New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Waterproof cameras for snorkelling?

Geoff D F
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waterproof cameras for snorkelling?

I'm going on a holiday mid-year where snorkelling coral reefs (not scuba) will be part of the fun. I have an old Olympus TG3, which I have used previously on such trips and has sufficient waterproofing for my needs. From memory it is rated to about 15m, which is more than enough for me.

The main issue with the Olympus is that the IQ is not that great - think 5-year-old phone camera quality. I'm wondering whether anyone has experience with more recent waterproof point and shoots and whether the IQ has improved significantly? I expect it hasn't because they all seem to still use very small sensors. I'm open to suggestions but if IQ hasn't improved much I'll probably just stick with the TG3. I'm not interested in using a waterproof housing for a larger camera.

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waterproof cameras for snorkelling?

I'd use my phone, in a WP bag; like a baggie, but tougher and made for purpose.

Feb 26, 2024 at 07:55 AM
theHUN
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waterproof cameras for snorkelling?

I had used a TG-5 on numerous trips, and I was happy with it. I scratched the front element at one point, which impacted IQ, so I decided to "upgrade" to a Leica X-U. I find the X-U to be much slower to focus than the TG-5. It also has a couple of quirks that I find a bit annoying.

Feb 26, 2024 at 01:13 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waterproof cameras for snorkelling?

https://au.aquatech.net/collections/joby-seapal-collection/products/joby-seapal-waterproof-case?utm_campaign=SEA%20PAL&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Ad%20group%201&utm_term=iphone%20case&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAivGuBhBEEiwAWiFmYSvOP5vSzqMVgO6xqFmyypcQGT_H8MLNomeV8KDLNxhCKqoCYInCdBoCtGoQAvD_BwE

Gordon

Feb 26, 2024 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.