New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Z 105 for portraits?

Jemini
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Z 105 for portraits?

How's the AF and VR of this lens on Z8? I know I'll be limited to camera VR. How's AF speed compared to say 50/1.8? I don't care about sharpness at that distance. Just AF and VR..

Thank you
Jemini

Feb 12, 2024 at 01:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Z 105 for portraits?

In the portrait range for focusing, the Z 105/2.8 is quite quick. It's not fast if you're going from macro to more distant, but anything from 0.5m to infinity focuses quite quickly. Not sure why you say you'll be limited to camera VR, since the Z 105 has VR in it, and I'm not aware of another Z mount 105mm lens. I get about 4 stops of stabilization on my Z8, which for me means generally I can get sharp shots at around 1/8s.

Optically, the lens is exceptional. Blisteringly sharp, with reasonably good bokeh. Essentially zero CA.

Feb 12, 2024 at 03:06 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Z 105 for portraits?

Jman13 wrote:
In the portrait range for focusing, the Z 105/2.8 is quite quick. It's not fast if you're going from macro to more distant, but anything from 0.5m to infinity focuses quite quickly. Not sure why you say you'll be limited to camera VR, since the Z 105 has VR in it, and I'm not aware of another Z mount 105mm lens. I get about 4 stops of stabilization on my Z8, which for me means generally I can get sharp shots at around 1/8s.

Optically, the lens is exceptional. Blisteringly sharp, with reasonably good bokeh. Essentially zero CA.

Thank you for the reply. My bad, I thought the lens didn't have VR.

I know the AF would be very slow in macro range. I'm trying to use it for both macro and portraits.

Feb 12, 2024 at 03:19 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Z 105 for portraits?

Jemini wrote:
Thank you for the reply. My bad, I thought the lens didn't have VR.

I know the AF would be very slow in macro range. I'm trying to use it for both macro and portraits.

It does a nice job for both. Overall, it's probably the best macro lens I've ever used, and I've used a lot. I really, really like mine.

Feb 12, 2024 at 03:30 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Z 105 for portraits?

It's a great lens for double duty (portrait / macro) as long as 105/2.8 is an acceptable portrait range for you. The look is a bit more clinical than one of the more purposeful portrait options in the 85mm or 135mm range as it's designed to be more optically perfect, but the obvious trade off is you also get one of the best macro lenses available. Nikon actually markets it as a dual purpose lens and this time around they've put more effort into also making it a good portrait lens.

As Jman mentioned, AF is snappy and VR is rated to 4.5 stops on a Z body. Nikon's VR ratings are done off the CIPA standard and are achievable in real-world scenarios.

Feb 12, 2024 at 03:46 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Z 105 for portraits?

Jman13 wrote:
It does a nice job for both. Overall, it's probably the best macro lens I've ever used, and I've used a lot. I really, really like mine.

I read some reviews and I know this is the best macro out there now. But portrait is important for me (may be more important). The bokeh will be better than 50/1.8 (based on the aperture value and FL). If it doesn't work I will get 85. But like to get one lens for both.

I know generally macro is not something we can get away with hand holding. How does the VR work for Macro? I'm not talking about extreme macros. But general closeup, may be 1:2 ratio at 1/25 sec? Is that doable?

Jemini

Feb 12, 2024 at 03:48 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Z 105 for portraits?

CanadaMark wrote:
It's a great lens for double duty (portrait / macro) as long as 105/2.8 is an acceptable portrait range for you. The look is a bit more clinical than one of the more purposeful portrait options in the 85mm or 135mm range as it's designed to be more optically perfect, but the obvious trade off is you also get one of the best macro lenses available. Nikon actually markets it as a dual purpose lens and this time around they've put more effort into also making it a good portrait lens.

As Jman mentioned, AF is snappy and VR is rated
...Show more

Got it. Thank you. I'm not a pro. Want to take some snaps of my daughter. AF speed is important as kids never stay still. I also have 28-75/2.8 which is great. I will trade 50/1.8 for 105 for the double duty..

Feb 12, 2024 at 04:16 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Z 105 for portraits?

Jemini wrote:
I read some reviews and I know this is the best macro out there now. But portrait is important for me (may be more important). The bokeh will be better than 50/1.8 (based on the aperture value and FL). If it doesn't work I will get 85. But like to get one lens for both.

I know generally macro is not something we can get away with hand holding. How does the VR work for Macro? I'm not talking about extreme macros. But general closeup, may be 1:2 ratio at 1/25 sec? Is that doable?

Jemini

In macro ranges, VR effectiveness decreases, at least, the shutter speeds you can achieve....but then again, I need faster shutter speeds unstabilized anyway. For handheld non-flash macro, I generally need 1/50s or faster, but everyone is different. I tend to either do macro tripod mounted, or with a macro flash attached (I use twin Godox MF-12 flashes on their flash mount ring, with a custom diffuser to soften the light further).

Feb 12, 2024 at 04:22 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Z 105 for portraits?

I knew it. Got little greedy

For serious macro work I'd need tripod. I also have the macro rail. It's again for a quick snapshot of smaller bugs.

Thank you

Jemini

Jman13 wrote:
In macro ranges, VR effectiveness decreases, at least, the shutter speeds you can achieve....but then again, I need faster shutter speeds unstabilized anyway. For handheld non-flash macro, I generally need 1/50s or faster, but everyone is different. I tend to either do macro tripod mounted, or with a macro flash attached (I use twin Godox MF-12 flashes on their flash mount ring, with a custom diffuser to soften the light further).

Feb 12, 2024 at 04:37 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Z 105 for portraits?

It's plenty fast even for candids. Only real problem with the 105 MC for portraits is that when it does seek, it takes a while to get back to portrait lengths. Fortunately, the Z8/Z9 rarely miss!

It's also very light, which is nice if you're used to beefy portrait lenses like the 105/1.4!

Feb 13, 2024 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jemini
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Z 105 for portraits?

Thank you. Now I'm looking for a good copy

CKrueger wrote:
It's plenty fast even for candids. Only real problem with the 105 MC for portraits is that when it does seek, it takes a while to get back to portrait lengths. Fortunately, the Z8/Z9 rarely miss!

It's also very light, which is nice if you're used to beefy portrait lenses like the 105/1.4!

Feb 13, 2024 at 06:59 PM
BowenC

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Z 105 for portraits?

It works ok. But it is too sharp, so you might need to give some negative value on the clearity in the lightroom. Also the out of focus is not very smooth. The OOF bilinearity is pretty heavy.

Feb 14, 2024 at 06:46 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Z 105 for portraits?

BowenC wrote:
It works ok. But it is too sharp, so you might need to give some negative value on the clearity in the lightroom. Also the out of focus is not very smooth. The OOF bilinearity is pretty heavy.

Interesting. Sharpness I'm aware of. Is the bokeh worse than other 105/2.8 lenses? I know it'll be slightly worse than 85/1.8 based on aperture calculations. 85/1.8 will be equal to 120/2.5. I remember seeing a comparison and they were pretty close.

Edit : Here's the video

Feb 14, 2024 at 06:54 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Z 105 for portraits?

Most lenses can be used to take nice portraits of some variety. I personally wouldn't buy the Z105 with portraits in mind but if you owned it for macro work then it can be used for a good portrait shot....just not as versatile as others out there in terms of its aperture. If macro is not the main use and a smaller, lighter portrait prime is the goal, then the 85mm f1.8S is a decent option and there are many great options for primes on the cheap if you don't mind an f-mount. If you don't mind the size and want versatility, a 70-200mm f2.8 will give you great portraits and the Z version will give you some good close ups (but not macro).

Feb 14, 2024 at 07:00 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Z 105 for portraits?

urbanwild wrote:
Most lenses can be used to take nice portraits of some variety. I personally wouldn't buy the Z105 with portraits in mind but if you owned it for macro work then it can be used for a good portrait shot....just not as versatile as others out there in terms of its aperture. If macro is not the main use and a smaller, lighter portrait prime is the goal, then the 85mm f1.8S is a decent option and there are many great options for primes on the cheap if you don't mind an f-mount. If you don't mind the size and
...Show more

Yes, macro is equal priority. I'm looking for a double duty lens. I know 85 is great. But I won't have any other use for that lens. 70-200 is too much for the purpose.

Feb 14, 2024 at 07:20 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Z 105 for portraits?

I'm sorry I don't have any portraits with the 105MC to share... I don't share family portraits online, and I make any excuse I can to use the 105/1.4, so my 105MC doesn't get portrait duty unless I'm messing around at home.

If it helps, I found the background blur to be pleasant on the 105MC, and transition areas aren't distracting. The lens IS very sharp, but it's easy enough to apply less sharpening, and I suspect a Pro Mist filter would take the edge off pretty nicely if you REALLY needed to tone the sharpening down.

There's also the fact that it's a spectacular macro lens. Sadly not compatible with a 1.4x TC, but perfect in every other way.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:11 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Z 105 for portraits?

A good portrait lens is the one in the hands of a good portrait photographer who knows its strengths and weaknesses. A 50mm can be a good portrait lens for an environmental portrait. A 105mm or a 135mm can be a good portrait lens for closeups or headshot portraits. It doesn't have to be the sharpest lens or the fastest or provide the absolute creamiest bokeh. If you look at portrait lenses by just the specifications and strengths, you've missed the boat! I think the 105mm f/2.8 MC can do fantastic work if the photographer knows what they are doing.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:58 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Z 105 for portraits?

Jemini wrote:
Yes, macro is equal priority. I'm looking for a double duty lens. I know 85 is great. But I won't have any other use for that lens. 70-200 is too much for the purpose.

Sorry, now re-reading your original post you were really only asking about VR and AF. Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:59 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Z 105 for portraits?

Understood. I had 50mm macro with Z5 in the past. That combo had lots of missed shots. Not sure if it was because of Z5 or lens. Anyway with Z8 and 50/1.8 (and 28-75) I don't have that issue anymore. I want a macro anyway. That's why I was looking for 105. Yes, it'll be used for headshots. 28-75 will cover wider angle. I was trying to make sure 105 won't have the problem I had with 50 macro. Also 50mm perspective is not great for headshots.

Looks like 105 is a great choice.

story_teller wrote:
A good portrait lens is the one in the hands of a good portrait photographer who knows its strengths and weaknesses. A 50mm can be a good portrait lens for an environmental portrait. A 105mm or a 135mm can be a good portrait lens for closeups or headshot portraits. It doesn't have to be the sharpest lens or the fastest or provide the absolute creamiest bokeh. If you look at portrait lenses by just the specifications and strengths, you've missed the boat! I think the 105mm f/2.8 MC can do fantastic work if the photographer knows what they are doing.
...Show more

Feb 15, 2024 at 06:30 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Z 105 for portraits?

Yes, thank you

urbanwild wrote:
Sorry, now re-reading your original post you were really only asking about VR and AF. Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

Feb 15, 2024 at 06:30 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.