New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

How happy are you with your Q3?

sonamair
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How happy are you with your Q3?

If coming from a Q2 share your honest comparisons in every way possible please.
I had the Q2 for a short while.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:23 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How happy are you with your Q3?

Yes-

The charging port with USB-C for charging makes life easy when traveling-
The Better Eye AF makes it nice when you want a quick picture or hand to a friend
The Leica Looks are a nice feature to play with when you just want to shoot and not edit- or have some different results in camera
The file transfer speed wirelessly is incredible- Raw files in a second or two- Crazy how good the app is with the Q3
IQ is great-
The Flip screen comes in handy

I think that is a pretty good list-

Honestly though- The USB-C is the biggest for me. I hated the Q2 for that-

For me it was well worth the upgrade cost- It fixed all the things I didn't like about the Q2

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:29 PM
sonamair
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How happy are you with your Q3?

Thanks Rusty
I am thinking seriously about this camera for Street photography and family gatherings.
I am all in with Nikon
Just sold off all my Fuji GF II stuff I bought that was amazing but having that and my comprehensive Nikon gear made no sense and I can’t sell my Nikon gear… bird photography
I payed off my dept and have enough for this Q3
So debating…

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How happy are you with your Q3?

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica-q3

Can be helpful.

Feb 10, 2024 at 05:58 PM
sonamair
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How happy are you with your Q3?

That’s a thought
But I am close to just buying and because I am on call most days will need a lot longer then a week to find out if this was a good purchase
So hoping for as much input here as possible.

Feb 12, 2024 at 05:58 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How happy are you with your Q3?

My other problem with rentals before buying is that just about any camera is fun for 1-2 weeks.
I think I have purchased just about every camera I have rented, barring the GH4 many moons ago.

Lenses & accessories however I frequently (actually majority of time) rent without buying, which is interesting I suppose.

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:14 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How happy are you with your Q3?

The Q3 can't be my main camera because 26-28mm just isn't my main focal length. Having said that, K LOVES her Q3 and I'm occasionally allowed to borrow it. It's a big step from my Q2 and Q2M. If they made it in a 45-50mm I'd be all over it.

If you can live with 28mm or you don't need the pixels and can crop the Q3 is an absolute hoot to shoot with. A sports camera, it ain't but for travel and a daily carry it's a joy.

Gordon

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

serhan_
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How happy are you with your Q3?

- AF improvement is real eg Q3 af has no problem with focusing in dark as I was at an art show with changing lights vs Q2 missed af even in daylight in a few instances.
- Q2 high ISO/dynamic range is comparable to apsc unless you are at iso 50 vs you get FF comparable sensor dynamic range/high iso with Q3. However readout speed might be slower with q3 for video, but it doesn't matter for photos with silent leaf shutter.
- Flip screen is good to have.

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:54 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How happy are you with your Q3?

Agreed a 2nd Q variant with a 40/2.x would be a killer
Could see owning one of each in that scenario

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:00 AM
patotts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How happy are you with your Q3?

I've discussed this with several other photographer friends. Leica will never do a Q with a 35mm lens, it somehow would eat into their bread and butter, but a 40mm lens would be special. Release a Q3 Mk II with a 40/1.7 or 1.8, make it a true 40mm, and you can take my money any day of the week.

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:31 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How happy are you with your Q3?

Yes, 40mm is an in-between focal length they could feel isn't competing with M for sales

I think the mentality Leica seems to have of not wanting cross competition is kind of dumb as the SL/Q have wider total markets than the M ever has/will. People buy Ms because they want that unique product experience, it's hard to satisfy someone who wants an M with anything else.

I don't think they really publish sales volumes publicly by product line, but I'd wager the Q line far outsells the M line. You can infer some relative numbers with proxies like user reviews-

At B&H in NY for example the Q2 has 134 user reviews / 95 questions / 182 answers.
M10 had 28 R / 21 Q / 50 A despite being release before the Q2.
M10-R had 17 R / 20 Q / 31 A.
Q3 already has 21 R / 32 Q / 62 A.
M11 has a paltry 27 R / 27 Q / 53 A despite being out longer than the Q3.

So they move a lot of the Q line products, people are generally pretty happy with them and lots of upgraders swap up.

Feb 12, 2024 at 09:27 AM
saxguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How happy are you with your Q3?

I had the Q2 and then the Q3. For me the biggest advantage of the Q3 was the low light performance. The Q2 struggled with noise at 3200 and above. The newer AI noise reduction modules can probably fix this, but I found the Q3's files looked much better in low light.

That being said, I just sold it. I have a SL2-S which is far better in low light and my comfort zone is 40-50mm for 90-95% of what I shoot. So my Nokton 40 1.2 and APO Summicron-SL 50 (or my Summilux-SL if I work out that week) is pretty much my carry of choice. 28mm is too wide for most of what I do (I may pick up a small manual focus 28mm lens for when I need a wide option). If Leica does, in fact, release a 40-50mm Q bodied camera I would grab that one.

Feb 13, 2024 at 09:32 AM
Blufox
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How happy are you with your Q3?

saxguy wrote:
I had the Q2 and then the Q3. For me the biggest advantage of the Q3 was the low light performance. The Q2 struggled with noise at 3200 and above.

May I ask in your time with the Q3 what ISO it began to struggle with noise? I had a Q2 but was disappointed with how easy noise appeared. I currently shoot with a Q2M but have a Q3 on pre-order. Just wondering how much better it handles higher ISO.

Feb 13, 2024 at 05:22 PM
Shootsleica

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How happy are you with your Q3?

Someone earlier mention file transfer… its next level no need for me to take card out for transfers. Q3 can easily shoot 6400 and clean up any noise in Lightroom haven’t push 12500 in low light but I’m sure you could get something usable. Focus is better but not Sony better. But the images and color are very good, reds are so good. A worthy upgrade.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:06 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.