New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

ZF command wheel issue.

Pikal
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ZF command wheel issue.

Both command wheels have stopped working to adjust the aperture, shutter speed and exposure comp. They work when reviewing pictures.
I can adjust the aperture if I set that to a ring on the lens. I have tried multiple lenses, reset the camera's custom settings and set the camera back to its defaults. I updated to the latest firmware and no help. Aperture priority, shutter priority and manual all do the same thing, which is nothing. The custom control menu shows the wheels are assigned correctly.
This is why I shouldn't own anything with menus as complicated as a Nikon, reasonably sure it is something I did, after two weeks of fiddling with it I need help.

Edited on Feb 21, 2024 at 04:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:28 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ZF command wheel issue.

Pikal wrote:
Both command wheels have stopped working to adjust aperture, shutter speed and exposure comp. They work when reviewing pictures.
I can adjust the aperture if I set that to a ring on the lens. I have tried multiple lenses, reset the cameras custom settings and set the camera back to it's defaults. I updated to the laest firmware and no help. Aperture priority, shutter priority and manual all do the same thing. The custom control menu shows the wheels are assigned correctly.
This is why I shouldn't own anything with menus as complicated as a Nikon, reasonable sure it is something I
...Show more

If the camera is set to shoot in manual mode , do they still not work ? and turn off Auto ISO also.

Feb 21, 2024 at 02:17 PM
Pikal
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ZF command wheel issue.

Same behavior in manual mode, nothing.

I am sure I have tried it in both ISO modes, but I was recently trying to find a way to live with the ISO dial and turning auto on and off, I will check this to be certain.

Thank you!

Feb 21, 2024 at 04:11 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ZF command wheel issue.

Does changing the aperture/shutter speed via the touchscreen work?

Feb 21, 2024 at 04:54 PM
Kry27
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ZF command wheel issue.

Have you got a little "L" icon in the finder indicating aperture and shutter speed are locked?

Custom setting f4 locks these:

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z8/en/csmf_control_lock_guid-83eb8e9c-84cb-a039-cde0-14ccb0caa1d6_232.html

This is from Z8 which I know. ZF might have the setting numbered differently from f4. Or no such setting at all?

Feb 21, 2024 at 05:13 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ZF command wheel issue.

Kry27 wrote:
Have you got a little "L" icon in the finder indicating aperture and shutter speed are locked?

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z8/en/csmf_control_lock_guid-83eb8e9c-84cb-a039-cde0-14ccb0caa1d6_232.html

This is from Z8 which I know. ZF might have the setting numbered differently from f4. Or no such setting at all?

I searched the Zf manual for "lock" when I read the OP and didn't see any setting like what exists on the Z8/9.

Feb 21, 2024 at 06:06 PM
Pikal
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ZF command wheel issue.

JustShootMe wrote:
If the camera is set to shoot in manual mode , do they still not work ? and turn off Auto ISO also.

Actually I was wrong in my first reply, after further testing the rear wheel always works, for Av, Tv or manual, regardless of the mode I'm in. It is only the front wheel that is inoperative. When I further examined playing back stored pictures the rear wheel works but the front wheel will flick to a different picture for an instant and then right back. I think I have a bad front wheel.

Feb 21, 2024 at 07:36 PM
Pikal
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ZF command wheel issue.

snapsy wrote:
Does changing the aperture/shutter speed via the touchscreen work?

It does work using the touch screen.

Feb 21, 2024 at 07:36 PM
Pikal
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ZF command wheel issue.

Kry27 wrote:

I have not been able to find a similar setting on the ZF, I thank you very much for the suggestion!

Feb 21, 2024 at 07:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ZF command wheel issue.

Pikal wrote:
It does work using the touch screen.

Can you switch to movie mode, set the expsoure to M, and see if the dials work in that mode?

Feb 21, 2024 at 07:59 PM
Pikal
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ZF command wheel issue.

snapsy wrote:
Can you switch to movie mode, set the expsoure to M, and see if the dials work in that mode?

At your suggestion I just tried it, the rear wheel works but not the front, when I switch in the custom controls and move Av to the rear wheel the aperture works and shutter speed does not. Looks like the front wheel is wonky. It will sometimes flick to the next value for an instant and revert back to what it was set on. Thank you for the suggestion!

Feb 21, 2024 at 08:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ZF command wheel issue.

Pikal wrote:
At your suggestion I just tried it, the rear wheel works but not the front, when I switch in the custom controls and move Av to the rear wheel the aperture works and shutter speed does not. Looks like the front wheel is wonky. It will sometimes flick to the next value for an instant and revert back to what it was set on. Thank you for the suggestion!

Good, that's progress. If one of the controls is stuck or malfunctioning it will prevent input from other controls from being registered, so your observation about the front wheel being intermittent could explain why the rear wheel also stops working even though it otherwise seems to work.

Let's troubleshoot the front wheel fully. Go into image playback and see if the front-wheel is wonky there. On my Z6 a turn of the wheel advances playback by +/- 10 photos, depending on the direction. See if it does that consistently and reliably. If not, see if the problem is specific to one direction of the spin vs the other.

Feb 21, 2024 at 08:27 PM
Pikal
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ZF command wheel issue.

snapsy wrote:
Good, that's progress. If one of the controls is stuck or malfunctioning it will prevent input from other controls from being registered, so your observation about the front wheel being intermittent could explain why the rear wheel also stops working even though it otherwise seems to work.

Let's troubleshoot the front wheel fully. Go into image playback and see if the front-wheel is wonky there. On my Z6 a turn of the wheel advances playback by +/- 10 photos, depending on the direction. See if it does that consistently and reliably. If not, see if the problem is specific to one
...Show more

On the ZF it seems the wheel advances forward and back through the images. Front wheel still wonky, every few clicks it will flick to the next image and then flick back, same behavior turning wheel either way. If I turn wheel for 20 to 30 turns I can get it to advance to the next picture. Wheel clicks feel ok.

Feb 21, 2024 at 08:43 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ZF command wheel issue.

Pikal wrote:
On the ZF it seems the wheel advances forward and back through the images. Front wheel still wonky, every few clicks it will flick to the next image and then flick back, same behavior turning wheel either way. If I turn wheel for 20 to 30 turns I can get it to advance to the next picture. Wheel clicks feel ok.

Ok, sounds like you've gotten to the root of the issue. How long have you had the camera?

Feb 21, 2024 at 08:57 PM
Pikal
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ZF command wheel issue.

snapsy wrote:
Ok, sounds like you've gotten to the root of the issue. How long have you had the camera?

About four months or so, long enough to need to send it to Nikon. This is just one of those things, but as far as I can remember it didn't get knocked, dropped or wet.
I appreciate you help and your patience, very nice of you!

Feb 21, 2024 at 09:27 PM
bernardl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ZF command wheel issue.

Before sending it I would try a full reset of the settings.

Feb 22, 2024 at 06:03 PM
Kent_Photo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ZF command wheel issue.

Can the functions of the front and rear wheel be changed somewhere in the controls? Change front wheel to shutter speed and rear to aperture in manual, etc. If the rear wheel now doesn't work right, it might be something more than the front wheel itself.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.