassle that detracts from
...Show more

I have a similar opinion as you when it comes to adapting glass. I have tons of m glass and some great adapters, but, I just don't like the experience from start to finish. (I like to shoot RF lenses on my RF)
The little 35 you have looks amazing for $100. I remember owning a similar lens (maybe it was the 7A 50/1.4?) that I really liked. I like the size and style of this 35 much better. Looks like the Sigma "I" series.
I don't own an L mount body anymore, but would be interested in seeing some more shots with more light.
What a deal.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:32 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7artisans 35mm f1.4 II (full frame) thoughts

Desmolicious wrote:
@ISO1600@ does your Iberit 35 have oily aperture blades? My m mount version did new from the factory and I found out it was a common issue with that lens.

Nope, mine is clean. I got it used here in Japan and I love it, but switching back to Canon R because dealing with fiddly adapters, manual lenses, and no option of good AF (FP's AF suuuuuuucks) has just been frustrating.

Getting an R8, might grab a RF-mount copy of the 35/1.4, because it is tiny and I do really like the look from it.

When it comes to the adapting vs native, I am ok with manual lenses with they are native mount and especially if the mount/system is designed for it, like Leica M. Manual lenses also work fairly well on Fuji.
Adapting lenses... you have the added cost of getting a perfect adapter, different adapters for different lenses, duplicates if necessary, etc etc. It's just over the line of what I can tolerate more than in short bursts lol.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.