New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Gigapixeled images!

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gigapixeled images!

Do you have Topaz Gigapixel images you would like to share with others? Feel free to post them here.

Great Black-backed gull with Green Crab (North Atlantic)

critiques and comments welcome.

Robert

final Topaz Gigapixel image size was 8800 x 5500

NIKON D500    500mm    f/8.0    1/3000s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 18, 2024 at 08:10 AM
Boblou

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gigapixeled images!

Are you using the newest version or the old one?
Thank-you.

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:18 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gigapixeled images!

Hi Boblou

If you refer to Topaz Gigapixel I am guessing I have the older version, only because I think I bought it at least a year ago and up to 3 years ago

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:35 AM
Boblou

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gigapixeled images!

Hi bs kite.
Thanks for your information, appreciate.

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:39 AM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gigapixeled images!

Real nice and details look good!!

Edited on Feb 18, 2024 at 10:08 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:58 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gigapixeled images!

While you certainly have a wonderful and compelling image here, displayed by itself as a low res online jpeg offers no comparison to other methods of interpolation. If you're touting the superiority of Topaz's software, I'd like to see side by side 100% crops of the Gigapixel result next to the different methods available in Photoshop including Adobe's own version of what Topaz is doing. If all you're doing is saying "hey, look here, GP is great", how is the GP version downsampled to this size any different than the original processed tiff downsampled to the same size.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:07 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gigapixeled images!

Jesus Christ, Peter.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:14 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gigapixeled images!

RoamingScott wrote:
Jesus Christ, Peter.

jesus christ what.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:33 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gigapixeled images!

Peter Figen wrote:
While you certainly have a wonderful and compelling image here, displayed by itself as a low res online jpeg offers no comparison to other methods of interpolation. If you're touting the superiority of Topaz's software, I'd like to see side by side 100% crops of the Gigapixel result next to the different methods available in Photoshop including Adobe's own version of what Topaz is doing. If all you're doing is saying "hey, look here, GP is great", how is the GP version downsampled to this size any different than the original processed tiff downsampled to the same size.

Thanks for your compliment on the image and the comment.

I was not comparing Topaz GP to any other method. I am not touting any superiority of any software.

*I was simply having fun and offering the fun to others*.

The downsized image I posted shows a 4X gig downsized. I beg your pardon.........Of course it is different than doing the same to a TIFF because the GP version has gone through Topaz software.

Btw, you do TIFFS and I do not. I prefer DNG's. over TIFF's

Robert

Normally I would not have a problem with discussing this further with you on this forum. But there is a problem here. I think we both agree that we are not going to agree and it will take much negative energy. Neither one of us want that.

I hope you have a nice day

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:51 AM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gigapixeled images!

Peter Figen wrote:

That would be a nice exercise for you.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

armd
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gigapixeled images!

Topaz came to me with a $72 coupon so I upgraded to the V7 for $7. The algorithms seem improved so far, though I did come across some weird artifact in one session when I was enlarging a red-tailed hawk cropped image. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to print any images to compare the resizing side-by-side against the earlier Gigapixel version or just enlarging in the printer drive. To me, that will be a better gauge of the program's utility.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:49 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gigapixeled images!

I'd been using Gigapixel over the last year. I tried the new version which ironically was producing some artifacts like striated lines. Then by almost accident, I discovered it was only images processed with ON1 that produced the artifacts. When done in DXO Photolab 7 there were no artifacts. I'd since gotten a refund on the newer version and stuck with the previous version that was just fine as long as I avoid processing an image planned for GP in ON1. For some reason that happens. I do however prefer to stick to enlarging only 1.5x for best results as then the detail and all are essentially perfection. 2.0x on up and depending on the original image it can look a bit processed. I tried using Bicubic and several other methods provided in a couple of programs to upsample, but those don't provide the wonderful detail that GP did.

Feb 18, 2024 at 01:00 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gigapixeled images!

armd wrote:
Topaz came to me with a $72 coupon so I upgraded to the V7 for $7. The algorithms seem improved so far, though I did come across some weird artifact in one session when I was enlarging a red-tailed hawk cropped image. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to print any images to compare the resizing side-by-side against the earlier Gigapixel version or just enlarging in the printer drive. To me, that will be a better gauge of the program's utility.

I agree. Using gigapixel on images to be displayed on a forum doesn’t make much sense. Printing is where to evaluate the different methods and is where to really use gigapixel.

Feb 18, 2024 at 02:47 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gigapixeled images!

bs kite wrote:
Thanks for your compliment on the image and the comment.

I was not comparing Topaz GP to any other method. I am not touting any superiority of any software.

*I was simply having fun and offering the fun to others*.

The downsized image I posted shows a 4X gig downsized. I beg your pardon.........Of course it is different than doing the same to a TIFF because the GP version has gone through Topaz software.

Btw, you do TIFFS and I do not. I prefer DNG's. over TIFF's

Robert

Normally I would not have a problem with discussing this further
...Show more

What I never saw mentioned as well was if the image you posted was the entire image or a crop or a 100% crop of a larger frame. The whole point of my comment is that there is no frame of reference, so we really don 't know what we're looking at. Not really sure why the aversion to the tiff format. Preferring dng's without a stated reason makes little sense.

Feb 18, 2024 at 03:52 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gigapixeled images!

Love that Hide Me option.

Feb 18, 2024 at 03:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gigapixeled images!

Bob Kane wrote:
That would be a nice exercise for you.

It would be if I had the time or the inclination. The last time I tested GP, it was vastly inferior to the options in Ps, but not because it didn't produce more detail, which it sometimes did, but because the artifacts and the gradations were fake looking, and in the end, I'd rather have a more natural, organic looking image than an image that looked sorta fake. Plus, when I'm uprezzing ginormous files for my client's huge prints, it's far more efficient to do it all inside of one program where not only the interpolation is happening but so is adding selective noise through luminosity and inverted luminosity masks. I suppose I can download their latest offering but overall I have not been impressed with any of Topaz's products over the years.

Feb 18, 2024 at 03:58 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gigapixeled images!

Robert, in my experience, Gigapixel and the rest of those can be used two ways, with varying levels of satisfaction

1) on a full size, high res, uncropped image to make a large source file for printing (good results)
2) on a highly cropped, low res image coming out of an image processor like LR (not very good results)

My personal limit is 2500 or smaller on the long edge is probably a picture for the bin unless I'm just printing a 4x6 of it. Gigapixel won't have enough data to work with to upres without adding a bunch of AI-i-fied artifacts.

I much prefer to do this work in Photoshop myself.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:00 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gigapixeled images!

Thanks Scott.

All my experimenting with GP was for making the occasional very large print (exactly as you listed in your #1).

I have done a. lot of experimenting with very large prints in GP. That is all I will say here.

When I posted it this morning I hoped to not get smart ass comments (I am not referring to you Scott ). But that's a forum for you. They say things on the forum they would not say to my face.

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:11 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gigapixeled images!

They love to argue. Well, they can argue with someone else. Love that HideMe button

Feb 18, 2024 at 04:12 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gigapixeled images!

Well, bs kite, I'm using my real name here. You can search on that to get to my real web site and I have been making real photos for a very long time, and anything I've said here, I would absolutely say to your face. Why are asking a few pertinent questions so offensive to you. If not here, where. If not now, when? This is THE perfect place because this is where you posted your quite lovely image and welcomed the world to see how great Gigapixel was, only there was no way for anyone to tell. It's not about arguing at all, it's only asking for some context which you seem to be horribly offended by. That's your choice, not mine.

Feb 18, 2024 at 05:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.