New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

Hi!
I am curioous of the 55 and how its light pattern look compared to my 45 for example. Does it achieve a more dark center and outter ring light look when flooded?
Thanks

Feb 04, 2024 at 01:34 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Hi!
I am curioous of the 55 and how its light pattern look compared to my 45 for example. Does it achieve a more dark center and outter ring light look when flooded?
Thanks

Pretty sure that was a “feature” of a truer parabolic than a Broncolor Para.

Feb 05, 2024 at 07:47 PM
Mujabad123
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

No experiences with the 55, but if the center is really darker than outer ring light when flooded (maybe a "feature" like hiepphotog says), then that wouldn't be for me.
Just curious: Do you want to achieve that look, or avoid that look?

Feb 07, 2024 at 01:17 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

Mujabad123 wrote:
No experiences with the 55, but if the center is really darker than outer ring light when flooded (maybe a "feature" like hiepphotog says), then that wouldn't be for me.
Just curious: Do you want to achieve that look, or avoid that look?

The riinglight with a dark center is how the 222 and the Para 133 look, for example, so yes I would prefer to avoid that extra shine in the center. I am testing just adding a black round board in the center and testing how it impacts anything else with my Parabolix 45 currently.
Have you used a Para?

Feb 07, 2024 at 02:20 PM
Mujabad123
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

No I never used a Para. Maybe I didn’t understand you correctly. I thought you where striving for a kind of ring flash look. Probably not.

Feb 08, 2024 at 11:25 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

Mujabad123 wrote:
No I never used a Para. Maybe I didn’t understand you correctly. I thought you where striving for a kind of ring flash look. Probably not.

Oh yeah no this is a COMPLETELY different thing.

Feb 09, 2024 at 10:48 AM
docusync
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Hi!
Thanks

I had the 55" Parabolix in 2019, and it started my journey into the parabolic umbrella world lol
It's not completely dark in the center while fully defocused. This is what you get:

Rita

To zoom in open it via the link and press "R" or click "Fit the screen" button twice.

It's still quite nice and I would kept it if it was not such a pain in da b%tt to deploy/collapse. The Para 133 is almost dark in the center, but not completely dark. Much darker than the Parabolix 55:

Rita

The 222 is a pure huge ring light:

2x Rapunzel

If you care to buy one of these - Broncolor runs 30% off promos every Black Friday, that's when I bought them.

Feb 12, 2024 at 01:37 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

Thanks for sharing.
I was playing with a quick "mod" to mimic the 133 more closely in terms of catch light.
Is not perfect as I was letting some light leak on the bottom making the ring larger on the bottom part but close enough for a quick test..
My wife says she prefers the catch light with the bright center dot so there is that

Feb 12, 2024 at 02:49 PM
docusync
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
I was playing with a quick "mod" to mimic the 133 more closely in terms of catch light.
Is not perfect as I was letting some light leak on the bottom making the ring larger on the bottom part but close enough for a quick test..
My wife says she prefers the catch light with the bright center dot so there is that

I think the second one looks cooler

What kind of "mod" is that? I saw it on John Cornicello's blog - he used a circle-shaped black foam board in the middle of a regular large silver umbrella to imitate the "para look". Based on what I saw it did work actually. Unfortunately he lost his blog somehow, so that post is now gone...
It can be done by hanging a piece of foam on three or four strings, similar to the Profoto OCF BD:

The only difference is the light would be pointed inwards. The size of the circle would define the "ringlight" size. I think color doesn't matter as long as it's not translucent.

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:31 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

New version not tested yet. Just carboard 😀👍

docusync wrote:
I think the second one looks cooler

What kind of "mod" is that? I saw it on John Cornicello's blog - he used a circle-shaped black foam board in the middle of a regular large silver umbrella to imitate the "para look". Based on what I saw it did work actually. Unfortunately he lost his blog somehow, so that post is now gone...
It can be done by hanging a piece of foam on three or four strings, similar to the Profoto OCF BD:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/profoto_101221_ocf_beauty_dish_silver_1457308211_1224152.jpg
The only difference is the light would be pointed inwards. The size of the circle would define
...Show more

Feb 12, 2024 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

docusync
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
New version not tested yet. Just carboard 😀👍

It looks awesome! IMHO this is even better and more practical idea vs Profoto BD.

A few years ago I saw this project https://fstoppers.com/originals/best-large-octabox-design-yet-489331
Apparently it didn't attract much investment and went nowhere. I think it could be a great ringlight-type modifier for outdoors... The main idea is not to have the center area at all

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:04 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

Thank you. I am going to test it soon to see if I blocked all of it and how it compares vs none.
Thanks for that link. Somehow I never saw that one. I remember seeing a round giant ring light made out of wood and almost bought it from the owner but then decided to pass on it.
Looks like the pricing on that product killed any interest on it.

docusync wrote:
It looks awesome! IMHO this is even better and more practical than the Profoto idea.

A few years ago I saw this project https://fstoppers.com/originals/best-large-octabox-design-yet-489331
Apparently it didn't attract much investment and went nowhere. I think it could be a great ringlight-type modifier for outdoors... The main idea is not to have the center area at all

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:19 PM
docusync
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Looks like the pricing on that product killed any interest on it.

You're most likely correct. That modifier is quite ingenious but ~$800-$1000 would be more acceptable to ask for it. $3500 is ok if the seller's name is either "Broncolor" or "Profoto"

Another thing that comes to mind - this defocused parabolic light is not for everyone. You have to try it first to get hooked up like we did If someone would tell me about a $1000+ modifier before I tried my first Parabolix - I'd just say "meh" and walk away.

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:37 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

That is a very good point 😅😅😅

docusync wrote:
You're most likely correct. That modifier is quite ingenious but ~$800-$1000 would be more acceptable to ask for it. $3500 is ok if the seller's name is either "Broncolor" or "Profoto"

Another thing that comes to mind - this defocused parabolic light is not for everyone. You have to try it first to get hooked up like we did If someone would tell me about a $1000+ modifier before I tried my first Parabolix - I'd just say "meh" and walk away.

Feb 12, 2024 at 08:48 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

I still need to do a proper comparison to see how other areas are affected but in terms of the catchlight I think I got it pretty good now

Still not perfect coverage but getting there

Feb 13, 2024 at 02:44 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

I used to use the 55 and 35D a lot. Not being as deep as the 35D, I found that the 55 acts more like a big octa whereas the 35D felt like a giant beauty dish.

I generally used the 35D for single talent, and the 55 for when we had 2 people in the shot. Can't say how the catch light looked, but the 55 definitely does not have as sharp fall off when fully focused.

Feb 13, 2024 at 06:06 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

I have decided to stay with the 45 an 35D combo instead and use this "mod" (or a slightly improved version of it I am working on this weekend), when I want to get the 222 catchlight look

Feb 13, 2024 at 06:12 PM
docusync
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
I still need to do a proper comparison to see how other areas are affected but in terms of the catchlight I think I got it pretty good now

Very impressive! I might try to do something similar with my Godox UB165S umbrella. It's not parabolic at all, but it's deep, focusable and super portable. Unlike real parabolic modifiers, the flash tube should be all the way inside of the umbrella to look "defocused". It still shines quite bright in the center but I feel using yours or similar technique can transform it into a "premium" modifier. Thanks to you, Gabriel, now I got myself a weekend project lol.

This is an example what the UB165S can produce (~3 meters from the girls):

UB165S

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:10 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

docusync wrote:
Very impressive! I might try to do something similar with my Godox UB165S umbrella. It's not parabolic at all, but it's deep, focusable and super portable. Unlike real parabolic modifiers, the flash tube should be all the way inside of the umbrella to look "defocused". It still shines quite bright in the center but I feel using this or similar technique can transform it into a "premium" modifier. Thanks to you, Gabriel, now I got myself a weekend project lol.

This is an example what the UB165S can produce (~3 meters from the girls):
https://gallery-api.medolap.com/api/file/any/c1ddd894-5418-489c-97f3-96457cf8fc13?width=3000&height=2000&quality=100&ext=.jpg
UB165S

Glad to share this
Looking foward to your results. That is a lovely photo, very popping colors/rendition already
I plan to test full shots next to see how itt affects other areas like falloff, backdrop, etc but I am kind of thinking I may shoot the 45 like this most of the time now.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:15 PM
docusync
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone using a Parabolix 55 here?

GabrielPhoto wrote:
Looking forward to your results. That is a lovely photo, very popping colors/rendition already

Thank you for the kind words! I will post my results in this thread.

GabrielPhoto wrote:
I plan to test full shots next to see how it affects other areas like falloff, backdrop, etc but I am kind of thinking I may shoot the 45 like this most of the time now.

I just realized that I may shoot the 45 can mean totally different things on different forums
I'm very curious to see a comparison between the unmodified and "upgraded" variants, and I hope it's more than just catchlights!

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.