New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6              8       end

Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

sdent64

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

i don't see the 1.4 samples, but either way, I've been carrying my 1.4 for edc and it's just too big for me right now. the 18 f2 is about max size for carrying everywhere for me. or the x100vi. but i prefer 18mm. just want something a bit better than the fuji 18 f2. maybe that doesn't exist yet .

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:36 AM
olegkin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

sdent64 wrote:
i don't see the 1.4 samples, but either way, I've been carrying my 1.4 for edc and it's just too big for me right now. the 18 f2 is about max size for carrying everywhere for me. or the x100vi. but i prefer 18mm. just want something a bit better than the fuji 18 f2. maybe that doesn't exist yet .

I don't know your circumstances so it might not apply to you, but I solved the issue with size by getting a slightly bigger edc bag.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:11 PM
sdent64

p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

olegkin wrote:
I don't know your circumstances so it might not apply to you, but I solved the issue with size by getting a slightly bigger edc bag.

Ha. don't get me going on my bag journey. i've settled on two bags after years of trial. a bellroy 10l sling and an arktype dashpack. both are great for different things, but they ideally fit a slim camera like the x100vi/xt30+18f2. also, i'd prefer the least weight as well. When i have the sling equipped with just camera gear going to an event or something I always take my fast primes. but for edc i want to keep it super simple with an 18mm or an 18+35 1.4. small, light, good fl balance...

I can do the 18 1.4 in the dashpack, but not the sling with my edc gear. but it is noticeably heavier and thicker. i also honestly enjoy the 18 f2 and 35 1.4 in terms of handling too. there's just something so amazing feeling about those lenses/body ratio when holding and shooting. the 1.4 isn't far off, but man i love my 35 1.4 handling.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:20 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Picked up one of these and my first impressions are very positive. I like the focal length and have the both the 18/2 and 18/1.4 and feel the corners are a lot more acceptable than the 18/2 for shots where that matters(although not it's strength the 18/1.4 is really the choice there). The sunstars will be fun to have as well as I haven't been using lenses that do that easily so that will be interesting to explore. Built quality is great. I'm still playing with it and have yet to explore it's close focusing and rendering but I think it will supplant my 18/2 as the choice for a compact 18.

May 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

rbf_ wrote:
Picked up one of these and my first impressions are very positive. I like the focal length and have the both the 18/2 and 18/1.4 and feel the corners are a lot more acceptable than the 18/2 for shots where that matters(although not it's strength the 18/1.4 is really the choice there). The sunstars will be fun to have as well as I haven't been using lenses that do that easily so that will be interesting to explore. Built quality is great. I'm still playing with it and have yet to explore it's close focusing and rendering but I think
...Show more

I ended up buying one and can't take it off my X-Pro3. It's a versatile "28mm" pancake lens that never disappoints.

May 18, 2024 at 11:57 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I ended up buying one and can't take it off my X-Pro3. It's a versatile "28mm" pancake lens that never disappoints.

Yeah the focal length makes for a nice walk around lens. I like that they did a slightly different max aperture from the Fuji versions with the 18 and 27 pancakes. That and the sunstars makes it easier to justify keeping both versions

May 19, 2024 at 10:53 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Here is the link to download the 3D adapter STL file that allows a B+W UV glass to be inserted inside the ultra-compact hood. This works for the Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 and 27mm f/2 Ultron lenses:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1813648/6#16567204

Lens with built-in UV filter (inside the hood)

Jun 08, 2024 at 01:57 PM
rollei35_warton

p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Did anyone by any chance use this lens on the newly released x-t50? I’m wondering if the manual focus assistance works, like focus peak, split image, etc?
I heard not all Fuji x cameras’ focus assistance work with voigtlander lenses

Jun 18, 2024 at 11:00 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

rollei35_warton wrote:
Did anyone by any chance use this lens on the newly released x-t50? I’m wondering if the manual focus assistance works, like focus peak, split image, etc?
I heard not all Fuji x cameras’ focus assistance work with voigtlander lenses

I don't have X-T50 but what you heard is probably related to the limitations where electronic communication is not supported between Voigtländer X-mount lenses and older Fujifilm X-mount cameras. Cosina has a list of supported/unsupported models and firmwares on their product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/x-mount/color-skopar-18mm-f2-8-aspherical/

Everything should work with the new models like X-T50 that use basically the same platform as X-T5.

(Some manual focus aids like peaking should work even without electronic communication as they work fine for example with rangefinder lenses without any electronic contacts too.)

Jun 19, 2024 at 01:19 AM
rollei35_warton

p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I don't have X-T50 but what you heard is probably related to the limitations where electronic communication is not supported between Voigtländer X-mount lenses and older Fujifilm X-mount cameras. Cosina has a list of supported/unsupported models and firmwares on their product page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/x-mount/color-skopar-18mm-f2-8-aspherical/

Everything should work with the new models like X-T50 that use basically the same platform as X-T5.

(Some manual focus aids like peaking should work even without electronic communication as they work fine for example with rangefinder lenses without any electronic contacts too.)

That's what I thought too. The electronic contacts on the lens are to communicate the Exif information with the body. The manual focus assistance should work with or without those electronic contacts.

however, I saw some youtube that claimed the focus peaking doesn't work with an adapter non-X native lenses. I don't know why. But I don't want to invest an adapter to experiment.

I grabbed a X-T50 yesterday, but I have no X lenses at all. This Voigtlander 18/2.8 was ordered and still on its way. I have a bunch of Leica M lenses that I don't plan to try them on the x-t50 with an adapter. I heard most of LM-FX adapters are horribly machined anyway, except the Fuji one which is ridiculously expensive.

Jun 19, 2024 at 07:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

rollei35_warton wrote:
That's what I thought too. The electronic contacts on the lens are to communicate the Exif information with the body. The manual focus assistance should work with or without those electronic contacts.

however, I saw some youtube that claimed the focus peaking doesn't work with an adapter non-X native lenses. I don't know why. But I don't want to invest an adapter to experiment.

I grabbed a X-T50 yesterday, but I have no X lenses at all. This Voigtlander 18/2.8 was ordered and still on its way. I have a bunch of Leica M lenses that I don't plan to try them
...Show more

I like the Voigtlander VM/X Adapter for M to Fuji X Version II adapter. It's beautifully crafted and only slightly heavier than the Fuji. The benefit is that its helicoid allows 4.5mm of travel for close focusing. After getting the Voigtlander, I no longer needed the Fuji.

In a budget, the TTArtisan adapter is also crafted to tight tolerance: https://ttartisan.store/products/ttartisan-leica-m-lens-to-fujifilm-fx-mount-camera-adapter

Jun 19, 2024 at 12:05 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

rollei35_warton wrote:

I grabbed a X-T50 yesterday, but I have no X lenses at all. This Voigtlander 18/2.8 was ordered and still on its way. I have a bunch of Leica M lenses that I don't plan to try them
...Show more

I have a Rayqual LM-FX adapter which I use when I want to adapt my M/LTM rangefinder lenses to my X-S10 (LTM lenses also need M adapter ring). I find Rayqual adapters to be the best in terms of quality, having exactly accurate thickness so that hard infinity can be used with most lenses etc. However, I think they are not necessarily easy to find outside of Japan. They also have no in-built helicoids so they can't be used for extra close focusing like Voigtländer helicoid adapters. With X-S10 focus peaking and magnification (needs to be triggered manually) work fine with my adapted lenses although there is no electronic communication at all. It would be quite surprising if those didn't work with X-T50.

https://www.rayqual.com/Fuji_X.html

However, I do prefer to adapt my M/LTM on full frame (like my Sony A7CII) as first option to keep the original field of view etc. and I primarily use my X-S10 with native Voigtländer X-mount lenses only.

Jun 19, 2024 at 08:41 PM
rollei35_warton

p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I have a Rayqual LM-FX adapter which I use when I want to adapt my M/LTM rangefinder lenses to my X-S10 (LTM lenses also need M adapter ring). I find Rayqual adapters to be the best in terms of quality, having exactly accurate thickness so that hard infinity can be used with most lenses etc. However, I think they are not necessarily easy to find outside of Japan. They also have no in-built helicoids so they can't be used for extra close focusing like Voigtländer helicoid adapters. With X-S10 focus peaking and magnification (needs to be triggered manually) work
...Show more

I have rayqual L39 to M adapter both 50 and 35mm, I can attest they have the best quality I have ever seen, very precise and fitting is top notch. Maybe I should try their x-mount adapter too.
This company is where I bought L39 to M adapter, they have x-mount adapter too. But too expensive. it's not worth the cost. https://japanhobbytool.com/collections/lma-fujix/products/fuji-x-body-m-lens

A side question, does the collapsible M lens work with fuji x-mount? I have a LLL 35mm collapsible L39 mount, adapted to a M11. I am thinking further adapter to x-mount x-t50, but is the collapsed lens going to touch anything inside the x-t50? I would prefer to use that lens on the x-t50 because it would look really compact and stealthy.

Jun 19, 2024 at 09:25 PM
rollei35_warton

p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I like the Voigtlander VM/X Adapter for M to Fuji X Version II adapter. It's beautifully crafted and only slightly heavier than the Fuji. The benefit is that its helicoid allows 4.5mm of travel for close focusing. After getting the Voigtlander, I no longer needed the Fuji.

In a budget, the TTArtisan adapter is also crafted to tight tolerance: https://ttartisan.store/products/ttartisan-leica-m-lens-to-fujifilm-fx-mount-camera-adapter

That's the voigtlander adapter you refer to? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1695930-REG/voigtlander_bd284b_v_x_close_focus_adapter.html
It cost more than half of the voigtlander 18 or 27 pancake x-moutn lens. I will pass, and wait for the lens to be shipped then.

Jun 19, 2024 at 09:32 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

rollei35_warton wrote:
I have rayqual L39 to M adapter both 50 and 35mm, I can attest they have the best quality I have ever seen, very precise and fitting is top notch. Maybe I should try their x-mount adapter too.
This company is where I bought L39 to M adapter, they have x-mount adapter too. But too expensive. it's not worth the cost. https://japanhobbytool.com/collections/lma-fujix/products/fuji-x-body-m-lens

A side question, does the collapsible M lens work with fuji x-mount? I have a LLL 35mm collapsible L39 mount, adapted to a M11. I am thinking further adapter to x-mount x-t50, but is the collapsed lens going to touch
...Show more

My collapsible CV 50/2 Heliar classic works fine on Fuji X-mount (it doesn't extend much at all beyond the adapter when in collapsed state) but I don't know if there is anything about LLL 35mm that would be a problem as I don't have that lens. Most likely that too would work fine.

Jun 21, 2024 at 06:09 AM
Erich6_

p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

The Voigtlamder 18mm for X mount should work great on the X-T50. Do let us know how it goes.

Jun 22, 2024 at 05:44 AM
Gabe13
• •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

Ok so I'm probably gonna do something I said I wasn't going to...which is manually adapt Voigtlander to X . I am considering an M mount Ultron 75mm f/1.9 in Matte Black which is quite small and light by itself. Now looking at the VM/X adapter I am estimating based on pictures that it adds roughly about 1cm to the length of a lens when everything is mounted. Is this a fair estimate? Also, if you know or have a scale, can you tell me what the raw weight of the adapter is?

The lens adapters for my previous FF SLR gear add a little over 2cm and 99g due to the longer flange focal distance of SLRs which tends to bog down some otherwise OK options for a medium tele in EFL terms. I have 2 things I plan to try first, but if I don't like neither of those then adapted Voigtlander it is.
---------------------------------------------

Erich6_ wrote:
The Voigtlamder 18mm for X mount should work great on the X-T50. Do let us know how it goes.

It works fantastic on the smaller/lighter X-T30ii so it should work brilliantly on an X-T50. It looks and is an amazingly compact setup

Small and Stealthy

Jun 22, 2024 at 11:05 AM
rollei35_warton

p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Finally got the silver on, mounted on the silver x-t50.
The lens color is lighter/brighter than the camera's top plate. It creates some interesting combination. However I have to say the hood with the screw-in cap really looks silly. Probably I should get a squarehood. But it will add some size to it.
I took some pictures with it, looks pretty good. I will upload some when I have time this coming weekend.

I am not sure if a link to the flickr will work. (seems not )

IMG_4865 by Jin Qian, on Flickr

Jun 24, 2024 at 10:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

rollei35_warton wrote:
Finally got the silver on, mounted on the silver x-t50.
The lens color is lighter/brighter than the camera's top plate. It creates some interesting combination. However I have to say the hood with the screw-in cap really looks silly. Probably I should get a squarehood. But it will add some size to it.
I took some pictures with it, looks pretty good. I will upload some when I have time this coming weekend.

I am not sure if a link to the flickr will work. (seems not )

Looks great! With Flickr you need to click on the 'share' icon and use their BBcode. I fixed it for you.

Jun 25, 2024 at 10:34 AM
rollei35_warton

p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Thanks, Fred. let me try it again. I took some pictures during sunset/sunrise hours. Looks pretty cool.
No edit, JPEG, SOOC

DSCF0065 by Jin Qian, on Flickr

DSCF0064 by Jin Qian, on Flickr

DSCF0062 by Jin Qian, on Flickr

Jun 25, 2024 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.