New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Best way to see/check images in the field

Jemini
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best way to see/check images in the field

I'm looking for a portable device to browse images outside. These are the options I see

1. Snapbridge - Clunky, slow connection and download. Never worked for me when needed.
2. SD card reader with OTG - Only issue is that you need a third hardware - the card reader (Camera, phone/tablet and card reader)
3. Light laptop with SD card reader - Hard to carry around

My ideal solution will be a tablet with SD card reader. But I didn't find any. Some come with micro SD reader. Anything with regular SL slot?

Anything else?

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:53 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best way to see/check images in the field

Any modern tablet or iPad can use an SD card reader, you just need an OTG adapter like your #2 option:

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Converts-Technology-Compatible/dp/B01COOQIKU/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1NX4G39Z5QACK&keywords=usb+c+otg&qid=1707782254&sprefix=usb+c+otg%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-6

If you're worried about size you can buy ones with SD card reader built in - something like this is very compact: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Reader-Memory-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B07NW8RPYN/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3K9JB5K4CMTJT&keywords=sd+reader+otg+usb+c&qid=1707782680&sprefix=sd+reader+otg+usb+c%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-15

Unless you're going to be in the field for many days at a time (and maybe that is exactly why you're looking for a solution), you're probably still better off just waiting until you get home and can use a proper computer and a large monitor.

You aren't going to find any tablet worth buying these days with a built in full-sized SD card reader. Even in laptops, you usually need to go to 16" models to get a full sized SD reader (vs micro SD).

Edited on Feb 12, 2024 at 07:05 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:57 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best way to see/check images in the field

CanadaMark wrote:
Any modern tablet or iPad can use an SD card reader, you just need an OTG adapter.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Converts-Technology-Compatible/dp/B01COOQIKU/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1NX4G39Z5QACK&keywords=usb+c+otg&qid=1707782254&sprefix=usb+c+otg%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-6

Yep, I was trying to keep the SD card reader with me. Wireless will be even better. But I think for some reason the camera manufactures still don't understand the concept of wireless. Pairing is pain and it drains too much battery. Otherwise it should be a pretty simple solution

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:01 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best way to see/check images in the field

7 bucks, one less step than Markís: https://amzn.to/3SAIqTv

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:03 PM
GoroMajima
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best way to see/check images in the field

I use camranger 2 with my Galaxy Fold 5, Tablet would work too.

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:03 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best way to see/check images in the field

You got a bunch of replies while I was editing my response with links, but the second link I posted is about as small as it gets in terms of SD card adapters and probably wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Also note that depending on the device, the speed at which they can read the SD card will vary, and you might not like the browsing experience unless you first transfer the files to the tablet so they can be read directly off the internal storage of the tablet.

Edited on Feb 12, 2024 at 07:07 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:07 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best way to see/check images in the field

You absolutely donít want to do this via wireless. The SD dongle is so easy.

Jemini wrote:
Yep, I was trying to keep the SD card reader with me. Wireless will be even better. But I think for some reason the camera manufactures still don't understand the concept of wireless. Pairing is pain and it drains too much battery. Otherwise it should be a pretty simple solution

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:07 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best way to see/check images in the field

RoamingScott wrote:
You absolutely donít want to do this via wireless. The SD dongle is so easy.

I was almost convinced. Just wanted to see if there's any other options like CamRanger. But it's expensive

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:30 PM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best way to see/check images in the field

I'm usually satisfied by looking through the EVF but in case not like when I went to Iceland and Scotland for about a month, I use an M1 11" iPad Pro.

I have had great luck with Snapbridge and use it for getting quick turn around for some clients.

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best way to see/check images in the field

Which camera do you own? If it's one with FTP client support (Z9/Z8/Zf) then the implementation is rock solid over both wired and wireless. You can have the camera upload photos when you want or automatically as you take them. You can run an FTP server on pretty much any device these day.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jemini
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best way to see/check images in the field

I'm leaning towards it. Thank you

CanadaMark wrote:
You got a bunch of replies while I was editing my response with links, but the second link I posted is about as small as it gets in terms of SD card adapters and probably wouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Also note that depending on the device, the speed at which they can read the SD card will vary, and you might not like the browsing experience unless you first transfer the files to the tablet so they can be read directly off the internal storage of the tablet.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:11 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best way to see/check images in the field

Got it. But not in apple ecosystem

RoamingScott wrote:
7 bucks, one less step than Markís: https://amzn.to/3SAIqTv

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:14 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best way to see/check images in the field

Will check it out. Looks little expensive. Thank you

GoroMajima wrote:
I use camranger 2 with my Galaxy Fold 5, Tablet would work too.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:15 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best way to see/check images in the field

I think it's about the delay. Whenever I tried using snapbridge either it didn't connect or it took too long. I'm an android user BTW. If I have enough time, then I might even be able to access laptop.

Ai_Print wrote:
I'm usually satisfied by looking through the EVF but in case not like when I went to Iceland and Scotland for about a month, I use an M1 11" iPad Pro.

I have had great luck with Snapbridge and use it for getting quick turn around for some clients.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:23 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best way to see/check images in the field

Use Z8. This is an interesting info. I'll definitely check it out. Glad I asked the question. Thank you

snapsy wrote:
Which camera do you own? If it's one with FTP client support (Z9/Z8/Zf) then the implementation is rock solid over both wired and wireless. You can have the camera upload photos when you want or automatically as you take them. You can run an FTP server on pretty much any device these day.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:24 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best way to see/check images in the field

Jemini wrote:
Use Z8. This is an interesting info. I'll definitely check it out. Glad I asked the question. Thank you

For smartphones there are a few good FTP server apps esp on Android. iPhone I think may have one or two. For my in-home shooting I have my Z9 send photos to my desktop FTP server as I shoot. They're at my computer by the time i get there

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:38 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best way to see/check images in the field

snapsy wrote:
For smartphones there are a few good FTP server apps esp on Android. iPhone I think may have one or two. For my in-home shooting I have my Z9 send photos to my desktop FTP server as I shoot. They're at my computer by the time i get there

Anything particular you like for Android? The actual solution that I was looking for was for a quick browse of the images after a shoot or during a break. But I can see this will be useful too.

Feb 13, 2024 at 07:27 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best way to see/check images in the field

I think this question can go here. I'm using a simple SD card reader with Pixel 6 phone (and a very old android tablet). Both started giving error "Issue with USB Drive Tap to Fix". Same phone and reader works fine with and SD card formatted by Sony camera. So it's something to do with Z8 or Nikon in general. Both Sony and Nikon cards are formatted in exFAT. I believe it used to work. But not sure if I have ever tried Nikon files

Any idea?

Apr 01, 2024 at 07:26 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best way to see/check images in the field

Jemini wrote:
I think this question can go here. I'm using a simple SD card reader with Pixel 6 phone (and a very old android tablet). Both started giving error "Issue with USB Drive Tap to Fix". Same phone and reader works fine with and SD card formatted by Sony camera. So it's something to do with Z8 or Nikon in general. Both Sony and Nikon cards are formatted in exFAT. I believe it used to work. But not sure if I have ever tried Nikon files

Any idea?

Sorry my bad. It was an issue with the card. This is a lexar 2000x card that was bought with D500. Still works great. But time to replace it I guess.

Apr 01, 2024 at 08:29 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best way to see/check images in the field

iPad transfer with card reader is very slow using LR to tranfer picture. Nexto or TransferMax is a great way to back up photos in the field but screen is not good enough to check picture. At the moment, I use Asus Zenbook S 13 inch
which isonly 1 kg and uses very small usb-c charger. It is powerful enough to run PS except for ai masking in ACR.

Apr 01, 2024 at 08:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.