New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

If I make it to spring (haha) I am buying the 180-600 for sure. It seems it will be perfect for my Z8 videos and several of you hold it in high value for stills too. I am thinking of Gary and Bruce right now. Sorry if I overlooked someone.

Question to everyone who owns/shoots it: Do you handhold it or shoot it off a tripod. You probably do both. I know our physical strengths are all different and change with age.

I have been sick and lost a lot of body strength. I think I am gaining it back now (if I can just get off this computer haha).

In my mind, I imagine that internal zoom with the short 70 degree and light throw will be an advantage even for composing stills

Just looking for some comments here.

Robert

Edited on Feb 18, 2024 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:12 AM
MatthewK
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

You edited your OP after I had posted. Iím not Gary or Bruce, so take my 2Ę for what itís worthÖ I shoot mine handheld 100% of the time. To me itís heavy-ish, but not so bad that I canít use it all day.

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:18 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

Thanks MatthewK for the input.

Need to get out now for exercise folks. So looking forward to seeing your comments later today and so on.

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:23 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

If I had to put a number on it I'd say handheld 75% and off a monopod 25%. I have yet to use it on a tripod. For me it's very case-dependent. I carry it with a Black Rapid sling strap while walking. My Robus RCM-633 monopod with the Wimberly MH-100 head sits in the side pocket of my small backpack. If I come across a patch of shrubbery where I'm going to stand and wait for birds to go back and forth I'll usually get the monopod out. Same thing if I'm sitting by the edge of a lake or pond and waiting for a subject to do something. So often I come across a subject and I like to lay down flat on my stomach so having it unattached is just easier most of the time. And as Matthew states above, I have absolutely no issue setting out without the monopod because for me it's easily hand holdable.
Once kayak season starts I'll be using it 100% hand holding. I shot my Sigma S that way for years and I'm expecting the 180-600 will be even easier as it's certainly better balanced, a little lighter, and the VR is so much better. Hope this helps somewhat.
Gary
I guess I should add, FWIW, I've never tried video.

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:36 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

bs kite wrote:
If I make it to spring (haha) I am buying the 180-600 for sure. It seems it will be perfect for my Z8 videos and several of you hold it in high value for stills too. I am thinking of Gary and Bruce right now. Sorry if I overlooked someone.

Question to everyone who owns/shoots it: Do you handhold it or shoot it off a tripod. You probably do both. I know our physical strengths are all different and change with age.

I have been sick and lost a lot of body strength. I think I am gaining it back
...Show more
Robert,
I've been using the 180-600 since August (I think), and when possible I use a tripod. In the end, I'd probably say it's been on a tripod 20% of the time and handheld for about 80%. I have found the lens heavy and there are times when it has been a burden. However, the 180-600 lends itself to handheld photography because it is relatively compact.
During my recent travel to Japan (see attached... I'm the guy with the blue parka), the only lenses that saw a tripod were my 400 f2.8S and 24-120 (for landscapes). I used the 180-600 handheld for 3 straight days (2+ hour shoots each) photographing sea eagles from a boat. I definitely could feel the lactic acid build up in my left shoulder, but I pushed through. When photographing snow monkeys, I shot entirely handheld for 6+ hours on two continuous days. I look for ways to brace myself, but definitely felt challenged by the shoot.
Regardless of the latter point, it is a relatively light universal wildlife lens. Frankly, if weight is your primary concern, you might be better off with the 400 f4.5 + converter or 600 f6.3PF. The two primes are exceptionally sharp and light... they just lack the flexibility of the zoom.
With respect to sharpness... I've been more than pleased with the output from the 180-600.
cheers,
bruce

Not the young pup I once was... Photo by Frank

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:53 AM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

For stills and short video clips it is definitely "hand holdable" for reasonable amounts of time though if one's use was primarily video, I would be considering a mono/tripod. As another user observed, the 400 f/4.5 is much lighter (1/2 the weight), sharper, and much more compact. Even with the TC, it is much lighter but one sacrifices the zoom. Alternatively, the 600 f/6.3 is smaller and significantly lighter by over a pound and a half. If you need the 600 mm FL and size/weight are your primary concerns, and you don't need a zoom, I would scrape the barrel for the cash for the 600mm.

I think Bruce's photo illustrates why the zoom is handy (I think he's shooting snow monkey's in this situation?) and why I went with it over the other choices. It really depends on your style and applications.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:03 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

armd, Bruce and Gary..

Thank you for your descriptions. They will help me and others as we make decisions. I will re-read them again. I do want the versatility of the zoom Bruce.

Robert

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:07 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

armd wrote:
For stills and short video clips it is definitely "hand holdable" for reasonable amounts of time though if one's use was primarily video, I would be considering a mono/tripod. As another user observed, the 400 f/4.5 is much lighter (1/2 the weight), sharper, and much more compact. Even with the TC, it is much lighter but one sacrifices the zoom. Alternatively, the 600 f/6.3 is smaller and significantly lighter by over a pound and a half. If you need the 600 mm FL and size/weight are your primary concerns, and you don't need a zoom, I would scrape the barrel
...Show more

Spot on... I was photographing snow monkeys and a zoom was critical for composing animals that could be up close or at quite a distance.

bruce

Feb 18, 2024 at 01:38 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

I use it both ways. Itís a tad large/bulky to use handed, but works well if you have good light.

Feb 18, 2024 at 01:49 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

For several years my 200-500 was my go-to.

Once I fully recover (and before spring), I hope to gain back some upper body strength.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

OwlsEyes wrote:
Robert,
I've been using the 180-600 since August (I think), and when possible I use a tripod. In the end, I'd probably say it's been on a tripod 20% of the time and handheld for about 80%. I have found the lens heavy and there are times when it has been a burden. However, the 180-600 lends itself to handheld photography because it is relatively compact.
During my recent travel to Japan (see attached... I'm the guy with the blue parka), the only lenses that saw a tripod were my 400 f2.8S and 24-120 (for landscapes). I used the 180-600 handheld
...Show more

Thanks for the image Bruce. Looks good to us. I love the monkeys the most I think.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:03 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

Just got mine recently, Robert, so still feeling my way around how to use it. One thing I can say is that this lens is surprisingly sharp.

I'm currently using it with a monopod and Wimberley MonoGimbal head, and that combo works very well for me. Next time out will probably try handheld. I don't expect that will be a problem, as previously had used the 200-500 handheld without issues. When using any lens that way I usually have it attached to an OpTech sling strap.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:12 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

Thanks for the comment Fred. Sounds good to me.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:15 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

I haven't shot the Nikon, but have shot the Sony 200-600 and they are largely similar lens (down to a few grams different in weight). It's not a lens that younger Scott enjoyed handholding at ALL.

I recently compared the 400/4.5, 180-600, and 600PF via reviews to try and figure out my next tele. Since I really enjoy handholding, the 400 and 600 stood out immediately based on reviews and comments. I believe you already have the 400, so my suggestion would be to simply throw the 1.4x on as needed to get close to 600mm.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:24 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

I hope you are getting better, Robert.

I have never shot the 180-600 on a tripod, always handheld. I am generally fit and reasonably strong for my age. Even so, I do not think it a heavy lens. I haven't done any video with it yet.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:48 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

RoamingScott wrote:
I haven't shot the Nikon, but have shot the Sony 200-600 and they are largely similar lens (down to a few grams different in weight). It's not a lens that younger Scott enjoyed handholding at ALL.

I recently compared the 400/4.5, 180-600, and 600PF via reviews to try and figure out my next tele. Since I really enjoy handholding, the 400 and 600 stood out immediately based on reviews and comments. I believe you already have the 400, so my suggestion would be to simply throw the 1.4x on as needed to get close to 600mm.

Younger Scott ?

I do not have the 400/4.5 Scott. There are times when 500, and so on are too close. So then, we want to increase the FOV. That is the advantage of zoom. I know you already know this Scott. I already have the 500PF and it will not do it either simply because it is a prime.

Feb 18, 2024 at 05:39 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

Lance B wrote:
I hope you are getting better, Robert.

I have never shot the 180-600 on a tripod, always handheld. I am generally fit and reasonably strong for my age. Even so, I do not think it a heavy lens. I haven't done any video with it yet.

Now me getting better is the most important thing to me.... and you were the one who wished it. Thank you for wishing me a full recovery Lance.

Feb 18, 2024 at 05:43 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

Sorry folks. Everything will work out.

Feb 18, 2024 at 05:45 PM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

I hand hold mine too, just for the record!!

Feb 18, 2024 at 06:40 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Referring to shooting with the 180-600... your input please

I used the 200-500mm with my DSLR cameras hand held except when doing an autofocus fine tune. With my Z9 that procedure is no longer a concern and the 180-600mm weighs 13 ounces less than the 200-500mm lens.

A big difference I found when shooting with the Z9 and the 800mm PF lens hand held was that the speed and accuracy of eye detection and focus was much much faster than with my D850 camera. I also have no need with the Z9 to do a manual focus override to get the eyes in focus as with every DSLR camera I have used including the D5.

The other aspect that is quite different is that with the D850 and a VR lens I needed to use a monopod to steady the 500mm PF lens when using it with a TC-20 teleconverter. With the Z9 camera the internal image stabilization is significantly better than the lens VR with a DSLR camera. Many people are shooting videos hand held with the various mirrorless cameras with their internal image stabilization.

Feb 20, 2024 at 06:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.