FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

This was captured years before we saw the first autofocus technology.

The GBH was poised over a fish. From a few previous mistakes I knew I had to pre-focus on the heron, keep my eye glued to the viewfinder.... and would have one shot only. It lunged into the water, stood up with the fish and in the next instant it took off for the security of the willows in the background.

This image was captured on Kodachrome 64 in 1984 and scanned several years ago.

Nikon COOLSCAN V ED  

Feb 17, 2024 at 08:55 AM
Erictator
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

Cool history on this neat picture. A good pic is always a good pic, and this one stands the test of time.
Eric

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:07 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

Proof that it's the photographer and not the camera. Great shot and story!

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:59 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

That's quite a shot Robert ! Aside from the color cast it holds up really well.
Gary

Feb 18, 2024 at 08:35 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

sum1sgrampa wrote:
That's quite a shot Robert ! Aside from the color cast it holds up really well.
Gary

Hi Gary. Thanks for your candid comment. I do appreciate it.

I hope you might have a suggestion to improve the color cast. I have Daltonism. Just before I post any image I press AutoColor and it seems to *usually* improve the color cast (which others have said can be greenish)

I welcome any suggestion from others too on this.

Robert

Feb 18, 2024 at 08:46 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

bs kite wrote:
Hi Gary. Thanks for your candid comment. I do appreciate it.

I hope you might have a suggestion to improve the color cast. I have Daltonism. Just before I post any image I press AutoColor and it seems to *usually* improve the color cast (which others have said can be greenish)

I welcome any suggestion from others too on this.

Robert

Robert, I hope you didn't take that as a criticism. It looks like what you would expect from a 40 year old Kodachrome Seeing that I failed a color-blindness test almost 50 years ago when I wanted to get into a computer repair program I doubt I would be much help The strength of your photograph is the spot on focus that you nailed and the timing. The color is what it is.

Feb 18, 2024 at 08:55 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

sum1sgrampa wrote:
Robert, I hope you didn't take that as a criticism. It looks like what you would expect from a 40 year old Kodachrome Seeing that I failed a color-blindness test almost 50 years ago when I wanted to get into a computer repair program I doubt I would be much help The strength of your photograph is the spot on focus that you nailed and the timing. The color is what it is.

Gary, I honestly did not feel offended.

I also now see that the color cast referred to the 40 year old KR. I should have realized that when you wrote it.

Your computer repair comment is funny. That is the same thing that happened to me. I applied to a lineman job with the phone company and they quickly went to the test where a number is inside a mosaic of colors. I failed almost every image that was shown to me.

Thanks for commenting on the strength of my photograph.

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:05 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

bs kite wrote:

Gary, I honestly did not feel offended.

I also now see that the color cast referred to the 40 year old KR. I should have realized that when you wrote it.

Your computer repair comment is funny. That is the same thing that happened to me. I applied to a lineman job with the phone company and they quickly went to the test where a number is inside a mosaic of colors. I failed almost every image that was shown to me.

Thanks for commenting on the strength of my photograph.

Exactly. I still remember it was two young girls giving me the mosaic test. They were holding those charts up in front of me for the longest time and coaxing me because they wanted to get another student in This is why I almost never adjust color balance on my photos. I don't trust myself.

Feb 18, 2024 at 09:11 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

Thank you much Gary. That helped me a lot

Feb 18, 2024 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

I love you story of how you did it the old way. Even if you had an auto winder, 36 would have been the maximum burst :-)

Great old image Bob

Morris

Feb 19, 2024 at 08:03 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

morris wrote:
I love you story of how you did it the old way. Even if you had an auto winder, 36 would have been the maximum burst :-)

Great old image Bob

Morris

I did not mention there was a guy several feet away to my right, talking to his girlfriend and me non-stop. He had his camera set up on a tripod just as I did mine. I suggested to him the heron would fly back into the willow thicket just as soon as it captured the fish. They always did. Still, he kept talking, his face not up to his camera. So, I got one shot in and he got none.

Thank you Morris!

Edited on Mar 08, 2024 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2024 at 08:23 AM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

Nice image which has held up well thanks to how Kodachrome was developed. I too am red/green color blind according to the test charts. This kept me out of the navy but not from doing my MFA thesis comparing B&W to color in photographs. Nor did it keep me from working as a photographer for over 50 years. I feel somewhat suspicious about those tests.

Feb 19, 2024 at 02:09 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

Nice capture. So much has changed to make capturing wildlife easier, but a good image will always be a good image.

Feb 19, 2024 at 02:55 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

Wonderful capture . I find it so amazing how a photo we take can bring us right back to that location as if it were yesterday !

Birdie

Feb 19, 2024 at 03:06 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

bs kite wrote:
I did not mention there was a guy several feet away to my right, talking to his girlfriend and me non-stop. He had his camera set up on a tripod just as I did mine. I suggested to him the heron would fly back into the willow thicket just as soon as it captured the fish. They always did. Still, he kept talking, his face not up to his camera. So, I got one shot in and got none.

Thank you Morris!

That's a classic situation. I do the same as you telling people when I see action coming and while some continue to chat while many more say thank you.

Morris

Edited on Mar 05, 2024 at 06:21 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2024 at 10:16 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

Fantastic. I donít know who said it originally but a photo like this makes me think: the difference between a good photographer and a great one is the great photographers stand near interesting things

Lovely shot. Stands the test of time is right!

Mar 05, 2024 at 10:20 AM
DBR49

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

You know, the slight cast actually makes that photo. Gotta love K64 greens.

Mar 08, 2024 at 12:20 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · GBH and sunfish, Anhinga Trail, ENP, 1984 on Kodachrome 64

morris wrote:
That's a classic situation. I do the same as you telling people when I see action coming and while some continue to chat while many more say thank you.

Morris

That is exactly what happened Morris.

Mar 08, 2024 at 06:40 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.