New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Stopped here last Saturday afternoon to check out the pump jack that I've photographed several times over the last couple of years only to find they either changed the head on it or painted it black and now it's just not that photogenic, but then looking off to the west I saw this last bit of sun glinting off this pump jack and grabbed the 500mm Canon. Kinda knew the shot I wanted but wasn't sure of the exact orientation, so here's one of the last shots I made that afternoon. GFX100S and Canon 500mm f/4 IS v2.

Chevron Lost Hills Oil Field

GFX100S    Fringer/EF 500/4.0 [237,0,40,48,0.029617] lens    500mm    f/11.0    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 16, 2024 at 08:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Nicely seen ... dig on the "time of day" + directional orientation.

I've always thought that every photographer should carry a watch and a compass ... even, if only "mental" ones.

Feb 16, 2024 at 09:12 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

RustyBug wrote:
Nicely seen ... dig on the "time of day" + directional orientation.

I've always thought that every photographer should carry a watch and a compass ... even, if only "mental" ones.

I went to a Pete Turner lecture in S.F. back in the late 70's and the one think I took away from that was that if you're photographing something and and you like the light, try turning around 180 degrees and it will probably be just as interesting but in a different way. Never forgot that and still practice it. This was about ninety degrees to the west of where I had been looking but it also required "seeing" it as a long telephoto shot as well.

Feb 16, 2024 at 09:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Peter Figen wrote:
I went to a Pete Turner lecture in S.F. back in the late 70's and the one think I took away from that was that if you're photographing something and and you like the light, try turning around 180 degrees and it will probably be just as interesting but in a different way. Never forgot that and still practice it. This was about ninety degrees to the west of where I had been looking but it also required "seeing" it as a long telephoto shot as well.

+1 for 90 Degrees.

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:01 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

RustyBug wrote:
+1 for 90 Degrees.

I think my real takeaway from that lecture was to be aware of the light in all directions and you might be surprised at what you find. I did shoot roughly in this direction a year ago, well, eleven months ago, and a month makes a difference in the direction of the light for sure, but what I was seeing then and never quite captured it was the oblique later afternoon sun reflecting off the power lines as they repeated off into the distance. More than anything I made a mental note to revisit that aspect later on, and unfortunately on this trip, it was dumping rain when I was on the way to Monterey. I figure I'll be going up there again within a couple of months anyway.

And as you know so well Kent, as someone who revisits the same location over and over again, it looks different, sometimes unrecognizably so with each visit. It's part of what keeps me going back.

Feb 17, 2024 at 04:05 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Peter Figen wrote:
I think my real takeaway from that lecture was to be aware of the light in all directions and you might be surprised at what you find. I did shoot roughly in this direction a year ago, well, eleven months ago, and a month makes a difference in the direction of the light for sure, but what I was seeing then and never quite captured it was the oblique later afternoon sun reflecting off the power lines as they repeated off into the distance. More than anything I made a mental note to revisit that aspect later on, and
...Show more

+1 for "looks" different ... also, you "see" different.

Feb 17, 2024 at 05:59 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

I love all "the mess" here Peter! Yes the light hitting the "hammer head" pulls everything together!

Dan

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

RustyBug wrote:
+1 for "looks" different ... also, you "see" different.

Well I hope so. And so do you my friend, so do you.

Feb 17, 2024 at 01:52 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Danpbphoto wrote:
I love all "the mess" here Peter! Yes the light hitting the "hammer head" pulls everything together!

Dan

Dan, yes, all the clutter left and right was important and getting it all exactly in the frame where I wanted it was a lot more difficult with a 500mm lens. I think my next Arca-Swiss Cube with be the one with the geared pan control. And I thought I wouldn't need it.

Feb 17, 2024 at 01:54 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Yes, very good advice, thanks.
Beautiful pix and light on the one.

Feb 17, 2024 at 06:09 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Peter, you caught some very nice last light of the day! well done

Feb 19, 2024 at 02:45 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

Bill Gass wrote:
Yes, very good advice, thanks.
Beautiful pix and light on the one.

Thank you Bill.

Feb 19, 2024 at 09:13 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lost Hills Chevron Pump Jack

keepclicking wrote:
Peter, you caught some very nice last light of the day! well done

Thanks Parul. We'll talk soon.

Feb 19, 2024 at 09:13 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.