New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

I have my Depth OF Field button set to achieve this goal, however I find it to be a 2 step process, when I press the DOF button it brings up Full Frame or Crop mode, whatever mode your in, and then it requires a second step to turn a wheel to change from one to the other

What I want is to use DOF as a toggle between Full Frame to Crop mode, press it once its Full Frame, Press it again its Crop Mode, Press it again, its back to Full Frame. Rather than a TWO step process

Can this be achieved ? If not the DOF button, perhaps you need to use a different button to achieve my goal. .

Thanks !!!

Feb 11, 2024 at 06:24 PM
Tim Kamppinen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Not possible unfortunately. I wish it was, as I use crop mode on my R5 a lot when shooting weddings.

Feb 11, 2024 at 08:25 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

I have several of these not button-able options in My Menu.

Feb 11, 2024 at 08:39 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

On my R6II I have it as one of the options that comes up when pressing the Q button. When viewing through the EVF and setting the Q options it to the crop function, whenever I press the Q button again, it's in the crop options and just have to turn the wheel to select 1.6x crop. No need to press another button to confirm. It's still not a single button press without any other input, but I find it's slightly faster than assigning to its own button.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:31 AM
justashooter
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

I wish it was a one button maneuver on the R5, 6 and 6II. I have the "Set" button to bring up the crop menu, then scroll with the wheel. I also don't have to confirm this, it's Set>Scroll>Shoot. I have been told that on the R3 you can have the crop toggle with one push of a button, no scroll needed. I've never witnessed this tho.

Feb 12, 2024 at 02:16 AM
fsolis

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

I use one of the custom modes (C) to do this on my R3. Iíve also customized a button to change the shooting mode on the fly.

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:39 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

I have mine set to one of my "C" Modes, & M-fn. button configured to toggle through "C" Modes.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:05 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Perhaps it is this way to prevent accidental activation.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:32 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

justashooter wrote:
I wish it was a one button maneuver on the R5, 6 and 6II. I have the "Set" button to bring up the crop menu, then scroll with the wheel. I also don't have to confirm this, it's Set>Scroll>Shoot. I have been told that on the R3 you can have the crop toggle with one push of a button, no scroll needed. I've never witnessed this tho.

I want to thank everyone who responded. Much appreciated !!

Good to know that it may be possible on the R3, hopefully they will include this option with the up coming R5 II & R1

Curious if a future FW update would enable this action on the present R line.

I can tell you its available on the Sony A line.. Wonder if its also available on the Nikon Z line

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:44 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Sy Sez wrote:
I have mine set to one of my "C" Modes, & M-fn. button configured to toggle through "C" Modes.

It's nice to see how others set up there camera.

For me all of my C modes are set up as an acronym PAL = Portrait, Action, Landscape, this way you never forget which each C represents. As for my M-fn, I use that to scroll through the AF methods. Toggle switch to move AF area around, click on it, and it brings it right back to the center.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

How are Portrait and Landscape defaults different for you?

I'm usually in AV, mechanical shutter with my R5 and have C1 set to TV, electronic shutter, i.e. general v action. Might set C2 to crop mode but haven't needed more than cropping in post so far.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:48 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

IndyFab wrote:
It's nice to see how others set up there camera.

For me all of my C modes are set up as an acronym PAL = Portrait, Action, Landscape, this way you never forget which each C represents. As for my M-fn, I use that to scroll through the AF methods. Toggle switch to move AF area around, click on it, and it brings it right back to the center.

Unfortunately, the M-fn. button is the only one that can be configured to toggle "C" modes (For me, M, C1, C2, C3).

I have the AF Point Selection button configured to toggle through AF Methods.

Originally, I had C-3 setup for landscapes, but since I'm primarily in M mode anyway, with landscape situations I usually have the time to setup the camera as needed, and since I always use Manual Focus for Landscapes, it's just a matter of F-stop, SP, and ISO adjustments.

All depends upon one's priorities.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:38 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

That is one thing I miss about the R5. Being able to toggle between C1-3 using a button. My biggest issue is while out birding and going between perched birds and BIF. M - C1-3 are only for big shutter speed changes. For landscape I use M mode.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:49 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Zenon Char wrote:
That is one thing I miss about the R5. Being able to toggle between C1-3 using a button. My biggest issue is while out birding and going between perched birds and BIF. M - C1-3 are only for big shutter speed changes. For landscape I use M mode.

An option for you is to set your Three Back Buttons as Perched birds, Zone and finally Eye with Tracking (Works Flawlessly)

As in this video

Edited on Feb 12, 2024 at 01:38 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2024 at 01:30 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Zenon Char wrote:

That is one thing I miss about the R5. Being able to toggle between C1-3 using a button.

Perhaps you can set up your M-fn. button to configured to toggle "C" modes (For me, M, C1, C2, C3). as Sy Sez mentioned

Feb 12, 2024 at 01:37 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

IndyFab wrote:
That is one thing I miss about the R5. Being able to toggle between C1-3 using a button.

Perhaps you can set up your M-fn. button to configured to toggle "C" modes (For me, M, C1, C2, C3). as Sy Sez mentioned

Canít be done on the R7 or R6II.

Feb 12, 2024 at 03:27 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Jeff Nolten wrote:
How are Portrait and Landscape defaults different for you?

I'm usually in AV, mechanical shutter with my R5 and have C1 set to TV, electronic shutter, i.e. general v action. Might set C2 to crop mode but haven't needed more than cropping in post so far.

In my case since I do not shoot portraits often, my C1 P (portrait) is for general landscapes, but my C3 L (landscapes) is set up to shoot bracket shots when the light is harsh (think sunrise/sunset) I use my M for my casual shooting, adjusting on the fly for what ever the situation calls for...even perhaps portraits. I just use the PAL acronym because its easy to remember.

For C1 P (portrait, actually normal landscape) I am in M, (adjust AV & TV as needed) EFCS and base ISO, that I can adjust accordingly, and a 2 sec release of shutter No need to worry about EFCS (less shutter shock) as you are in relativity slow shutter speeds.
For the C2 A (action) I am in M, ES, auto ISO, Servo and a set SS, that I can change on the fly if needed. and high frames per second. All 3 back buttons set for different AF scenarios.

For C3 L (Bracket Landscape) everything in C1 except set up to bracket

I've been using this system for a long time, so its easy for me to remember.

We are all different, I say what ever works for you !!

Feb 12, 2024 at 04:01 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Zenon Char wrote:

Gotcha !!!

Feb 12, 2024 at 04:10 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

Gotcha !!!

Far less needed on Camera's with a Program Dial on top, as opposed to the R5 where Programs have to be accessed via a Menu.

Feb 13, 2024 at 08:30 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Set a button on R5 to toggle from Full Frame to Crop Mode

IndyFab wrote:
In my case ...

Thanks. Always interesting to see how others configure their cameras - especially with the mirrorless. I'm still learning and each trip is cause for reevaluation.

I have My Menu set up for HDR Mode, Focus Bracketing, Subject to detect. Shutter Mode, and Anti-Flicer shoot. Those unbutton-able or more casual setting options. It is really only the first two that I access very often.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.