FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

kakomu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

fsolis wrote:
I use one of the custom modes (C) to do this on my R3. Iíve also customized a button to change the shooting mode on the fly.

I do the same thing. Though, it kind of sucks when you forget that you're in crop mode. I have C3 as crop mode and it just mirrors what I have in C2 with crop mode swapped.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:55 PM
jpeter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

On the R5, Does crop mode alter the raw file number of pixels ?
For the 5DSR, the crop mode would give a raw that has a crop window, but all the pixels were still there. So you could revert back to full frame when editing. This made the CROP mode kind of pointless for me. No reduction in file size.

What are the advantages for using crop mode on the R5 ?

JP

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:55 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

jpeter wrote:

JP

Yes the files are smaller.
The only advantage is when the AF is struggling to lock on a small subject in the frame. By quickly going to crop mode it will reduce the amount of AF "distractions" and seems to lock much quicker.
This only comes in handy when you have the time and your subject, usually song birds in my case, hangs around for a few moments. Otherwise I rarely ever use crop mode as I've learned it's easier to just crop in post so long as the AF doesn't struggle.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:04 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

jpeter wrote:
For the 5DSR, the crop mode would give a raw that has a crop window, but all the pixels were still there. So you could revert back to full frame when editing. This made the CROP mode kind of pointless for me. No reduction in file size.

JP

IMO crop mode is more relevant when you need to deliver images straight out of camera and the receiving end either can't edit or doesn't know how to edit images effectively. For example, this could be a news deadline type situation. I have used it for youth sports on-site printing so that the kids nicely fill the images. Sure, they could be cropped from the full frame image with the same result, but lots of dead space and/or distractions looks less appealing to the average viewer not versed in post production options.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:12 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

lighthound wrote:
Yes the files are smaller.
The only advantage is when the AF is struggling to lock on a small subject in the frame. By quickly going to crop mode it will reduce the amount of AF "distractions" and seems to lock much quicker.
This only comes in handy when you have the time and your subject, usually song birds in my case, hangs around for a few moments. Otherwise I rarely ever use crop mode as I've learned it's easier to just crop in post so long as the AF doesn't struggle.

I may have to try it for birding. Thx
JP

Feb 17, 2024 at 08:20 AM
Derek
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

IndyFab wrote:
I want to thank everyone who responded. Much appreciated !!

Good to know that it may be possible on the R3, hopefully they will include this option with the up coming R5 II & R1

Curious if a future FW update would enable this action on the present R line.

I can tell you its available on the Sony A line.. Wonder if its also available on the Nikon Z line

It's not possible on an R3 either, it's still a custom button and turn the wheel,

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie52
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

I selected (programmed) the multifunction lock Botton to toggle between full and crop plus aspect ratios.

Mar 02, 2024 at 09:55 PM
justashooter
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

One push button to switch to 1.6x crop and back to full frame (without scrolling) is possible with the R3. In the Customize Button menu do not select the "Cropping/aspect ratio", select the "Switch between crop/aspect" setting and then select INFO "Detail Set" for sub-options. The "Switch between crop/aspect" is to the right of the "Cropping/aspect ratio" in the menu. Unfortunately not available on the R5, R6 or R6 Mark II.

Mar 10, 2024 at 07:21 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

IndyFab wrote:
I want to thank everyone who responded. Much appreciated !!

Good to know that it may be possible on the R3, hopefully they will include this option with the up coming R5 II & R1

Curious if a future FW update would enable this action on the present R line.

I can tell you its available on the Sony A line.. Wonder if its also available on the Nikon Z line

At least on the Z9 and Z8 you can set a button to just toggle back and forth between APS-C and FF without any wheel turning. I'm not sure about the other Z cameras. I think this was added in FW at some point as there is still the option to set a button to push and scroll like on Canon.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:52 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

arbitrage wrote:
At least on the Z9 and Z8 you can set a button to just toggle back and forth between APS-C and FF without any wheel turning. I'm not sure about the other Z cameras. I think this was added in FW at some point as there is still the option to set a button to push and scroll like on Canon.

Thanks Geoff, thats how it works on my A1, unfortunately its a 2 step with Canon. Good to know the Z8 & 9 is also a one press

Mar 11, 2024 at 01:48 PM
goalerjones
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

I believe it can be mapped to certain RF lenses, with the focus pre set button, but I just have to ride it when I'm changing distances on the fly. You get it memorized after awhile, but hopefully the R5M2 fixes this.

Mar 12, 2024 at 01:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.