Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              12       13       end
  

New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


highdesertmesa wrote:
If these sell well, I wonder if we'll get 35mm versions. The 35 APO could benefit most from a reduction in length.


I wonder how many people will find the CV 50/3.5 Collapsible 'Panda' APO style appealing. I wish they offered it in both chrome/black paint with brass or aluminum anodized/matte black paint. Perhaps most people would prefer the non-collapsible Type II with a minimum focusing distance of 0.35m?

I agree, a short CV 35/3.5 APO-Lanthar would be great for RF shooters.



Feb 20, 2024 at 09:44 PM
david6908
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Fred Miranda wrote:
I wonder how many people will find the CV 50/3.5 Collapsible 'Panda' APO style appealing. I wish they offered it in both chrome/black paint with brass or aluminum anodized/matte black paint. Perhaps most people would prefer the non-collapsible Type II with a minimum focusing distance of 0.35m?

I agree, a short CV 35/3.5 APO-Lanthar would be great for RF shooters.


if CV 35/2.8 APO, why not?



Feb 20, 2024 at 10:01 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Great ... just when I was thinking about the 40/2.8 and the 50/1.5 II and trying to decide between them ... they bring out a 50/2.2.
Now, I'll have to wait around to see how it renders, to either complement / replace my 40 Cron.

Hmmm, in the meantime.






Feb 20, 2024 at 10:05 PM
M_Wales
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


RustyBug wrote:
Great ... just when I was thinking about the 40/2.8 and the 50/1.5 II and trying to decide between them ... they bring out a 50/2.2.
Now, I'll have to wait around to see how it renders, to either complement / replace my 40 Cron.

Hmmm, in the meantime.



I have been looking into both of those lenses tonight also until I saw this thread and that came to a screeching halt... And these new beauty's come with a screw in hood...

I want to replace my Zeiss 50/2 Planar..




Feb 20, 2024 at 10:29 PM
j.liam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


-----


Feb 20, 2024 at 11:51 PM
Desmolicious
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Fred Miranda wrote:
The magic happens in a small town in Japan. (Nakano City, Nagano)

Video (in Japanese) from some time ago showing the factory and the production of the Voigtlander 180mm F4 SL APO LANTHAR lens:



Out of curiosity, here are some online images showcasing the Cosina factory headquarters. I was told they allow tours.


The metadata shows the pics of the Voigtlander factory were taken with a Summicron 50.




Feb 21, 2024 at 12:03 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Desmolicious wrote:
The metadata shows the pics of the Voigtlander factory were taken with a Summicron 50.



I'm sure that was just the "manually selected" lens info ... it was really shot with a Voigt 50 Nok. That, or a Mr. Ding.



Feb 21, 2024 at 12:08 AM
bigtractor
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


I'm sure we'll know for sure within the next day, but I'm seeing some tweets from Japanese users at the setup day for CP+ stating that neither version of the 50mm 3.5 is collapsible


Feb 21, 2024 at 05:22 AM
Juha Kannisto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


bigtractor wrote:
I'm sure we'll know for sure within the next day, but I'm seeing some tweets from Japanese users at the setup day for CP+ stating that neither version of the 50mm 3.5 is collapsible


I'm curious about this as well. I was wondering why nothing was mentioned about 50/3.5 Type I being collapsible in Cosina's announcement page if it is collapsible (like its appearance would suggest).

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1569986.html
This DC Watch Impress article mentions that Type I uses "straight-line feeding" method for focusing and Type II uses rotating method:
> Two types are available: “Type I”, which uses a straight-line feeding method, and “Type II”, which uses a rotating method.

This could imply that with Type I the barrel is moving forward / backward when focusing but it doesn't rotate, and then the lens would probably not be collapsible I think.



Feb 21, 2024 at 06:23 AM
Steve Spencer
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Juha Kannisto wrote:
I'm curious about this as well. I was wondering why nothing was mentioned about 50/3.5 Type I being collapsible in Cosina's announcement page if it is collapsible (like its appearance would suggest).

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1569986.html
This DC Watch Impress article mentions that Type I uses "straight-line feeding" method for focusing and Type II uses rotating method:
> Two types are available: “Type I”, which uses a straight-line feeding method, and “Type II”, which uses a rotating method.

This could imply that with Type I the barrel is moving forward / backward when focusing but it doesn't rotate, and then the lens would probably not be
...Show more

If the barrel moves forward and back with focussing, however, that should mean that you can use the focussing ring to make the lens shorter and although not technically collapsible it could be stored at a smaller size with barrel at its shortest. It would still be a quite small lens when being transported.



Feb 21, 2024 at 06:53 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Juha Kannisto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Steve Spencer wrote:
If the barrel moves forward and back with focussing, however, that should mean that you can use the focussing ring to make the lens shorter and although not technically collapsible it could be stored at a smaller size with barrel at its shortest. It would still be a quite small lens when being transported.


Yes, but maybe the amount of movement is not enough to make it that short. Not sure how much it would be but I think 50mm rangefinder lenses don't usually extend that much between infinity and MFD. Also the product image shows the lens at infinity focus position which should have the barrel at its shortest position and it's not short there.

I'm going to CP+ on Friday (national holiday here) so I will try to find out then but it might be that there are already some reports tomorrow as CP+ opens then.

Edited on Feb 21, 2024 at 07:13 AM · View previous versions



Feb 21, 2024 at 07:10 AM
DrThomasUttich
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Mc Christmas wish got heard for eastern https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1836202/0#16416389


Feb 21, 2024 at 07:11 AM
tri_fin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement




DrThomasUttich wrote:
Mc Christmas wish got heard for eastern https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1836202/0#16416389


I know! Wishes do come true. But only if you buy the previous version - then and only then do your wishes get granted That’s the Cosina fairy!



Feb 21, 2024 at 07:48 AM
hanay78
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


My main concern is: will the front element rotate?


Feb 21, 2024 at 08:14 AM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Robin Smith wrote:
Why? Is all I can ask. I guess VC believe they cannot have too many 50s. Baffling.


There is plenty of love for the long-discontinued 50mm Color Skopar. They sell for premium prices, on the pre-owned market. I know, because I have been scanning about, for them. (I usually prefer lenses with some amount size and heft, to facilitate carrying in my left hand, but, now and then, it is nice to keep an M camera slung under a jacket, or inside a big pocket or small pouch, at which times a small lens is useful.)

I also see plenty of questions, on-line, regarding whether the collapsible film-era 50mm Elmar lenses will cause damage, inside digital M cameras. I am thinking that folks might well feel more-comfortable using collapsible lenses designed during the digital era.

Voigtlander’s business strategy does seem to allow for rather limited-quantity production runs.

Personally, I am thinking that my next Voigtlander lens will probably be one of the 40mm f/2.8 options, but it is good to see news of these new fifties.




Feb 21, 2024 at 08:16 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


bigtractor wrote:
I'm sure we'll know for sure within the next day, but I'm seeing some tweets from Japanese users at the setup day for CP+ stating that neither version of the 50mm 3.5 is collapsible


Who in their right mind would want to buy a lens that looks like a collapsable lens that was stuck in the extended position? That would be a major fail, IMO. If it's true it's not collapsable, I'll definitely be getting the normal-looking version then since it focuses closer anyway.



Feb 21, 2024 at 11:00 AM
mapgraphs
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


The Nickel Heliar 50/2 ltm rigid looks a bit like a collapsible. It might help if this new 50/3.5 came in a Nickel finish too, and ltm...


Feb 21, 2024 at 11:23 AM
bigtractor
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


The type 2 aperture ring looks like it has the markings printed twice on opposite sides of the ring, so it seems like it rotates while focusing.
I hope Cosina aren't making a tradition of 50mm 3.5s with strange ergonomics



Feb 21, 2024 at 12:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


highdesertmesa wrote:
Who in their right mind would want to buy a lens that looks like a collapsable lens that was stuck in the extended position? That would be a major fail, IMO. If it's true it's not collapsable, I'll definitely be getting the normal-looking version then since it focuses closer anyway.


The upcoming CV 50/3.5 APO "Type I" already focuses as closely as the Leica 50 Lux close-focus version at 0.45m MFD.
The Type II goes even closer at 0.35m, which is significantly closer in practical terms. Both versions provides a significant advantage over the CV 50/2 APO-Lanthar, which has a minimum focusing distance of 0.7m.



Feb 21, 2024 at 12:33 PM
Steve Spencer
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


highdesertmesa wrote:
Who in their right mind would want to buy a lens that looks like a collapsable lens that was stuck in the extended position? That would be a major fail, IMO. If it's true it's not collapsable, I'll definitely be getting the normal-looking version then since it focuses closer anyway.


The other obvious reason to pick the Type 1 lenses is either the lighter weight of the black version or the brass of the Panda version. So even if it isn't collapsible, I can see some people picking the Type 1 of this lens. Personally, I would go with the heavier Type II for the shorter MFD (if there is good performance at that magnification), but I can see reasons to pick the collapsible looking one even if it isn't collapsible.



Feb 21, 2024 at 01:48 PM
1       2              4              12       13       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              12       13       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.