New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              7       end

Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

FJR1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Backyard magnolia blossoms, discolored, a bit, by frost, using Fuji Provia Standard in post via Photoshop.

X-T5    VOIGTLANDER COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 lens    18mm    f/2.8    1/125s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 05, 2024 at 09:53 AM
FJR1
• • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

It's not a bad close-up lens, either. Here's a photo taken today for the B&S forum to sell a Fuji 35mm f/2 to help purchase a "teammate" for the 18mm Color-Skopar; that is, the 27mm f/2 Ultron.

X-T5    VOIGTLANDER COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 lens    18mm    f/4.0    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 05, 2024 at 11:09 AM
FJR1
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Another fairly close shot of a frost-damaged blossom in the wind with the Color-Skopar 18mm f/2.8 from Cosina/Voigtlander.

X-T5    VOIGTLANDER COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 lens    18mm    f/2.8    1/60s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 07, 2024 at 10:21 AM
Gabe13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Recently obtained my copy of this remarkable little lens in person at Map Camera. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and even got some cool product brochures...one for the X-T5 from Fujifilm and one for this lens from Cosina Voigtlander which was a small bonus.

It was nice to have a real camera store experience (where I live there are none unfortunately) and the store itself was great. The staff on the Fuji/Nikon/Pentax floor (3rd floor) were extremely nice and helped me out immensely being that I speak practically no Japanese other than basic phrases to get through my travels. They spoke enough English that there was no issue with getting what I wanted and making the transaction.

I went down there the afternoon of the second day I was in Tokyo and they indeed had the lens in stock, they just had to send someone somewhere (stock room?) for about 5 minutes and they returned with my brand new boxed lens.

Conversion price was $410USD tax free...what a deal!.

I departed Tokyo a few days ago and although I am still traveling, here are a few first sample shots taken with the 18mm/2.8 soon after acquiring it.

First shot taken
Sakura walk by Gabe D., on Flickr
CV COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 18mm f/2.8 1/500s 200 ISO
Velvia Vivid SOOC

Sakura Trees and Pond by Gabe D., on Flickr
CV COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 18mm f/8 1/125s 200 ISO
Velvia Vivid SOOC

Heading to Temple by Gabe D., on Flickr
CV COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 18mm f/2.8 1/250s 125 ISO
Classic Chrome SOOC

Immense Sandal by Gabe D., on Flickr
CV COLOR-SKOPAR 18mm F2.8 18mm f/2.8 1/250s 125 ISO
ACROS SOOC

Apr 10, 2024 at 08:22 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Gabe13 wrote:
Recently obtained my copy of this remarkable little lens in person at Map Camera. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and even got some cool product brochures...one for the X-T5 from Fujifilm and one for this lens from Cosina Voigtlander which was a small bonus.

It was nice to have a real camera store experience (where I live there are none unfortunately) and the store itself was great. The staff on the Fuji/Nikon/Pentax floor (3rd floor) were extremely nice and helped me out immensely being that I speak practically no Japanese other than basic phrases to get through my travels. They
...Show more

Great to hear it went well with getting the lens from Map Camera I hope you enjoy the lens as much as I have enjoyed mine! Did you get the black or silver one?

Apr 10, 2024 at 09:41 AM
Erich6_

p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

I've been busy traveling for work so haven't had much time with this lens but here are some shots taken while waiting at the airport:

f/8, 1/125s, ISO 2000

f/8, 1/125s, ISO 2500

f/5.6, 1/60s, ISO 3200

f/4, 1/30s, ISO 1250

f/4, 1/125s, ISO 1600

All shot on X-T30II

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:43 AM
small3456

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Gabe13 wrote:

It was nice to have a real camera store experience (where I live there are none unfortunately) and the store itself was great. The staff on the Fuji/Nikon/Pentax floor (3rd floor) were extremely nice and helped me out immensely being that I speak practically no Japanese other than basic phrases to get through my travels. They
...Show more

Good to hear you have had great experience with the shop! Enjoy and take more great shots!

Apr 11, 2024 at 01:12 AM
Gabe13
• •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Great to hear it went well with getting the lens from Map Camera I hope you enjoy the lens as much as I have enjoyed mine! Did you get the black or silver one?

Haha...I looked at both with much consideration. The silver finish is nice nice and does seem brighter than my X-T5 finish but not in a clashing way.

I went with classic black solely on the basis that it makes for a nice duo with my CV 27mm/2 and since I now have the complete X mount CV lenses ( I'll refer to them as the Seven Samurai in honor of Kurosawa ) an all black CV suite is sweet.

Apr 11, 2024 at 01:50 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Gabe13 wrote:
Haha...I looked at both with much consideration. The silver finish is nice nice and does seem brighter than my X-T5 finish but not in a clashing way.

I went with classic black solely on the basis that it makes for a nice duo with my CV 27mm/2 and since I now have the complete X mount CV lenses ( I'll refer to them as the Seven Samurai in honor of Kurosawa ) an all black CV suite is sweet.

I see I'm also sticking to black versions only but my X-S10 is of course all black as well. I'm still sticking to 6 out of 7. Just after New Year I saw the 35/0.9 at 20% off from their usual price at Fujiya Camera on a special New Year Sale for a very limited time but I didn't have the budget for it at the time and I still think I don't really need it. Curious to see what Cosina comes up with next for X-mount and when...

Apr 11, 2024 at 07:24 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

@yukosteel recently posted a disassembly article on the Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar:

https://www.yukosteel.com/2024/04/disassembly-voigtlander-18mm-f28-color.html

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gabe13
• •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I see I'm also sticking to black versions only but my X-S10 is of course all black as well. I'm still sticking to 6 out of 7. Just after New Year I saw the 35/0.9 at 20% off from their usual price at Fujiya Camera on a special New Year Sale for a very limited time but I didn't have the budget for it at the time and I still think I don't really need it. Curious to see what Cosina comes up with next for X-mount and when...

X-S10 is a sweet camera...I recommended that model to a friend last year who wanted to jump into photography as a hobby and liked what I had to say about my move to Fujifilm and its wonderful film simulations.

Yeah...I would say the 35/0.9 is not something I needed per se as I was and still am happy with the 35/1.2 ( especially its diminutive size ) but I was greatly intrigued by its optical complexity and engineering and when Camera Quest dropped the price to $1299 ( no tax for me out of state + free overnight shipping ) I succumbed to GAS Having to rebuild a whole new setup with Fujifilm after being with Pentax for over a decade has been interesting but also a little difficult as I had been used to what I had built over that time with it.

I don't regret acquiring the 35/0.9 one bit and my preliminary scratch at the surface with it has impressed me tremendously. It does for me seem to give me that FF experience and I have to one day really take it out and run with it.

So I am really liking the examples I see so far on this thread with the 18/2.8 and looking through some of the other shots I have taken ( will post some more a bit later ) it performs as well or better than I was hoping. Now regarding CV's pipeline of what may be next...I really want my 75mm either f1.5 Nokton or f1.9 Ultron and I'll be happy as a clam

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:20 AM
Gabe13
• •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

A few more examples with this amazing little lens mounted on an X-T5

Meguro View

Jizo 六

Random Sakura

All SOOC images using Velvia Vivid and Classic Neg...I luv that I can just transfer from camera to phone and upload

Using this lens has been a joy. It's small and relatively easy to handle except when using the camera in portrait orientation as I find the focus tab location requires a bit of dexterity for me with my big fingers...but its similar to using the 27mm/2.0 so its not too bad for me. Infinity position seems spot on with my copy and thus is super convenient in such instances. Like some of you have found to be the case...it does close focus remarkably well. I'm looking forward to continue experimenting with it. As much as I like to read and see posts of technical testing...I am just a regular user that enjoys my gear and the process of using it so my examples are just reflective of that.

Anyways, I'm currently in Saigon and have pretty much been using only the CV 27mm/2 over the last week or so around the central coast of Vietnam but I'm heading to the Imperial City soon and I think I'll take just the CV 18mm/2.8 and 35mm/1.2 for that.

So it seems that Nikon Z is now getting that CV 75mm/1.5 Nokton Aspherical that Canon RF is getting...is there one coming for Fuji X soon?

Apr 18, 2024 at 09:18 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Gabe13 wrote:
A few more examples with this amazing little lens mounted on an X-T5

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53654848771_f60ca62c2a_b.jpgMeguro View

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53658857182_191f8e270b_b.jpgJizo 六

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53659715488_d9b140665c_b.jpgRandom Sakura

All SOOC images using Velvia Vivid and Classic Neg...I luv that I can just transfer from camera to phone and upload

Using this lens has been a joy. It's small and relatively easy to handle except when using the camera in portrait orientation as I find the focus tab location requires a bit of dexterity for me with my big fingers...but its similar to using the 27mm/2.0 so its not too bad for me. Infinity position seems spot on with my copy and thus
...Show more

75/1.5 was pre-announced for Canon RF, Nikon Z and Sony E at CP+, and RF & Z versions have already been officially announced for April and May release. I guess Sony E version will likely follow next with a June release.

However, since it's a FF lens, I think Cosina would not release one for APS-C X-mount as they already have 50/1.2 for Fuji X with practically the same field of view as 75mm in FF. If they make a 75mm in APS-C it will correspond to 112.5mm in FF which would be a much more exotic field of view. They do have 110mm Macro APO-Lanthar for Sony E but that's a whole different type of lens and relatively big and heavy. They don't have a history of making this type of portrait lenses at >100mm focal lengths so I would be a bit surprised if they made one... Not sure what would make most sense as their next X-mount lens though.

Apr 19, 2024 at 05:11 AM
Gabe13
• •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
75/1.5 was pre-announced for Canon RF, Nikon Z and Sony E at CP+, and RF & Z versions have already been officially announced for April and May release. I guess Sony E version will likely follow next with a June release.

However, since it's a FF lens, I think Cosina would not release one for APS-C X-mount as they already have 50/1.2 for Fuji X with practically the same field of view as 75mm in FF. If they make a 75mm in APS-C it will correspond to 112.5mm in FF which would be a much more exotic field of view.
...Show more

Those are all valid points of discussion ...but...although the CV 75mm covers FF it definitely can be used on APS-C based RF or Z mount cameras

Yeah, I would like a "small" native mount medium telephoto of around 100mm to 135mm effective focal length. Although I have the excellent XF 90mm/2, it is larger than I would like for international travels unfortunately.

I do have a full frame FA 77mm/1.8 that is compact and retains it's rendering character when I use it adapted but the adapter does add length and weight so it's not ideal and of course obviously there's no data transmitted.

Anyways an X mount CV 75mm Nokton or Ultra is on my "wishlist"...even a 90mm Skopar or Lanthar would be nice but of course Fujifilm does not have a FF X for such a lens to occupy 2 sensor sizes as is the case with Canon or Nikon but who knows what CV has in store. They do seem to be on a role lately and I hope they aren't done with Fujifilm X, so perhaps a wishlist is not so bad a thing to have

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:47 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

Gabe13 wrote:
Those are all valid points of discussion ...but...although the CV 75mm covers FF it definitely can be used on APS-C based RF or Z mount cameras

Yeah, I would like a "small" native mount medium telephoto of around 100mm to 135mm effective focal length. Although I have the excellent XF 90mm/2, it is larger than I would like for international travels unfortunately.

I do have a full frame FA 77mm/1.8 that is compact and retains it's rendering character when I use it adapted but the adapter does add length and weight so it's not ideal and of course obviously there's
...Show more

I have the CV 75/1.9 Ultron as well as 90/2.8 APO-Skopar in VM which could be used adapted on the Fuji but I'm just using them on my Sony A7CII (and for 90mm I mostly use my Sigma 90/2.8 I-series lens), as I haven't much missed the longer range on my X-S10. I do think CV will be back with something new for Fuji X perhaps later this year after they've released all the lenses they pre-announced at CP+, or at least next year. Their Fuji X lineup has continued to sell well in Japan so far.

I have no idea what they would release next though. I'm thinking of another pancake lens in the similar style as their 18/2.8 and 27/2, e.g. perhaps a 14mm that would match 21mm in FF could be made in the same style. Not sure if it would sell as well as the others though... Would make some sense to expand their Fuji X range into wider and longer side.

Apr 21, 2024 at 06:38 AM
redisred
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

I got the 90 skopar adapted from M to X mount recently and Iím loving it. I had the 90 f/2 before and loved it, but not the size/weight. Worth a try if you want a compact tele for Fuji!

Apr 23, 2024 at 01:46 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

What's great is that most Voigtlander telephoto lenses are also compatible with Fuji's teleconverters (1.4x and 2x). They just need to have the proper spacing for the protruding section of the converter.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:55 AM
Gabe13
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

That adapted 90mm Skopar might be a viable option and something I may consider in the future. I had a 90mm Lanthar on my previous system and really liked it due to its super compact size with great CV IQ.

The 90mm Skopar is smaller and lighter than my FA 77mm and from what I see the M to X adapter is thinner and lighter than K to X adapters so it would absolutely make for a compact solution for a 120mm effective FL lens.

I would still be missing data, however, so I don't mind waiting for another year or so to see what CV has in store for X

Thanks for bringing this option to mind, I will keep it there in case.

Apr 25, 2024 at 09:01 PM
sdent64

p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

i own the fuji 18 1.4 and just got the f2 looking for a smaller EDC lens. Honestly, I'm torn. I like the f2, the bokeh is smooth and decent. It really isn't a "bad" lens as some say. However, it isn't as sharp as I would hope for. Especially in the corners, even at 5.6-8. And the corner CA on mine seems pretty bad. With center CA being mediocre.

Long story short, I'm not sold on it. I love my 35 1.4, which is by no means a technical marvel, but by golly it produces great images. Nothing the 18 f2 has taken strikes me as impressive really. The 1.4 does, but it's big and heavy. This skopar 18 2.8 looks intriguing. I don't mind manual focus for a wide angel. I'm curious if anyone has any raw samples? All the shots here are processed and reduced jpgs. I'd love to compare raw files to my 18 f2...

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:27 PM
olegkin
• •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Voigtlander 18mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar X-mount Review

sdent64 wrote:
i own the fuji 18 1.4 and just got the f2 looking for a smaller EDC lens. Honestly, I'm torn. I like the f2, the bokeh is smooth and decent. It really isn't a "bad" lens as some say. However, it isn't as sharp as I would hope for. Especially in the corners, even at 5.6-8. And the corner CA on mine seems pretty bad. With center CA being mediocre.

Long story short, I'm not sold on it. I love my 35 1.4, which is by no means a technical marvel, but by golly it produces great images. Nothing the 18
...Show more

I tried to solve the same problem and ended up with x-h2 + xf18/1.4. It is a solution without compromises. I tried Voigtlander, and it was lovely, but its only benefit is the size. It was not good at all in my hands at f/2.8, so to me it was really f/4 lens. Manual focusing was not as pleasant as I expected due to the short throw.
I had 18/2 in the past. I am not going to search for images, but I remember it had a "lovely special character" aka it was not sharp, but it was Ok

Read the first post for samples from Voigtlander and from 18/1.4.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:42 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.