Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need sola...

  
 
eyal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


Starting to plan out a landscape photograph to included the solar eclipse on April 8. I am going to be located near Boston with the NASA map showing us to be at 92%. While I could drive to witness totality, I would prefer to capture a landscape shot in my town and accept the partial eclipse.

I mapped out the location of the sun at that hour and have a composition in mind that I last captured in 2015 on a Canon 50D with EF 600mm and 1.4x teleconverter lens (1344mm equivalent if math is right). I will shoot this one with a Sony a1 and could rent the Sony 600/4 and a 2x converter to get close to the same field of view.

I'm not sure if I will need a solar filter for this capture and, if so, do I end up bracketing the shot?

If I do need a solar filter, would I simply purchase on of the 4" x 4" ones and hold it in front of the lens? I have a Lee filter kit but haven't used it in forever and not sure if that would be a better approach.

Thanks!



Feb 11, 2024 at 09:47 AM
guitardirky
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


From what I remember during the last one that came through the states, you need a solar filter to photograph except during the 2 mins of totality.


Feb 11, 2024 at 10:18 AM
AZHeaven
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


I wasn't able to make it to totality during the "Ring of Fire" eclipse in October. Thanks to the wife and I getting Covid 2 days before. On that note, I had bought a proper solar filter from Thousand Oaks and took photos from my backyard where we had 95% coverage. The sun is strong as you know, even when partially eclipsed. I definitely would buy and use the solar filter. One mistake could not only mess up your camera but also in an instant blind you.


Feb 12, 2024 at 07:41 AM
eyal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


Thank you both. In looking at images from past eclipses, I think any foreground element will have to be a silhouette. Thankfully both building I had in mind will make for nice silhouettes.

Ordering the filter...



Feb 12, 2024 at 07:53 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


There is no danger to our vision when shooting through an EVF as OP plans to.

AZHeaven wrote:
I wasn't able to make it to totality during the "Ring of Fire" eclipse in October. Thanks to the wife and I getting Covid 2 days before. On that note, I had bought a proper solar filter from Thousand Oaks and took photos from my backyard where we had 95% coverage. The sun is strong as you know, even when partially eclipsed. I definitely would buy and use the solar filter. One mistake could not only mess up your camera but also in an instant blind you.




Feb 12, 2024 at 08:27 AM
GHarris
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


Yes, you'll need a filter. And various kinds are available. You should get one that goes over the front of your objective, not any kind of rear filter.

You can buy stuff like "Baader solar film", cut it to size and make your own cardboard frame to attach it to, to slide over the front of your lens, quite inexpensively - filters don't have to be expensive solid glass plates with precision-machined metal frames or any such.

It just needs to not have any holes in it, not get torn open, and stay reasonably reliably on the front of your lens. Doesn't have to be pretty, and you can tape the outer frame of it to your lens if needed.

And you can test whether you like the image character you get from your filter on any normal sunny day - whether there are any contrast problems, or colour casts, etc. - well in advance of the irreplaceable day itself.



Feb 12, 2024 at 11:39 AM
eyal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


Great advice - thanks!


Feb 12, 2024 at 11:52 AM
schlotz
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


Here in Indy we'll have 100%. I'm planning on using the Sony A1 + 200-600G. Haven't decided on with tc yet. I did just receive this filter from Amazon


Feb 12, 2024 at 04:35 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


I am predicting rain with possible blizzard for this one.


Feb 12, 2024 at 10:42 PM
GHarris
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


You're wise, by the way, to be planning and preparing for the eclipse now - well in advance. As the day approaches, everything of use will be sold out / overpriced.


Feb 13, 2024 at 05:44 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

AZHeaven
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


RoamingScott wrote:
There is no danger to our vision when shooting through an EVF as OP plans to.



Normally? Yes. But we are talking about the sun here. Even with my 95% eclipsed sun in Oct of last year that 5% of the sun was blinding. Why take a chance on something you could loose forever? In less than time then ones brain can comprehend it's over. Telling people there is no danger when it comes to observing the sun is not good advice.

I wouldn't look at the sun through my EVF anyway when photographing it. I used the rear screen AND had eclipse glasses on.



Feb 13, 2024 at 07:02 AM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


100% white pixels cannot hurt you. The sun does not magically make the EVF display brighter than it ever would otherwise. Of course if youíre using an OVF thatís a different story.

AZHeaven wrote:
Normally? Yes. But we are talking about the sun here. Even with my 95% eclipsed sun in Oct of last year that 5% of the sun was blinding. Why take a chance on something you could loose forever? In less than time then ones brain can comprehend it's over. Telling people there is no danger when it comes to observing the sun is not good advice.

I wouldn't look at the sun through my EVF anyway when photographing it. I used the rear screen AND had eclipse glasses on.




Feb 13, 2024 at 07:12 AM
eyal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


I cannot find the size of the front element of the Sony 600/4 anywhere as it seems to use a rear drop in filter.

Is a 4"x4" solar filter sheet large enough to hold in front?



Feb 13, 2024 at 08:01 AM
Daran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


eyal wrote:
I cannot find the size of the front element of the Sony 600/4 anywhere as it seems to use a rear drop in filter.

Is a 4"x4" solar filter sheet large enough to hold in front?


No. The front element itself is more than 150mm (6"), the outer diameter of the light shade is 180mm (7.1"). So an 8"x8" is your friend.



Feb 13, 2024 at 09:52 AM
Uncle Chip
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


If you want some detail in the foreground then take a second shot covering the sun with something, I use a piece of card, then you can blend/paint the bace layer in photoshop


Feb 13, 2024 at 10:00 AM
xterra07
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?







2017-08-21 in Idaho

Yes bracket.
Holding any filter will get old soon. Any kind of temporary holder with blue masking tape would help but it's near totality that interesting photos happen, when you don't need a filter, it would do the opposite of helping.
Your exposure will tell you if you need a filter, don't look through the viewfinder and use the display instead.



Feb 13, 2024 at 12:09 PM
mdees88
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


eyal wrote:
Starting to plan out a landscape photograph to included the solar eclipse on April 8. I am going to be located near Boston with the NASA map showing us to be at 92%. While I could drive to witness totality, I would prefer to capture a landscape shot in my town and accept the partial eclipse.

I mapped out the location of the sun at that hour and have a composition in mind that I last captured in 2015 on a Canon 50D with EF 600mm and 1.4x teleconverter lens (1344mm equivalent if math is right). I will shoot this one
...Show more

I'm not sure of your situation, but I HIGHLY recommend getting in the path of totality for this Eclipse, especially since you are not "that" far away.

The first eclipse I witnessed was the 2017 eclipse. It was less than a 6hr drive to totality but I decided to stay at home. I got some images of the partial eclipse but I have regretted not driving to see totality ever since.

Last Oct I drove ~11hr to see and photograph the annular eclipse. It was a great experience but from everything I've heard and read, it is in no way comparable to witnessing totality. I used that eclipse as a practice run for this one.

I will driving ~9hr for the April 8th eclipse. I'm going to take my parents to see it. They are in their mid 70's and the next eclipse in the continental US will be another 20 years away so this will likely be their last.

Perhaps you have seen one before, I do not know. I just know I regretted not seeing the last one so I just wanted to offer my $.02.

As far as a solar filter, you will definitely need one. I recommend buying some baader astrosolar PHOTO film OD 3.8 and making a simple DIY filter with it out of Poster board. This PHOTO film is different from the baader astrosolar SAFETY film OD 5.0 that is typically recommended. The PHOTO film blocks less light and allows for much faster shutter speeds. This helps in eliminate motion blur from wind and some atmospheric distortions. It is not viewing safe, so keep that in mind when using it. It comes in an 8x12" sheet so you could easily make two filters for the 600mm F4 or 1 for it and two filters for smaller lenses.

I used the Baader PHOTO film during the Oct eclipse and I was able to shoot the entire eclipse handheld and get very sharp images. My exposure with it was 1/5000-1/6400s F10 ISO 100. I had a thousand oaks optical "full aperture" solarlite polymer filter on my primary camera but it blocked too much light in my opinion. My exposures with it were 1/10-1/50s F10 ISO 640. It worked but that's pathetically slow considering how bright the sun is. Here is a link to the Baader PHOTO film.

https://telescopes.net/baader-astrosolar-photo-film-od-3-8-photographic-only-baa-asolp-s.html

This is what my filter looked like. I just used duct tape and a piece of poster paper.













Feb 21, 2024 at 09:29 PM
amv8
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


RoamingScott wrote:
100% white pixels cannot hurt you. The sun does not magically make the EVF display brighter than it ever would otherwise. Of course if youíre using an OVF thatís a different story.



Correct, white pixels on the EVF won't hurt your vision, but shooting without a solar filter can damage your lens and sensor per Lensrentals experience with damaged equipment used in the 2017 eclipse.



Feb 26, 2024 at 05:25 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Capturing partial eclipse at 1200mm with foreground elements - need solar filter?


amv8 wrote:
Correct, white pixels on the EVF won't hurt your vision, but shooting without a solar filter can damage your lens and sensor per Lensrentals experience with damaged equipment used in the 2017 eclipse.


I don't disagree with that. I was making a very specific point.



Feb 26, 2024 at 05:42 PM







FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.