New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Backpack recommendations for GFX

Beauregard1910

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

I'm looking for the smallest backpack I can find that'll hold the GFX 100s, 32-64, 20-35, and 110 lenses.

Feb 09, 2024 at 09:13 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

I don't think any of them are great for the GFX because the lenses are to wide to easily fit in the divider grid. They will fit, but it's a squeeze.

Not sure what the smallest would be. It partially depends on how easy you want access to the gear is... and whether you want to carry anything else at all.

A lot of the dedicated bags that have a good (decent) harness on them are much larger than the absolute minimum needed to fit the gear you mention, so it will come down to what you are trying to accomplish with the bag.

I use a Shimoda X30 fo my GFX kit and it will easily fit what you have. I don't have the 110mm, but I do have the 100-200mm.

They now make a smaller one called the X25, but I don't know if it will fit the slightly larger inserts that may be needed for the GFX, so you'd need to look at that to make sure it isn't too shallow to fit the gear comfortably.

One option is to go with just an insert from Shimode or fStop or others and then find a bag that meets your needs otherwise. To go super small, that will likely be the best approach.

Feb 09, 2024 at 12:53 PM
SGinNorcal
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

I have the F-stop ICU Slope Medium insert and it fits my Gfx50 and 32-64 just fine. I believe there is enough space for the lenses you mention (nice kit BTW). The Fstop dividers can be adjusted sideways if needed but based on the 32-64, I don't think you would need too.

Feb 09, 2024 at 03:06 PM
Beauregard1910

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

Thanks. I was looking at the Shimado Explore V2 30 and wondering if my stuff would fit. Which core unit do you use?

Feb 09, 2024 at 03:15 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

I have a Large Core Unit - DSLR for the Shimoda X30. It will be larger than you need for what you have, but I'm not sure you will quite have enough room in the bag if you go to the medium. One of the problems that I found is the dividers they have aren't ideal and the ones in the large insert really aren't great for the GFX, but the ones in the medium version are better suited.

You'll have to see what I mean by looking carefully at the divider arrangement of the L and M inserts:

Medium:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1525379-REG/shimoda_designs_520_214_core_unit_medium_dslr.html

Large:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1525380-REG/shimoda_designs_520_215_core_unit_large_dslr.html

The medium version doesn't divide the space into thirds. It has slightly larger dividers to it, but it sacrifices that third row into a mini row (which is good for filters and other small things).

What I did was get the L and the M and then use the inserts from both to build my dividers. It's a really expensive approach but since Shimoda hasn't made the inserts available on their own, that's what I needed to do.

I think you could probably get away with just the medium because the 110mm is smaller than the 100-200mm. If you look at the specifications of the inserts, the mirrorless inserts are 4.7" deep (internal) and the DSLR inserts are 6.3" deep, so the difference means you can probably arrange the 20-35 and the 110 facing out in there rather than laying on their side. That would probably make it work in the medium DSLR insert. You'd probably have to reverse the hood.

It might be possible to squeeze it all in the mirrorless insert, but I think it will be a little too tight depth wise. Maybe not though... it's tough to determine until you actually throw it all in there and try it.

If you intend to carry a tripod on the pack, you don't really want it to be too small because the tripod will manhandle the bag. I think the x30 is great with a decent sized tripod mounted on it, and as you go smaller (shorter) in a bag, the tripod will be sticking out more on the top/bottom and it might get unruly, so I'm not sure I'd go much smaller than the X30.

Lastly, the X25 is smaller, and less deep, so it will certainly be more compact feeling. I think it only accommodates the mirrorless inserts, though, so it's really on the cusp of being able to fit in there and may be worth the try, especially if you are wanting to be super compact. If you do the calculations and feel it would work for you, I'd be thinking about getting the bag from a source you can return it to if it turns out to be a little too tight. If you can do that, the X25 and the medium mirrorless insert may be the most compact you can do in the product line.

Feb 09, 2024 at 06:34 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

I have a Mindshift Photocross 15 Backpack that easily fits that kit:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1469083-REG/mindshift_gear_520424_photocross_15_backpack_carbon.html

The biggest kit Iíve fit is a Z9, 500PF, 100-400, 24-70/2.8, and some accessories (X100V or a flash or a filter pack). I can also fit a Peak tripod and a soft water bottle and snacks. The GFX kit you mention would be an easy fit, probably with hoods all in shooting position. You should have enough room for a large filter case, too.

The bag is light and can easily sling to one side to swap lenses, even when carrying a tripod. Its only real downsides are that if youíre carrying small lenses, they can rattle around, and that the main compartmentís zipper shape is a bit odd, and takes some practice to learn to open in one smooth motion.

I wouldnít turn you away from a Shimoda backpack, either, but if you want a lightweight backpack, it doesnít get much lighter than this. Itís just a big lightweight cavity with dividers.

Feb 09, 2024 at 07:23 PM
Beauregard1910

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

mjm6 wrote:
I have a Large Core Unit - DSLR for the Shimoda X30. It will be larger than you need for what you have, but I'm not sure you will quite have enough room in the bag if you go to the medium. One of the problems that I found is the dividers they have aren't ideal and the ones in the large insert really aren't great for the GFX, but the ones in the medium version are better suited.

You'll have to see what I mean by looking carefully at the divider arrangement of the L and M inserts:

Medium:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1525379-REG/shimoda_designs_520_214_core_unit_medium_dslr.html

Large:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1525380-REG/shimoda_designs_520_215_core_unit_large_dslr.html

The medium version
...Show more

Thank you for taking the time to give all that great information.

Feb 10, 2024 at 04:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Beauregard1910

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

CKrueger wrote:
I have a Mindshift Photocross 15 Backpack that easily fits that kit:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1469083-REG/mindshift_gear_520424_photocross_15_backpack_carbon.html

The biggest kit Iíve fit is a Z9, 500PF, 100-400, 24-70/2.8, and some accessories (X100V or a flash or a filter pack). I can also fit a Peak tripod and a soft water bottle and snacks. The GFX kit you mention would be an easy fit, probably with hoods all in shooting position. You should have enough room for a large filter case, too.

The bag is light and can easily sling to one side to swap lenses, even when carrying a tripod. Its only real downsides are that if
...Show more

That backpack looks great. And, a good price too. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 10, 2024 at 04:12 PM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

No problem! Good luck with whatever you choose, these wide and stubby GFX lenses are sometimes a bit difficult to find a bag for!

Feb 11, 2024 at 07:10 AM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

I have the Lowepro ProTactic BP 350 AW II:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1709119-REG/lowepro_lp37176_grl.html

This fits my GFX 100s (or GFX 50s), GF 23mm, GF 32-64mm, and GF 120mm lenses along with space for filters, batteries, etc. While it carries this somewhat bulky payload with ease, it has a fairly slim exterior profile with the center of gravity very close to your back (there are only 2 small, and flat, exterior pockets that could hold lens cleaner cloths, lens caps, etc).

Good luck,
Jon

Feb 11, 2024 at 07:24 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

jbush wrote:
I have the Lowepro ProTactic BP 350 AW II:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1709119-REG/lowepro_lp37176_grl.html

This fits my GFX 100s (or GFX 50s), GF 23mm, GF 32-64mm, and GF 120mm lenses along with space for filters, batteries, etc. While it carries this somewhat bulky payload with ease, it has a fairly slim exterior profile with the center of gravity very close to your back (there are only 2 small, and flat, exterior pockets that could hold lens cleaner cloths, lens caps, etc).

Good luck,
Jon

The one review of this bag at B&H says that the trap door on top of the bag is too small for a Canon RF system to get through and that he is moving to the same bag in a larger size. Is it your experience that a GFX 100S or GFX100 II will fit through the top access panel on the 350? Link to review below.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1709119-REG/lowepro_lp37176_grl.html/reviews

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:49 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

Nomatic McKinnon 25L-

Its the best backpack I have ever owned. Its not super small but travels small and will do anything you want. I wish I had stopped trying to find other bags. Its worth every penny IMO- I travel almost 4 days a week every week and always have a camera with me, Leica M, Q3 or My Sony with a 70-200. So customizable.

https://www.nomatic.com/products/mckinnon-camera-backpack-25l

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:17 AM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backpack recommendations for GFX

chiron wrote:
The one review of this bag at B&H says that the trap door on top of the bag is too small for a Canon RF system to get through and that he is moving to the same bag in a larger size. Is it your experience that a GFX 100S or GFX100 II will fit through the top access panel on the 350? Link to review below.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1709119-REG/lowepro_lp37176_grl.html/reviews

I have not had this issue, but I put the body in that compartment without a lens attached and there is plenty of room to easily remove the body via the trap door on top, if I want. That said, I almost always access my equipment by unzipping the back so that I can grab the body and a lens. The attached picture shows the 100s, and my 23mm, 32-64mm, and 45mm (rear lens cap facing up), along with various other bits. To fit my 120mm lens I would reconfigure the compartments on the bottom right while removing the 23mm lens.

Jon

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.