New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

From my experience, I just need to cover the front of my bare bulb with a piece of foil to get a dark center on the Parabolix: no forward light -> dark center.

@docusync: please do share your findings with the UB165S. I am curious.

Feb 14, 2024 at 05:36 AM
Mujabad123
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

To each their own, but a reflection / ring light like that...not my cup of tea

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:52 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

Mujabad123 wrote:
To each their own, but a reflection / ring light like that...not my cup of tea

...duly noted...

Edited on Feb 14, 2024 at 06:55 PM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:55 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

hiepphotog wrote:
From my experience, I just need to cover the front of my bare bulb with a piece of foil to get a dark center on the Parabolix: no forward light -> dark center.

not my experience. I had tried that in the past and didnt work. Tried it again today to see.
Same result..
I may do BOTH though to see if it gains me anything else after I do my full body shot comparisons.

Feb 14, 2024 at 04:07 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
not my experience. I had tried that in the past and didnt work. Tried it again today to see.
Same result..
I may do BOTH though to see if it gains me anything else after I do my full body shot comparisons.

Interesting. that was what I got on the 35D (older, more scattering silver material). Will double check.

Also, not related to this, but given the light pattern, I think your light might be too far out in this case, as noted by me here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1566875/0&year=2018#14643535. Another advantage of the Broncolor Para series is the custom length of the focusing rod for each Para size. Parabolix and other brands only offer one length to fit multiple reflector sizes, leaving the users to figure out the optimized flooded position.

Feb 15, 2024 at 03:52 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

hiepphotog wrote:
Interesting. that was what I got on the 35D (older, more scattering silver material). Will double check.

Also, not related to this, but given the light pattern, I think your light might be too far out in this case, as noted by me here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1566875/0&year=2018#14643535. Another advantage of the Broncolor Para series is the custom length of the focusing rod for each Para size. Parabolix and other brands only offer one length to fit multiple reflector sizes, leaving the users to figure out the optimized flooded position.

No that is NOT the case. I already showed a very good ringlight effect...
In any case, one issue I am noticing with my 45 is very uneven top and bottom illumination. I am contacting Parabolix about it.
I have not been using it for a WHILE now as I was basically only using my Molas until recent so I am concerned if there is an issue with the retention system not up to par or just a bad unit.

I am going to check my 35D and also with different strobes to see if its just the 45 and/or with specific strobes.

I flipped the image to show the differences

Edited on Feb 15, 2024 at 12:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

I tested with the AD200 and same result with uneven illumination BUT if I block the front of the AD200 bulb...like placed a BIG (much bigger than the lamp to make it work) object as you can see on the image probably, I get a nice ringlight and more even illumination?!

Interesting...I am going to try blocking with a larger round cardboard closer to the lamp as I did with the AD200 instead of blocking only the front of the bulb of the ad600 pro next to see if that helps also with the illumination eveness while I hear back from Parabolix. Not perfect but better I think

Finally tonight I will have time to setup full body shots and test the different configurations.

UPDATE:
I contacted Parabolix and first he blamed the angle of the shots.
Now he is blaming the shape of the tubes in the AD600pro and AD200 because they dont provide even illumination..but wouldnt that mean that if its a problem with the flash tube, the uneven illumination will change position as I rotate the strobe around and take test shots or am I missing something here?

What you guys think?

the reflection here around the cage area is the

Flipped for comparison of top and bottom. Not perfect but there is improvement

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:04 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
I tested with the AD200 and same result with uneven illumination BUT if I block the front of the AD200 bulb...like placed a BIG (much bigger than the lamp to make it work) object as you can see on the image probably, I get a nice ringlight and more even illumination?!

Interesting...I am going to try blocking with a larger round cardboard closer to the lamp as I did with the AD200 instead of blocking only the front of the bulb of the ad600 pro next to see if that helps also with the illumination eveness while I hear back from
...Show more

Have you made sure that the focusing block is well-aligned with the Profoto mount? It is not the tightest grip mount for this kind of front-heavy load, so there is some play for sure.

As for the pitch black center, for sure a bigger piece of blocking material would be needed. Though, even on the Para 133, it is not completely dark... This does remind me of the Raycrown Venera for those who only want the flooded, giant ring light look. A very interesting concept that never got realized.

Feb 15, 2024 at 08:30 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

hiepphotog wrote:
Have you made sure that the focusing block is well-aligned with the Profoto mount? It is not the tightest grip mount for this kind of front-heavy load, so there is some play for sure.

As for the pitch black center, for sure a bigger piece of blocking material would be needed. Though, even on the Para 133, it is not completely dark... This does remind me of the Raycrown Venera for those who only want the flooded, giant ring light look.

oh yeah, I am intrigued what I can achieve playing with different sizes to change the "ring" size. I just didnt like the excuse they are giving me specially since the orientation of the uneven areas does not change when rotating the strobe. Not to mention that the 35D is very evenly lit with the SAME godox strobes...

Anyone else has a Parabolix 45 and can show me how yours look with a Godox strobe?

In any case, if this works good on the other tests, I will be getting much more even pattern for the "ring" shots and even get it with the 35D now so that opens up more option with a very simple "tweak".

Feb 15, 2024 at 08:40 PM
PJphoto

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

I don't think it is the angle of your shots - though you could measure the angle of the Parabolix focusing rod and lens to eliminate any question. And I am VERY dubious of the suggestion that it would be the flash tubes of the AD600pro. The AD600pro flash tube is the same style and shape of the Profoto (prohead exposed style, not the flat monoblock style) and Broncolor flash tubes so he would be implying they would also result in uneven illumination? Also the gap in all of their flash tubes for all three of them is quite small (maybe 10-15 degrees?) and unlikely to result in anything like the difference that you're seeing.

Most probably the rubber Profoto mount on your Parabolix modifier is flexing a little when attached on the drum of the focus
mount system. It is a bit of a drawback of the Profoto mount with larger modifiers and I've noticed this with my larger 55. For a big softbox it doesn't really matter but for a parabolic where the placement of the light is critical it is less than ideal.

GabrielPhoto wrote:

Interesting...I am going to try blocking with a larger round cardboard closer to the lamp as I did with the AD200 instead of blocking only the front of the bulb of the ad600 pro next to see if that helps also with the illumination eveness while I hear back from
...Show more

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:11 AM
docusync
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

@GabrielPhoto I remember I had the same "uneven" problem with my 55". I was shooting the Profoto Acute B2 600 back then. The Acute B2 heads are frosted, and theoretically the light pattern should be very even. I always thought that unevenness is caused by sagging, like the lower rods sag more than the upper rods, but I never bothered to rotate the modifier or put something in front of the flash tube. I'm not sure how to explain that "BIG object" is correcting the light pattern though...

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:13 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

docusync wrote:
@GabrielPhoto@ I remember I had the same "uneven" problem with my 55". I was shooting the Profoto Acute B2 600 back then. The Acute B2 heads are frosted, and theoretically the light pattern should be very even. I always thought that unevenness is caused by sagging, like the lower rods sag more than the upper rods, but I never bothered to rotate the modifier or put something in front of the flash tube. I'm not sure how to explain that "BIG object" is correcting the light pattern though...

Looks like Zipper on the top or Left gives me the best even illumination

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:46 PM
1              end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.