New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end

A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Geoff D F
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

The telegraph may have been powered by hand wound dynamos, a kind of hand cranked generator that stores charge in a capacitator. Phones and telegraphs don't need much electricity. You may have seen some old movies where people hand-crank a wall mounted phone before calling the operator.

I think before phones went electronic they ran off a separate power system to the mains power. You would need mains power to run a phone exchange, but the phone line itself can carry enough power to run the phone at the receiving end.

Feb 20, 2024 at 06:18 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

I think showing the entire scale of the bridge and the Bixby Creek really add the sense of how high the bridge is. I like the honest documentation of the bridge and the power lines being lit against the darker foliage adds a dimension that helps tie the two side of the crevis along with the bridge and helps create a visual tension. Thats my 2 cents.

Feb 20, 2024 at 07:03 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

gdanmitchell wrote:
They might tell more of “a” story, but not more of “the” story.” There’s more than one story to tell with a subject like that — and while yours might be, mine isn’t about the wires. :-)

My “story” was about the bridge, but also about the cliffs and sea just beyond it. The receding and similarly angled headlands just south of the bridge have long intrigued me, and that’s part of why I cropped so tightly. In fact, the majority of my Big Sur work is “about” impressions of natural landscape and seascape.

I did realize that my composition was “tighter” and,
...Show more

Agree. If you get 5 good photographers to photograph the same thing you will probably and should get 5 different interpretations.

Feb 20, 2024 at 07:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

airfrogusmc wrote:
Agree. If you get 5 good photographers to photograph the same thing you will probably and should get 5 different interpretations.

Hell, send ME there five times and you'll get ten different versions. I already know what I'm going to do differently on my next trip.

Feb 20, 2024 at 08:29 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Great shot, and I am in the camp of show what is there. It is all part of the story.

So, is route 1 finally reopened after that massive landslide about two years ago? I think just north of Lucia?

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Desmolicious wrote:
Great shot, and I am in the camp of show what is there. It is all part of the story.

So, is route 1 finally reopened after that massive landslide about two years ago? I think just north of Lucia?

You can get current road conditions here, among other places. From the current report, it appears to be closed due to slides along the lower part of what we think of as the greater Big Sur coast.

That massive slide you mention (along with a route-breaking bridge collapse near the town of Big Sur) was resolved previously.

It is just a really precarious road, and it gets closed pretty frequently when there are storms. Most closures are brief, but...

- -

I was considering a visit to the coast today, hoping for post storm clouds and offshore showers, but the weather was just a bit too crazy around here for that. Maybe tomorrow (Wednesday)?

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:43 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Desmolicious wrote:

Huss - The signs heading south from Carmel Valley Road were saying that the highway was closed 44 miles south of there, so that would be about 18 miles south of Big Sur. My friends up in Monterey said that the closure was just south of Naciemento-Ferguson Rd, which goes from Hwy 1 through Ft. Hunter Liggett back toward Hwy 101 south of King City.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:47 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Peter, as usual you captured the scene perfectly. I am in the camp of leaving the cables. In fact after reading thru some of the posts I went back and viewed the image on my monitor. When viewing my eyes go straight to the Bixby bridge and didn’t find the cables distracting. Quite a bit of history behind that bridge. I believe back in the days inmate labor was used during construction. I miss going to Monterey. Thanks for sharing 👍🏻

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:25 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Peter Figen wrote:
Huss - The signs heading south from Carmel Valley Road were saying that the highway was closed 44 miles south of there, so that would be about 18 miles south of Big Sur. My friends up in Monterey said that the closure was just south of Naciemento-Ferguson Rd, which goes from Hwy 1 through Ft. Hunter Liggett back toward Hwy 101 south of King City.

Ach, that means you can't drive up from Cambria on 1. Also it means you can't get to Fort Hunter Liggett road as a detour to go around it, as the old Coast Road is on the north side of the slide.

In the past there have been slides that closed the road, but those most often would be because the road needed to be cleared. This one the road fell off the cliff face, so they have to cut a new road into the side of the mountain..

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Desmolicious wrote:
Ach, that means you can't drive up from Cambria on 1. Also it means you can't get to Fort Hunter Liggett road as a detour to go around it, as the old Coast Road is on the north side of the slide.

In the past there have been slides that closed the road, but those most often would be because the road needed to be cleared. This one the road fell off the cliff face, so they have to cut a new road into the side of the mountain..

I remember back in the mid 1980's when there was a massive slide south of Big Sur where the road was closed for something like five years. I went up in my parents' next door neighbor's Cessna and shot that slide from the air. Somewhere I have those shots showing massive earth moving equipment looking like tiny matchbook cars.

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Peter Figen wrote:
I remember back in the mid 1980's when there was a massive slide south of Big Sur where the road was closed for something like five years. I went up in my parents' next door neighbor's Cessna and shot that slide from the air. Somewhere I have those shots showing massive earth moving equipment looking like tiny matchbook cars.

You do know there is a thread to show 'old' film images that have finally been scanned?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1840003

Feb 21, 2024 at 02:26 PM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

I never clone out anything. Not into fiction.

Feb 21, 2024 at 03:29 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Desmolicious wrote:
You do know there is a thread to show 'old' film images that have finally been scanned?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1840003

Ha. Yes. I do. I'm jamming to get this current job out the door, well, at least wetransferred to the client and maybe get up the Kenneth Hahn this afternoon.

Feb 21, 2024 at 03:47 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

AndrewNYC wrote:

As a commercial photographer as well, I have cloned out everything, fixed more stuff than you can imagine, replaced people and skies and a hundred other things. There's a difference between fiction and illustration to tell a story. In this case I leave everything for sure, but not necessarily in every case.

Feb 21, 2024 at 03:50 PM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

Peter Figen wrote:
As a commercial photographer as well, I have cloned out everything, fixed more stuff than you can imagine, replaced people and skies and a hundred other things. There's a difference between fiction and illustration to tell a story. In this case I leave everything for sure, but not necessarily in every case.

My comment doesn't hold for people actually making a living Except for photojournalists.

Feb 21, 2024 at 03:58 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

AndrewNYC wrote:
My comment doesn't hold for people actually making a living Except for photojournalists.

Yeah. Photojournalists for sure. And a few of them have been busted in the last several years for being, how do you say, not so journalistic.

Feb 21, 2024 at 04:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

AndrewNYC wrote:

That perspective leads to a big subject worth looking into more deeply. (No photograph is objectively equal to truth. All photographs are subjective. All photographs “lie.”)

For one thing, the world is not black and white. :-)

I’ll leave it at that. For now.

Feb 21, 2024 at 05:19 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

gdanmitchell wrote:
That perspective leads to a big subject worth looking into more deeply. (No photograph is objectively equal to truth. All photographs are subjective. All photographs “lie.”)

For one thing, the world is not black and white. :-)

I’ll leave it at that. For now.

Once upon a time it was Kodachrome...

Feb 21, 2024 at 07:21 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

We all have or own ways of how we work. The work of very early photographers like Henry Peach Robinson were manipulated and that is as early as the mid 1800s. Also see the work of Jerry Uelsmann from the 1960 on. And there is the digital work of John Paul Caponigro (the son of Paul Caponigro).

And as to photogrpahs being the truth? A few thoughts on that:
"Because we see reality in different ways, we must understand that we are looking at different truths rather than the truth and that, therefore, all photographs lie in one way or another."-John Szarkowski

"All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth."-Richard Avedon

"What the photographer taking the picture and the historian viewing it must understand is that while the camera deals with recording factual things and events that form the subject of the photograph, it only produces a perceived reality that is remembered after the thing or event has passed. While people believe that photographs do not lie, this is an illusion caused by the mistaken belief that the subject and the picture of the subject is the same thing."-John Szarkowski

Garry Winogrand from about 1:27 through about 2:46.

Feb 21, 2024 at 07:26 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · A couple from Big Sur and Monterey

I'll have to watch that. I photographed Gary at Asilomar Conference Grounds in the late 70's using a Leica Model A from 1928 or thereabouts and cut his head off on purpose. Now just where are those negs

Feb 21, 2024 at 09:23 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.