Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Is the ancient 40d still worth shooting?

boldcolors

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Is the ancient 40d still worth shooting?

garyvot wrote:
Another fascinating experiment that may surprise some Canon shooters is the difference in in camera JPEGs when changing the default color space from sRGB to Adobe RGB.

Viewing such images side by side in a color managed application will show that the Adobe RGB image has significantly more vibrant and richer colors. Interestingly, this increase in vibrancy is preserved when you convert these JPEGs back into the sRGB color space on a PC.

This was a bit counterintuitive to me when I discovered it, as theoretically colors should be mapped pretty closely unless the color in the scene exceeds the SRGB
...Show more

Yeah, what's that about? I have noticed the same thing in DPP. Even if your entire workflow is set to sRGB (including your monitor) you still get a colorboost and slight contrast change when changing the colorspace in DPP to WideGamut. And when you bring it to Photoshop and then convert it to sRGB you get richer colors afterwards compared to a regular sRGB export from DPP->Photoshop. Puzzling.

I have never experienced it with JPEGs before though but it makes sense so I tested it. Well I'll be...Now I find it easier to convert my cameras to JPEG shooters. With Adobe RGB and some tweaks in the camera settings such as saturation, extra everything on the highlight priortiy sliders, some color tone and WB twists I get really good looking JPEGS. Something I only bothered with Fujifilm before.

Of course, they don't really look like the old school cameras but still very usuable JPEGS. More than expected.

Feb 26, 2024 at 02:04 AM
well69
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Is the ancient 40d still worth shooting?

I don't think anyone actually said I should get an RP on sale as a canon refurbished, but that's what I heard. Thank you for the advice. "The 40d is fine, and will continue to work just fine - but also, you aren't getting any younger and you want a full frame."
In hindsight, I know I shouldn't have asked. I already knew you would recommend buying whatever I could afford and enjoy it. That's why I like you.

Full frame, mirrorless, and a couple lenses for under a grand? I'm in.

Does anyone else have an RP who can tell me what settings I need to change first?

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.