1       2       3              9      
       11       end

New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Desmolicious wrote:
Cosina has been very smart with the non collapsible collapsible lens.

You get to impress bystanders who think you are a man of means and exquisite taste when they see you leicaman-handle that lens.
But you never have to worry about it impacting your sensor or sucking in some Sony user's dust.

This is a gewinnen-gewinnen outcome.

Perhaps Cosina was worried we'd have to seek emergency treatment if the lens didn't collapse after a few hours

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:01 PM
mboy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

As much as Cosina thinks it was a rational choice to do so I think it would of been far better from a sales perspective to offer an APO collapsible lens. It'd be an engineering feat. I don't think many consumers who have adapted collapsible lenses on their mirrorless cameras have complained about dust in their camera or lenses. The whole unit itself 'straight' out pumps in and out anyway...

I probably sense it was rather a production cost issue more than anything. Really disappointing. A faux collapsible...To add insult to injury Typoch just release an actual collapsible lens

I might go to the skopar to get my 'compact' lens fix.😆

Feb 28, 2024 at 05:04 AM
d.s.
• • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Fred Miranda wrote:
I was informed that it was a tough decision, but ultimately, "the air moving in/out with by collapsing brought too much dust to the sensor."

I must have a magical Elmar-M (or a thin layer of dust covering the entire sensor evenly that makes my photos look especially “vintage”).

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:59 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Gotta be lots of considerations here, notwithstanding highdesertmesa's headache about all this. With the proliferation of competent M lenses by almost every eyeglass maker in the Chinese dystopia, Cosina, who had made collapsibles in the past, needed to keep the price-point somewhere. Alignment of the elements in true APO lenses requires tighter tolerances and perhaps the cost for a more precise collapsing mechanism would have been prohibitive. Aside from all this hand wringing & head banging, try to keep in mind that whereas Cosina keeps innovating and creating novel M-mount glass, Leica has instead focused on unaffordable bling, Chinese makers pump out reverse-engineered mid-20th century replicas and Zeiss has all but turned its back on the segment.

Mar 02, 2024 at 09:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Perhaps Cosina anticipated that many users would not appreciate the Type I collapsible style, because in reality, is non-collapsible. This design might have been seen as controversial. To address this, they offered the Type II as an alternative option. Both lenses are very compact APO lenses compared to the current 50/2 APO-Lanthar, which makes sense as the latter is almost two stops brighter. Either way, if someone wants a more compact 50 APO lens that focuses very close, this could be a great option.

Mar 03, 2024 at 11:38 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Obviously, the true purpose of the “waist” on the faux-collapsible APO Lanthar is to facilitate tying a dummy cord, for tethering the lens cap. I spend too much money on replacement lens caps.

Mar 03, 2024 at 12:51 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

RexGig0 wrote:
Obviously, the true purpose of the “waist” on the faux-collapsible APO Lanthar is to facilitate tying a dummy cord, for tethering the lens cap. I spend too much money on replacement lens caps.

Highly versatile to accommodate:

Dreamcatcher
Automotive fragrance dangler
Emergency whistle
Gold chains
Microfiber lens cleaning cloth
Donut for later
Sweat band
Rubber bands
Custom 2-piece snap-together wrap-around snow globe

Honestly, though, it would be super cool if Cosina were to laser etch something unique on the waist area such as the optical element design or other plaque like the original LLL SPII 50 prototypes had.

Mar 03, 2024 at 09:49 PM
tri_fin
• •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Wonder when they will launch? It seems like the skopar will launch before the apo? Hopefully not too long

Mar 06, 2024 at 08:11 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

tri_fin wrote:
Wonder when they will launch? It seems like the skopar will launch before the apo? Hopefully not too long

I think the first release from this new lineup could get a release date in April (at the earliest) and could then be officially announced on 3/15. My guess is that one of the VMs could be first and the 75/1.5 mirrorless lenses in-between and the remaining VM at the end. Perhaps the Color-Skopar could be first in line. Just guessing though... Last year the first of the CP+ pre-announced lenses came out in May though.

Also wondering if the 3 75/1.5 versions will come out at the same time or one by one on separate months. Since 50/1 in E is coming out sometime in March I'd expect 75/1.5 for E to come out a few months later (i.e. not in April at least).

Mar 06, 2024 at 09:07 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Any pricing news?

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Desmolicious wrote:
Any pricing news?

If any of the new lenses will be for April release, the official announcement for that lens would most likely come today 3pm JST, so about 1h from now. I'll post here right after 3pm either with some news or none (if nothing is announced today it most likely means no new release for April and then we have to wait one more month for possible May release announcement).

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:59 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Allright, so Cosina announced Canon RF 75/1.5 today for April release, and no others as of now. So new lenses introduced at CP+ are starting to come out from April (probably one new release per month), but no VMs yet.

https://www.cosina.co.jp/news/%e3%83%95%e3%82%a9%e3%82%af%e3%83%88%e3%83%ac%e3%83%b3%e3%83%80%e3%83%bcnokton-75mm-f1-5-aspherical-rf-mount-%e7%99%ba%e5%a3%b2/

Mar 15, 2024 at 01:01 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

English product page for Canon RF mount Nokton 75/1.5:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/rf-mount-lenses/nokton-75mm-f1-5-aspherical/

Japanese product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/rf-mount-lenses/nokton-75mm-f1-5-aspherical/

Official price is 135000 JPY (before tax) but Japan street prices are always below official prices.

Map Camera has listed it for pre-orders already at 124 201 JPY:
https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4530076236035

As Sony E and Nikon Z versions of this new lens are not yet officially announced, they will be released at later timing. Maybe one new lens each month going forward. Don't know if all version of 75/1.5 will come out in consecutive months or whether some of the new VMs will appear in-between.

Mar 15, 2024 at 01:05 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Juha Kannisto wrote:
English product page for Canon RF mount Nokton 75/1.5:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/rf-mount-lenses/nokton-75mm-f1-5-aspherical/

Japanese product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/rf-mount-lenses/nokton-75mm-f1-5-aspherical/

Official price is 135000 JPY (before tax) but Japan street prices are always below official prices.

Map Camera has listed it for pre-orders already at 124 201 JPY:
https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4530076236035

As Sony E and Nikon Z versions of this new lens are not yet officially announced, they will be released at later timing. Maybe one new lens each month going forward. Don't know if all version of 75/1.5 will come out in consecutive months or whether some of the new VMs will appear in-between.

The M-mount enables lenses to be significantly smaller and lighter. The RF 75/1.5 weighs 525g, whereas the M lens weighs 350g. However, the RF lens has the advantage of being able to focus as close as 0.5m, compared to 0.7m for the M lens.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:12 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

The RF version also has the advantage of being chipped to facilitate EXIF, automatic IBIS and use of Canon's nifty manual focusing aid, which will also be true for the Z and FE versions and their respective systems. For multi-system use the VM would be the likely choice.

Mar 15, 2024 at 01:00 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Fred Miranda wrote:
The M-mount enables lenses to be significantly smaller and lighter. The RF 75/1.5 weighs 525g, whereas the M lens weighs 350g. However, the RF lens has the advantage of being able to focus as close as 0.5m, compared to 0.7m for the M lens.

We also know that the RF lens has a declickable aperture that the M lens does not. For FE lenses when we compared the SE versions of lenses with the declickable aperture version of the lens, the SE versions weighed a noticeable amount less. I think it is likely the RF version is partly the weight and maybe the size that it is because it has a declickable aperture.

Mar 15, 2024 at 01:05 PM
speedgraphic
• •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Sensor shmensor. Those of us who shoot film want collapsible lenses.

Mar 16, 2024 at 09:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

Steve Spencer wrote:
We also know that the RF lens has a declickable aperture that the M lens does not. For FE lenses when we compared the SE versions of lenses with the declickable aperture version of the lens, the SE versions weighed a noticeable amount less. I think it is likely the RF version is partly the weight and maybe the size that it is because it has a declickable aperture.

It's also a larger lens mount diameter and therefore larger housing towards the mount end of the lens. More material likely means a heavier lens when combined with other factors.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:17 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

@ RustyBug

It seems you use both the 35/2 and 40/2 (is that the CV 35/2?)

I also use the Rokkor 40/2 and find that at f2 it is just about sharp enough centrally (on an M246), but very low contrast and poor peripherally. Is the CV 35/2 much better in these two areas? I find at f2.8 the Rokkor is good enough for me.

Mar 16, 2024 at 01:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

wolfloid wrote:
@ RustyBug

It seems you use both the 35/2 and 40/2 (is that the CV 35/2?)

I also use the Rokkor 40/2 and find that at f2 it is just about sharp enough centrally (on an M246), but very low contrast and poor peripherally. Is the CV 35/2 much better in these two areas? I find at f2.8 the Rokkor is good enough for me.

My 40/2 is the Summicron 40/2 from the 70's (made for the film CL).
My 35/2 is the Summicron 35/2 ASPH v.1

I can't speak to the CV 35/2.

Mar 16, 2024 at 05:51 PM
       11       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.