New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

This gem is hidden in the woods of Mt St Marys College in Emmitsburg,MD.
Mt St Marys was once a powerhouse in college basketball. A team that could play with the "big boys" and beat them thoroughly!
Division 1 or Division 2!

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:30 AM
jon.oman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

Nice set of images Dan! I especially like the first and third. And, I just noticed some color creeping into that last one! How did I miss that?

Feb 11, 2024 at 06:54 PM
bnfotografie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

Great work, Dan. I really like the small cabin with the intricate detail in the distant background. Tones are fantastic in all of them.
Cheers,
Brent

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:54 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

Jon has my picks too, Dan. Wasn't there a movie about this team?
Douglas

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

jon.oman wrote:
Nice set of images Dan! I especially like the first and third. And, I just noticed some color creeping into that last one! How did I miss that?

Thank you jon!
Sometimes I like to use selective coloring if the image warrants it. I thought this did. The grotto itself is just stones. Some were brought from the Our Lady of Lourdes grotto in France in the 1800's. There are votive candles that are reflecting off the moss covered "cave" they sit it. I wanted to show that.
The altar was blue granite and was giving off a nice glow. The large votive candles to our right gave off a nice glow also!

The chapel is beautiful but very small! The windows are stained glass and extremely vibrant! The walkway up to the chapel and grotto is very long and had a nice bit of snow on it!

The cabin was built for an Irish immigrant who worked his way through the college and became an Archbishop of Baltimore.
Thanks!
Dan

Here are the votive candles inside the "cave".

Edited on Feb 12, 2024 at 11:55 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:46 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

bnfotografie wrote:
Great work, Dan. I really like the small cabin with the intricate detail in the distant background. Tones are fantastic in all of them.
Cheers,
Brent

Thank you brother!
This cabin, located on the grounds of Mount Saint Mary's University in Emmitsburg, MD, is most famous for being home, in the early 1820s, to young John Hughes, a recent immigrant from Ireland who worked his way through school as a gardener, tutor, and prefect, and who went on to become the first Archbishop of the Archdiocese of New York, in 1850. His many accomplishments included founding four colleges and beginning the construction of St. Patrick.
It is pretty high up and you look out onto the Catoctin Valley towards the East. The suns rays were radiating through the clouds and the light snow glissend.
It was a fluffy snow and I tried to get some separation on it so it didn't look like a "carpet".

It is a very intimate setting!
Thanks for the kind comments!
Dan

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:02 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto and Chapel

douter wrote:
Jon has my picks too, Dan. Wasn't there a movie about this team?
Douglas

I am not sure about the team but the legendary coach, Jim Phelan, had a movie done about him. He won a Division 1 National Championship while there. A great legend!
Thanks Douglas!
Dan

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.