Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

seattlebruin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

Has anyone switched to Fuji from Olympus M43? If so, what did you think about the relative size of the systems and quality of imagery?

I've been shooting Olympus Micro 4/3 for about 6 or 7 years and currently shoot an OM-1 with a decent chunk of the Pro series lenses. I've been thinking about switching systems though and leaning towards Fuji if I do switch because I'm looking for a higher resolution body.

I've loved my Olympus system because of the size and compactness, but I'd really like a higher resolution body for more cropping since I do a lot of aviation and can't really get closer in most scenarios. I really want to stay with a native APS-C or smaller system because my other main type of shooting is travel where size and compactness of the whole kit is heavily preferred.

I hadn't really considered Fuji until recently with the X-T5 having a much higher resolution sensor and the 150-600 looking like a great lens. I am not really considering Canon or Sony at this point, Canon because they have never really developed small and light lenses for APS-C and Sony because I'm not a huge fan of the rangefinder style of body.

Looking for any thoughts the community might have!

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:20 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

I compared the sizes a long time ago and concluded the jump from MFT to APS-c wasnít worth the increased size of the lenses. That was before Fuji got 40mp sensors, so I donít know how those compare against just having longer MFT glass.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:43 PM
seattlebruin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

Thanks! That's a good data point. Basically, I already have the 300 f/4 but I'm not super keen to spend $2700 on the new Sigma 150-600 or $6k+ on the 150-400

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:59 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

It really depends on what lenses you choose. Generally, Olympus is going to be smaller and lighter compared to Fuji. Some Fuji lenses are not significantly smaller than the "equivalent" (loaded term) full frame variety. I suggest looking carefully at the specific cameras and lenses you plan to switch over to and see how those compare to your existing setup.

The Fuji 150-600 isn't very heavy but it is long. Carrying it requires the same size holster as a Sony 200-600. To me there is a very distinct threshold crossed from the 100-400 size lenses which fit in typical size "medium" holster bags like the Kinesis C600. The 150-600 needs an "XL" size bag like the Kinesis C850. Depends on your height, but I can do semi-techical climbs (hands and feet but no ropes) with a 70-200/100-400 setup strapped on me. The 200-600 or Fuji 150-600 hit my legs when strapped in front on a chest harness. Doable, but it is something I notice.

I can fit my OM-1 + 300 f4 in the same holster as a 100-400/70-200. To be fair, you really need to compare that to the Fuji 100-400 which gives "equivalent" framing. That also fits and carries as easily as the OM + 300. The Fuji 150-600 is nearly identical in stature to the OM 150-400 f4.5 but not on the same level optically. I don't have the 150-400 myself, but I do have the OM 300 and Fuji 150-600 setups.

Feb 12, 2024 at 01:06 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

seattlebruin wrote:
Thanks! That's a good data point. Basically, I already have the 300 f/4 but I'm not super keen to spend $2700 on the new Sigma 150-600 or $6k+ on the 150-400

I wouldnít buy the 150-600 either. The 150-400 is a stellar lens but itís indeed pricey.

Apart from that, I suggest you rent the Fuji, because to me the ergonomics suck compared to the upper end Olympus gear.

Feb 12, 2024 at 01:19 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

Funny - for kayaking / hiking / lightweight shooting requiring reach I'm about to go the other way.

The X-T5 100-400 would be a solid aviation kit. Some of my favorite aviation shots are X-T30 / 100-400 and X-T5 will be much better.

Feb 12, 2024 at 02:03 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

johnvanr wrote:
I wouldnít buy the 150-600 either. The 150-400 is a stellar lens but itís indeed pricey.

Apart from that, I suggest you rent the Fuji, because to me the ergonomics suck compared to the upper end Olympus gear.

Same as with OM/Olympus, there are various ergonomic flavors of Fuji depending on which bodies and lenses you're working with. Fuji's variations are even more diverse when considering options like the X-Pro* and X-E* lines. Something akin to the apparently dormant Olympus PEN series.

I prefer the X-H* bodies to the X-T*. For larger lenses, long sessions of hand holding and use in colder weather wearing gloves, I find the bigger X-H* design suits me. The X-T* are awesome with a tiny prime attached for travel or street shooting. I just do not enjoy the vertically oriented shutter button and limited grip coupled with a big lens. The X-H2 compares nicely to the ergonomics of the OM-1. You're also getting a similar viewfinder. I don't understand why the X-T5 does not have a 5M dot EVF. It should.

Fuji default button assignments are not my preference. But you can easily customize the buttons to be more similar to OM. For example, I expect pressing the joystick to reset AF location to center. Fuji's default isn't that but you can change it.

Edited on Feb 12, 2024 at 04:55 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2024 at 02:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dblsplayer
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

Having used both systems quite a bit for outdoor photography, I much prefer the Olympus system. I didnít really see any difference in image quality and preferred the handling and weather protection the Olympus offers. For me, the only slight difference I see in image quality is with my full frame system; it is heavier though.

Feb 12, 2024 at 03:15 PM
Geoff D F
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

I use both systems but have recently gravitated much more heavily to Fuji. The main attraction to me are the Fuji film simulations and recipes, which have pretty much eliminated the need for any post processing for me. Also the Fuji primes can allow a bit shallower DoF. I also like the direct controls of the Fuji X-T5 more. The 40mp sensor allows a significant amount of cropping and still retains a lot of detail. I can throw away half the frame and images still look good on a 28inch 4k screen.

I also like the native 3x2 aspect ratio for landscape work.

The X-T5 also has very good tracking and subject detection, but I haven't compared it to the OM-1. My M4/3 system is stuck back at the EM1 Mk2.

The Fuji is also a bit cleaner at ISO 6400 and the noise has less colour to it. In terms of long lens choices it would seem Olympus is a bit ahead of Fuji.

Feb 12, 2024 at 04:57 PM
olegkin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

I use em1.3/om1 and gfx50s2, often together on the same shoot. I briefly tried x100v and xt4 in the past, but did not have a good luck with them and kept Olympus. Since none of fujifilm cameras are really pocketable, I don't really care about camera size, since I carry them in the same bag.
My understanding xt5 is smaller camera than om1, but lenses would be somewhat bigger and heavier. Speed performance, and feature set would be worse with xt5, so it is worth comparing them if it matters to you.

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:12 PM
kenbennett
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

I made that exact switch, but it was in 2013 and I wasn't super happy with the output from the m4/3 sensors at the time. So I switched to the brand new Fuji X system after trying out an X Pro 1 and the original three lenses at a conference. At the time I still shot Canon 1D mark IV bodies at work, so even the slightly larger Fuji bodies felt tiny in comparison. It didn't take long for me to start shooting all my work assignments with the Fuji system, and I've been all Fuji for almost ten years.

The X-T5 is my favorite Fuji camera so far (and yikes I think I've had almost all of them.) I also have a couple of X-H2s bodies that I still use at work. They work better for things that move, and feel better with the big zooms (plus you can add a vertical grip.)

The 40mp files from the X-T5 are very nice to work with.

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:50 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

jeffbuzz wrote:
Same as with OM/Olympus, there are various ergonomic flavors of Fuji depending on which bodies and lenses you're working with. Fuji's variations are even more diverse when considering options like the X-Pro* and X-E* lines. Something akin to the apparently dormant Olympus PEN series.

I prefer the X-H* bodies to the X-T*. For larger lenses, long sessions of hand holding and use in colder weather wearing gloves, I find the bigger X-H* design suits me. The X-T* are awesome with a tiny prime attached for travel or street shooting. I just do not enjoy the vertically oriented shutter button and limited
...Show more

True. I did forget about the X-H cameras and their different ergonomics.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:24 AM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

You'll definitely gain DR and reduce noise. And there's more resolution, for sure. But I think 26Mpixel is a better sweet spot for Fuji than 40Mpixel. There's more resolution at 40Mpixel, but it's not as big a difference as the numbers indicate, and you REALLY have to remind yourself that the images aren't the noisy mess they appear at 100%, because 100% at 40Mpixel is a HUGE print.

Feb 13, 2024 at 05:54 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice Requested - Possibly Switching to Fuji from M43 (Olympus)

I just remember getting a lot of resolution off the older 12mp m4/3 sensor. Prompted me to dive into the processor settings to get better sharpness on Canon aps

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.