New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Lutefisker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

While shooting a race during cold weather, I lost both autofocus and shutter release after about 45 minutes. Attempting to warm the camera by periodically holding it under my jacket did not seem help. Any suggestions for keeping it warm enough to operate in these conditions?

Feb 11, 2024 at 01:05 AM
Uarctos
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Should work without issues, even entry level cameras can handle that. Maybe the issue is not the cold.

Feb 11, 2024 at 02:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Keep spare batteries in a warm, inside pocket, and change them frequently.

For sustained shooting in cold temps, I use a Tether Tools Case Relay system, which lets you power a dummy battery in the camera, from a USB battery bank in your pocket (via wire). It also lets you plug into 10 VAC or swap USB batteries with no power drop.

Feb 11, 2024 at 05:56 AM
Bob49
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

15 degrees F should be no problem. I've used the R3 in sustained events (2 hours without breaks) at that temperature and below, most recently for three days in a row at about zero and below. One day was minus 4 and lower for two 90-minute sessions. The R3 worked fine. About 8400 frames a day, and changing battery only once a day. The camera went inside for maybe 30 minutes, to warm up operator, not the R3 (which stayed wrapped in vapor barrier in a cold back pack).

There were sometimes two problems that were operator issues: fingers too cold (even with chemical packs in gloves) to find and operate shutter button consistently, and too cold to hold camera body so that fingers would not sometimes accidentally hit back AF buttons and throw off focus. But the camera itself worked fine. (For the first problem, I'm going to pad the shutter button to make it easier to find and press. For second, thinking about a grip strap to hold R3 body more securely, and maybe disabling or reassigning back buttons in those conditions.)

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:48 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Lutefisker wrote:
While shooting a race during cold weather, I lost both autofocus and shutter release after about 45 minutes. Attempting to warm the camera by periodically holding it under my jacket did not seem help. Any suggestions for keeping it warm enough to operate in these conditions?

You are assuming cold weather was the cause when it probably was not. Many photographers have shot in both the Arctic and Antarctic in colder temperatures with the R3 and R5 with no such problem.

Try disabling GPS and Google R3 freeze-ups.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:05 AM
misteracng

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

It does seem odd the R3 quit after 45min due to cold. Definitely search for some other issues.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:27 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

15f is -8c. Not particularly cold. I have used r8 and r5 to minus-38c for hours without any warming or insulation. The batteries have functioned well and no issues. Either you have issue with your specific camera or some other issue. I suspect old diminished battery. Check the battery in battery menu for health, and try another battery.

Edited on Feb 12, 2024 at 09:02 AM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:56 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

I had a R6 Mk II and slung it over the shoulder during a winter walk in 10-15F weather - it wouldn't work after a while. I no longer own that camera.

Feb 11, 2024 at 01:19 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

patotts wrote:
I had a R6 Mk II and slung it over the shoulder during a winter walk in 10-15F weather - it wouldn't work after a while. I no longer own that camera.

Wow, definitive proof.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:15 AM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

From the Canon R3 Specifications:

Operating Environment
Working Temperature
Range 32104F / 0+40C

Looks like you need a warming system to meet the official operating specs. I ruined a 40D many years ago operating it in 25 F weather.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

It's really weird this camera wasn't certified to work in temperatures below 32F. Seems like there would be a lot of potential users would want to use this in sub-freezing temperatures.

Feb 12, 2024 at 01:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Ray Swindle wrote:

Operating Environment
Working Temperature
Range 32104F / 0+40C

Looks like you need a warming system to meet the official operating specs. I ruined a 40D many years ago operating it in 25 F weather.

---------------------------------------------

deepbluejh wrote:
It's really weird this camera wasn't certified to work in temperatures below 32F. Seems like there would be a lot of potential users would want to use this in sub-freezing temperatures.

I just looked up my 1DXII manual and it's basically the same thing. Same lower end range - freezing point - but a little higher, up to 113˚F/45˚C. I think it's just Canon being conservative to avoid liability if/when someone uses their camera in below-freezing conditions and experiences a failure.

FWIW, R6II manual states the same range as the R3.

Edited on Feb 12, 2024 at 07:31 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:30 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Agree, this is unusual. Was there an error message, did it turn on at all, any other information you could provide?

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:31 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Ray Swindle wrote:

Operating Environment
Working Temperature
Range 32104F / 0+40C

How can you "ruin" a camera by operating it in mild fall/winter/spring weather?

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:26 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

molson wrote:
How can you "ruin" a camera by operating it in mild fall/winter/spring weather?

Here is the Canon International Hotline: + 757-222-9050

I am a user, not a camera engineer. All I know is my extended coverage warranty saved me over $600.00 (USD) for the repair cost. I am sure Canon will give you the information you are seeking.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:00 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Ray Swindle wrote:
Here is the Canon International Hotline: + 757-222-9050

I am a user, not a camera engineer. All I know is my extended coverage warranty saved me over $600.00 (USD) for the repair cost. I am sure Canon will give you the information you are seeking.

If that was true, Canon could never sell cameras in Canada or Alaska or Scandinavia.

Obviously something happened to your camera that was unrelated to the temperature. I've used Canon DSLRs in temperatures down to -30C (-22F) for extended periods with no issues other than short battery life.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:34 PM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

There were no error messages and the camera never completely shut down.

The red light on the back of the camera did not shut off after a short burst on two occasions.

The battery appears to be fine.

This is the second time this has happened. The first time was a week or two previous at a cold soccer game (temp probably dropped to about 20-25 F.) but it only lasted for a short period of time. In between the two times it froze, I shot many hours of indoor sports with no problem.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:35 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

I just called CPS and asked them the risks of operating the camera in temps below 32. He told me the LCD might become sluggish or erratic, but the camera should be fine. I told him I used a Think Tank around the camera and he said it is a good idea because it will help the camera retain its warmth. He didn't mention autofocus or shutter release issues as a result of use in cold weather. He did recommend a cover or bag for the camera. He also said his remarks did not apply if there was a lot of wet weather involved. He emphasized "weather resistant" vs "weather proof".

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:35 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Lutefisker wrote:

The red light on the back of the camera did not shut off after a short burst on two occasions.

This is the second time this has happened. The first time was a week or two previous at a cold soccer game (temp probably dropped to about 20-25 F.) but it only lasted for a short period of time. In between the two times it froze, I shot many hours of indoor sports with no problem.

I actually had trouble in 21-23 this winter, but I left the camera in the car all day. 45 min probably not caused much trouble. And it's an older heavily used body, R3's can get used a lot but they're still pretty recent

My old BP-511's seem to have issues above freezing even but there again the R3 battery is probably a lot newer. I suppose it could be seen heavy use , skeptical that's the problem, though.

Red light not gping off sounds more like a card problem

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:21 AM
randomguy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon R3 quits in cold (15 F)

Lutefisker wrote:

I am not a Canon shooter but doesn't this sound like a memory card problem? Camera hangs because it fails to write to the card.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.