Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              12       13       end
  

New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement

  
 
tri_fin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Any details on the filter size for the non collapsible 50/3.5 apo? Fingers crossed for 39mm…


Feb 20, 2024 at 04:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


tri_fin wrote:
Any details on the filter size for the non collapsible 50/3.5 apo? Fingers crossed for 39mm…


34mm for both Type I and II. The CV 50/2.2 Color-Skopar has 39mm filter thread.



Feb 20, 2024 at 04:18 PM
Desmolicious
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


I'll put it down here. I freakin' love Cosina's enthusiasm for the M mount!
I love small lenses on M cameras. It makes for a perfect package.

No idea what I'm going to do here, already have the old CS 50 2.5 but it is in silver, and I want black.
These new lenses can be had in black..



Feb 20, 2024 at 05:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Desmolicious wrote:
I'll put it down here. I freakin' love Cosina's enthusiasm for the M mount!
I love small lenses on M cameras. It makes for a perfect package.

No idea what I'm going to do here, already have the old CS 50 2.5 but it is in silver, and I want black.
These new lenses can be had in black..


What's intriguing about the CV 50/2.2 Color-Skopar is that it shares the same super compact size (30mm height) as the CV 21/3.5 Color-Skopar but offers a faster 50mm lens. It also comes with a red dot for easy mounting and a black anodized filter thread instead of brass chrome, which many shooters prefer. It could be that Cosina is listening to feedback, or maybe they're just doing what they want! Haha.

Also, it seems there won't be a brass black paint version for the CV 50/2.2. Only black anodized aluminum, keeping things as simple and light as possible.



Feb 20, 2024 at 05:16 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Some 34mm pre-purchase prep

Heliopan 34-39mm step-up ring many of us have already been using (doubles as a tiny hood as well):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160328-REG/Heliopan_700293_34mm_39mm_Step_Up.html

Heliopan 34mm multicoated UV (buy one quickly when it shows back in stock, they don’t get many at a time):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1138312-REG/heliopan_703411_34mm_uv_super_mc.html

I don’t recommend their regular UV because of flare issues, etc.



Feb 20, 2024 at 05:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


highdesertmesa wrote:
Some 34mm pre-purchase prep

Heliopan 34-39mm step-up ring many of us have already been using (doubles as a tiny hood as well):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160328-REG/Heliopan_700293_34mm_39mm_Step_Up.html

Heliopan 34mm multicoated UV (buy one quickly when it shows back in stock, they don’t get many at a time):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1138312-REG/heliopan_703411_34mm_uv_super_mc.html

I don’t recommend their regular UV because of flare issues, etc.


+1
The Heliopan 34-39mm step-up ring works great with the 28/2.8 and 40/2.8 Heliar lenses!
It will surely work well with the new APO-Lanthar too.



Feb 20, 2024 at 05:27 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Fred Miranda wrote:
Same here. I don't think it will be super corrected so I'm hoping for a similar rendering to their CV 35/2 Ultron.

How many 50mm lenses does one really need?


I hope the 50 2.2 CS is similar to the 40 2.8, which would make sense given they share a 34mm filter size, but who knows. I love how the 40 2.8 renders, so a longer focal length and wider aperture version of the 40 2.8 would be amazing.



Feb 20, 2024 at 05:31 PM
Desmolicious
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


highdesertmesa wrote:
Some 34mm pre-purchase prep

Heliopan 34-39mm step-up ring many of us have already been using (doubles as a tiny hood as well):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160328-REG/Heliopan_700293_34mm_39mm_Step_Up.html

Heliopan 34mm multicoated UV (buy one quickly when it shows back in stock, they don’t get many at a time):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1138312-REG/heliopan_703411_34mm_uv_super_mc.html

I don’t recommend their regular UV because of flare issues, etc.


What lens hood do you use w that step up ring/filter combo?



Feb 20, 2024 at 05:38 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Desmolicious wrote:
What lens hood do you use w that step up ring/filter combo?


The step-up ring becomes the hood with a filter on the end of it:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1750078/14#16335547



Feb 20, 2024 at 05:58 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Desmolicious wrote:
I'll put it down here. I freakin' love Cosina's enthusiasm for the M mount!
I love small lenses on M cameras. It makes for a perfect package.

No idea what I'm going to do here, already have the old CS 50 2.5 but it is in silver, and I want black.
These new lenses can be had in black..

Fred Miranda wrote:
What's intriguing about the CV 50/2.2 Color-Skopar is that it shares the same super compact size (30mm height) as the CV 21/3.5 Color-Skopar but offers a faster 50mm lens. It also comes with a red dot for easy mounting and a black anodized filter thread instead of brass chrome, which many shooters prefer. It could be that Cosina is listening to feedback, or maybe they're just doing what they want! Haha.

Also, it seems there won't be a brass black paint version for the CV 50/2.2. Only black anodized aluminum, keeping things as simple and light as possible.


Yes, it really does seem like Cosina is listening to informal feedback from VM lens users. But as you suggest, who knows if this will actually trend across other future releases.

I really REALLY appreciate the raised red dot. It seems like such a small detail but at least for me makes orientation of the lens easier when making quick lens swaps. Also really appreciate the all black design without the chrome filter ring. Seems like a really nice small 'stealth; lens to pair with the 28/2.8 (as HDM mentioned). All that's missing is a collapsible 90/3.5 or 90/4 APO-Lanthar (hint, hint Cosina!) for a nicely compact trio (and alternative to the pricy Leica 90/4 Macro).

Anyway, looks like my 24/25mm prediction will have to wait for another time. It seemed like such an obvious gap, maybe it was too obvious. But 50/2 (ish) was also a gap in their lineup and the 50/3.5 really benefits from a redesign. Any word on if the aperture ring rotates with focusing on the collapsible design?

ISO1600 wrote:
I'm REALLY curious about the pricing on that 2.2.... hoping for a more imperfect rendering, maybe a cheap Voigt-Cron equivalent.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Same here. I don't think it will be super corrected so I'm hoping for a similar rendering to their CV 35/2 Ultron.

How many 50mm lenses does one really need?


Rendering as in out of focus character, or overall performance including sharpness in the plane of focus? Because it states in the short description 'excellent performance from wide open' which would imply sharpness according to modern expectations. Given the size it will probably have the usual optical/mechanical vignetting of other small VM lenses with the resulting impact on OOF characteristics.

Fred Miranda wrote:
The magic happens in a small town in Japan. (Nakano City, Nagano)

Video (in Japanese) from some time ago showing the factory and the production of the Voigtlander 180mm F4 SL APO LANTHAR lens:



Out of curiosity, here are some online images showcasing the Cosina factory headquarters. I was told they allow tours.


Is this a subtle suggestion to organize a FM members Cosina/Voigtlander 'fans' group visit?



Feb 20, 2024 at 06:12 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

thrice
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


I loved the 50/2.5 in chrome back when I had my M9, such a lovely rendering and compact/dense lens.

Desmolicious wrote:
I'll put it down here. I freakin' love Cosina's enthusiasm for the M mount!
I love small lenses on M cameras. It makes for a perfect package.

No idea what I'm going to do here, already have the old CS 50 2.5 but it is in silver, and I want black.
These new lenses can be had in black..




Feb 20, 2024 at 06:13 PM
Robin Smith
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Why? Is all I can ask. I guess VC believe they cannot have too many 50s. Baffling.


Feb 20, 2024 at 06:34 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


I wish they listed the APO’s collapsed size. The ltd. 50/2 Heliar is said to not collapse very much, whatever that means.


Feb 20, 2024 at 06:44 PM
madNbad
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement




d.s. wrote:
I wish they listed the APO’s collapsed size. The ltd. 50/2 Heliar is said to not collapse very much, whatever that means.


I have a 50 2.0 collapsible Heliar. It’s 30mm collapsed and 40mm extended. It’s more of an homage to the collapsable lenses of the past.



Feb 20, 2024 at 07:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


madNbad wrote:
I have a 50 2.0 collapsible Heliar. It’s 30mm collapsed and 40mm extended. It’s more of an homage to the collapsable lenses of the past.


That sounds about right.
It extends to 45mm in length and collapses to approximately 35mm, which is quite short, almost equivalent to the length of the CV 50/2.2.







Feb 20, 2024 at 07:49 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Robin Smith wrote:
Why? Is all I can ask. I guess VC believe they cannot have too many 50s. Baffling.


There is no such thing as too many 50s!

---------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
How many 50mm lenses does one really need?


All!




Feb 20, 2024 at 08:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


rscheffler wrote:
There is no such thing as too many 50s!

---------------

All!



I definitely have too many, but I appreciate each one and can't bring myself to part with any of them.



Feb 20, 2024 at 08:37 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Fred Miranda wrote:
That sounds about right.
It extends to 45mm in length and collapses to approximately 35mm, which is quite short, almost equivalent to the length of the CV 50/2.2.


One thing's for sure about that lens, I'm never going to confuse the focusing and aperture rings with each other



Feb 20, 2024 at 08:44 PM
d.s.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement




madNbad wrote:
I have a 50 2.0 collapsible Heliar. It’s 30mm collapsed and 40mm extended. It’s more of an homage to the collapsable lenses of the past.


No Elmar-M, but much better than the way folks made it sound (plus an extra stop!).



Feb 20, 2024 at 08:55 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New Cosina Voigtländer 50/3.5 APO & 50/2.2 VM announcement


Fred Miranda wrote:
The new 50/3.5 APO-Lanthar Type II MFD is insane at 0.35m for a 50mm M-mount lens.

I also thought about the Elcan when seeing the CV 50/2.2 Color-Skopar specs but the Voigtlander is even more impressive. It has a closer focusing distance (0.5m compared to 0.7m), is 6mm shorter, and weighs almost half as much as the brass Elcan, which is considered one of the smallest 50mm f/2 lenses.

Compared to the current CV 50/2 APO-Lanthar, the new 50/3.5 APO-Lanthar has some notable differences. Firstly, it has fewer aperture blades (10 vs 12), and their aperture mechanism seems to be different
...Show more

If these sell well, I wonder if we'll get 35mm versions. The 35 APO could benefit most from a reduction in length.



Feb 20, 2024 at 09:14 PM
1              3              12       13       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              3              12       13       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.