FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

George DeCamp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

Eric214 wrote:
I did have 3D work for me once a couple weeks ago with some sea ducks (Harlequin and Long-tailed) on the water in an inlet. Auto Area wanted to grab the head where 3D went instantly to the eye. So that day I used 3D (on my DISP button) and Auto Area for the flying ducks. With Long necked wading birds I have seen 3D work a little better but can be spotty in consistency.

That has literally been the only time that has happened since FW 4.10. Even in freshwater pools in Bombay Hook NWR the AA AF mode
...Show more

Totally agree I use AA all the time but if, and that's "if" I have an issue I switch to 3D and it normally works. I have AA on my AF-ON button and normally 3D on the shutter believe it or not. Works for me 😀 As you said AA is the go to AF mode for me as well!

Feb 20, 2024 at 07:26 PM
suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

dcisive wrote:
I've been going out a lot lately shooting Blue Heron's who are nesting at this time nearby where I live. I use the Z9 and 100-400S sometimes with and without a 1.4xtc. I've used the large wide box, small box, full screen auto you name it. When they are either leaving the nest, approaching the nest and even flying away, the Z9 isn't grabbing them all the time let alone staying stuck on them. It's been very disappointing at times. When it does capture a frame it's wonderful, just not the majority of the times.

I began playing with a A6700
...Show more

I am also very surprised to hear this. I shoot cormorants, herons and various kinds of water birds quite a bit and over 90% keeper rate is pretty much what I expect from Z9 for the last couple of years at least. They are not exactly challenging or difficult in the realm of bif. Firmware 1.0 did have some problem recognizing heron shape but has not really been an issue since fw 2.0 .

I am not doubting your finding but really has to wonder what is causing the problem. I was even able to track a flying crane with 85/1.2S let alone 100-400.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:00 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

dcisive ownership cycle

- THIS IS THE BEST THING IíVE EVER OWNED
- this is pretty good, but there are a few annoyances
- this isnít working for me like it is for other people, Iím shopping around (you are here)
- thatís it, Iíve had enough, Iím switching to a GOOD brand!
- return to step 1

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

some people just have short attention spans.

Feb 21, 2024 at 05:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DandL

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

RoamingScott wrote:
ÖI'd love to see the ability to completely disable the vertical controls. I'm forever accidentally unlocking the vertical shutter lock and taking shots with the palm of my handÖ

I couldnít agree more. Iíve resorted to taping the switch in the lock position with electrical tape.

Edited on Feb 21, 2024 at 09:36 AM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2024 at 09:01 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

I often shoot with a precisely aligned camera head (typically fluid head but sometimes gimbal) so that I get level horizons on every shot and don't need to correct them in post. For hand-held shots if there is action going on, I guess for birds that are small in the frame tilting is an option but for larger subjects it would be difficult to tilt the camera while the action is going on especially with a prime lens, and not get something chopped off. When there is tall grass or other vertical vegetation in the background and if the light is backlighting the subject, tendency to focus on the background is a real issue although less so for the Z8 than, e.g., the Z6 II (the Z8 likely benefits from smaller focus points and better algorithms). In my opinion, the camera designers have their work cut out for them, even if there are users who are satisfied with the current implementation. Olympus has done some work on cross-type detection in their mirrorless cameras already.

On another forum there is a thread by a photographer who wanted to use the Z8 for street photography and he feels the camera is too slow to respond when quickly rising the camera to the eye. I haven't had this issue but I don't do quick grab shots often and am more likely to prepare my shots in advance.

"I've been going out a lot lately shooting Blue Heron's who are nesting at this time nearby where I live. I use the Z9 and 100-400S sometimes with and without a 1.4xtc. I've used the large wide box, small box, full screen auto you name it. When they are either leaving the nest, approaching the nest and even flying away, the Z9 isn't grabbing them all the time let alone staying stuck on them."

I also have the Z100-400 and as it focuses quite close the lens focus groups have quite a lot of movement to do if the system starts to hunt or is not started in approximately the right distance. I would turn on the focus limiter and prefocus on the nest if you can. I am not sure if the difference is low light or other subject- and environment-related conditions, but I've run into this quite many times with the Z100-400 with the Z8 in the light of the Finnish winter (it can be soft and dim at times). I think a prime lens would probably do a better job at this as those tend to be optimized for focusing speed and they also don't typically focus as close as some zooms do. I don't have the 400/4.5 but have played with it and it really gave a favourable impression and costs about the same as the 100-400 (though one would likely lose some money in an exchange or resale). Anyway, the 100-400 is also capable of excellent results but it can sometimes be quirky with regards to its focusing.

Feb 21, 2024 at 09:02 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Z9 Upcoming 4.2 or 5.0 firmware possibilities..OR Z9II

ilkka_nissila wrote:
I often shoot with a precisely aligned camera head (typically fluid head but sometimes gimbal) so that I get level horizons on every shot and don't need to correct them in post. For hand-held shots if there is action going on, I guess for birds that are small in the frame tilting is an option but for larger subjects it would be difficult to tilt the camera while the action is going on especially with a prime lens, and not get something chopped off. When there is tall grass or other vertical vegetation in the background and if the light
...Show more

If you aren't shooting action, AF-S and Pinpoint AF have a CDAF component and completely avoid the problems with horizontally oriented AF sensors if you are in a situation affected by that. If you're shooting anything that moves obviously that's not really an option.

Also, the tilt needed is very minor, like just a few degrees - whether it's a small or large subject in the frame it shouldn't make any meaningful difference. If you have a very precise tripod head, I wonder if it's something you could dial into your setup, and then just correct the photos a few degrees back the other way in post all at once with a couple of clicks - you'd lose a few rows of pixels but nothing significant. If you're shooting BIF or any 'normal' subject though you shouldn't need to tilt the camera at all - only if you are shooting a worst case scenario like window blinds.

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.