New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Buying used monolights

wordfool
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying used monolights

I'm curious if there's anything I should look out for when buying used monolights like the AD200 or FJ200 (from reputable sources like Adorama/B&H). For example, are the bulbs/LEDs or capacitors rated for a certain number of cycles or are they essentially going to last forever? Rechargeable batteries obviously are not going to be perfect, but those can easily be replaced down the road if needed.

Feb 05, 2024 at 06:10 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying used monolights

Other than looking for physical signs of dropping, damage, etc. find out what options you have if the monolight stops working. Used equipment has no factory warranty, so youíre left to pay repair or replacement costs. B&H and Adorama have a limited time warranty on most of their used equipment. After that, youíre on your own.

If youíre looking at the Godox/Flashpoint AD200, buy it new so you have a warranty. Itís not that expensive and youíre not going to save much buying it used.

Feb 06, 2024 at 06:39 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying used monolights

Bulbs and batteries don't last forever. Nothing does. However, bulbs usually fail immediately after some type of abuse like a drop or overheating from excessive stroboscopic bursts. When the bulb goes it goes. It's not going to hang on for it to get shipped to the dealer, tested (hopefully), listed and shipped to you before going kaputz. If you receive a non-working flash it was probably broken in transit and the same thing would have happened to a new one. If it's working fine when you get it, it should continue to work fine as long as you don't do anything mean to it.

Feb 06, 2024 at 05:09 PM
exdeejjjaaaa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying used monolights

wordfool wrote:
I'm curious if there's anything I should look out for when buying used monolights like the AD200 or FJ200 (from reputable sources like Adorama/B&H). For example, are the bulbs/LEDs or capacitors rated for a certain number of cycles or are they essentially going to last forever? Rechargeable batteries obviously are not going to be perfect, but those can easily be replaced down the road if needed.

I 'd pay attention if the model is still in current production and user-replaceable spare parts are readily available new ( tubes and batteries ) also I'd procure a model that can be AC powered and AC power adapter just in case vendor goes up and batteries will disappear... FJ200 ( rebranded Jinbei but made incompatible with other Jinbei gear control protocol wise to preserve Westcott margins... unlike Adorama/FlashPoint vs Godox ) has AC adapter for example - ... AD200 does not have AC adapter

Also Godox has a lot of firmware bugs that are not fixed for ages ( no TTL + HSS at once with Canon RF camera's, TTL underexposure for Sony cameras at apertures wider than ~f4, etc, etc ) - so while Godox is a bigger fish, you might bet on Westcott ( nee Jinbei ) ... Godox modus operandi is not to fix bugs, but to produce new varieties of gear w/ the same bugs... fixing bugs makes no money, selling a new transmitter ( that still has same bugs in firmware ) makes money

Also FJ transmitter is universal for all camera systems ( adapter for Sony hot shoe ) while Godox is specific for a system ( money, money )

Feb 07, 2024 at 10:51 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.