Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

smpetty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

I live in the Appalachians where high humidity is the rule, especially in the spring and summer. I keep my guitars in a controlled humidity environment at ~ 50% RH. The rest of the home RH varies with the outside RH, usually between 35% (winter) and 65% (summer when rainy). I would estimate the average RH in the house to be between 40% and 55% most of the time (with central A/C and heat).

I have modern Sony, Voigtlander, and Zeiss Loxia lenses - all released in the last 10 or so years, all E-mount. The lenses and my A7RV stay in a cupboard in my study with glass panels. So they get some light, never direct, and the humidity is not controlled and stays equal to the ever-changing home level.

Do I need to worry about fungus growing in or on my equipment?

Feb 12, 2024 at 05:17 PM
Slalom
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

I hope not, buy I have similar view, however the word is alive with millions of tiny bodies out to prosper, sometimes at our expense!

Feb 12, 2024 at 05:28 PM
wordfool
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

Interesting question. I'd be curious to know if modern lens coatings have any sort of anti-fungal chemicals in them. Otherwise I imagine fungus is just as much a potential problem as in the past, perhaps a bit less so for sealed lenses. I keep my gear in a couple of pelican-style cases each with a rechargeable desiccant pack inside to control humidity.

Feb 12, 2024 at 05:46 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

Just invest in a Ruggard if you are concerned. They are super cheap in the big scheme of photography.

Feb 12, 2024 at 05:46 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

I use a UV sterilizer bag about 6x6x4. Handles a 70-200 f2,8.

Looking at this for bigger lenses

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1577673-REG/ruggard_gsuv_lg_portable_uv_sterilization_medical.html

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:10 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

A dry cabinet is always a good investment if concerned.

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:25 PM
aCuria
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

Humidity here is usually close to 100%, your location is not that humid haha.

Either way always use a dry cabinet.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Choderboy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

My Voigt 50 APO had fungus. I had it cleaned. Last week we had 2 days in a row when humidity was 99%.
I have mentioned before, humidity cabinets are not set and forget.
About 3 years ago I bought a new Wonderful (Legend) dry cabinet. The heater unit was DO A. In that case it resulted in the cabinet becoming a humidity cabinet. It made me wonder if a golden rod or similar was a better option.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:11 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

A Ziploc FREEZER bag with desiccant works well. Thicker than refrigerator bags, they stop moisture. Also much cheaper than a dry cabinet.

NO REFRIGERATOR BAGS. They allow moisture to pass through.

edit for type O

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:23 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

I read one time, can’t remember where, that fungus was much less likely to grow on newer lenses because the balsam-based glue in older lenses provided nutrition for the fungi. The newer glues are not digestible for fungi. I wonder if any of this is true…

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:32 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

RoamingScott wrote:
Just invest in a Ruggard if you are concerned. They are super cheap in the big scheme of photography.

It was your post about Ruggard cabinets that planted the seed of doubt in my head that led to this thread.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:34 PM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

smpetty wrote:
I read one time, can’t remember where, that fungus was much less likely to grow on newer lenses because the balsam-based glue in older lenses provided nutrition for the fungi. The newer glues are not digestible for fungi. I wonder if any of this is true…

Some years ago, I experienced fairly major fungus growth on my old Leica and Taukumar lenses (living in California at the time). I now never even think about fungus, so I expect that your information might have some merit.

Feb 13, 2024 at 05:52 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

And here I am to close the circle. Providence!

smpetty wrote:
It was your post about Ruggard cabinets that planted the seed of doubt in my head that led to this thread.

Feb 13, 2024 at 07:13 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is fungus still an issue for 'modern' lenses?

Granted I live in the high desert of AZ in the mountains. But we receive more humidity here than Phoenix, especially during summer monsoon season and winter with the snow and rain. Never had an issue with fungus on most of my lenses. I say most since I had a Tamron 70-180, version one, and it was the 3rd one of that lens that developed a fungus on the front lens element. And that was during our dry late summer early fall weather.

Feb 13, 2024 at 07:20 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.