FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

Monika C
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

Mike, nice to see your work.
I prefer #2. Being softer, it also imparts more depth, less "in your face".

Feb 11, 2024 at 08:30 AM
DanielJStein
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

Beautiful! I prefer natural color but that formaxx palette is looking sweet. Quick question, why no flats? Arguably they are the most important calibration frame.

Feb 11, 2024 at 05:15 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

DanielJStein wrote:
Beautiful! I prefer natural color but that formaxx palette is looking sweet. Quick question, why no flats? Arguably they are the most important calibration frame.

Not OP, but from my perspective flats are not required and I never use them.

I have four telescopes, I don't shoot (or need) flats with any of them. I don't use any calibration frames, in fact. Keep your optics clean, dither well, and calibration frames often won't be necessary. Flats are highly specific to the individual setup though (vignette and dust) so saying don't bother with flats isn't blanket advice I'd ever offer, but it's worth considering if they are needed for your setup.

I have done stacks using the same data where one stack was uncalibrated and the other stack was calibrated with appropriate calibration frames (darks, flats etc) and there was absolutely no perceptible difference between the two. I haven't bothered with calibration ever since. The modern zero-amp glow Sony sensors don't need darks if you dither well, and if you don't have vignette or dust issues, flats are unnecessary too.

Feb 11, 2024 at 05:36 PM
DanielJStein
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

Interesting. My setup has some internal dust in the OTA, and I just am never sure what little dusts I have missed on the sensor. Keep in mind the sensor is the most important thing to keep clean. Any dust on that will show up in the image. I also am using a ASI294MC which is known for bad amp glow, so there is that as well. Flats darks and bias for me!

Feb 12, 2024 at 06:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dunbarsoccer22

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

These kinds of photos always blow my mind. I don't have any experience with astro-photography, but for what it is worth, I prefer the second photo. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 16, 2024 at 07:54 AM
patotts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

Frist one!

Feb 17, 2024 at 08:17 AM
another_mikey
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and support, much appreciated.

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:24 AM
another_mikey
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Jellyfish Nebula, 2 Different Color Mixes

DanielJStein wrote:

Daniel,

In my case, I do usually take flats, and they are important in my case because my gear is stored outside much of the time and I control it remotely here from Colorado (it is located at a fellow astro imager's house in AZ) and so I cannot keep up on the optics cleaning as much as I might otherwise. But in this case, I actually took this data while troubleshooting some tracking issues, and so I did not take the time to do my usual support frames. It was only after the fact that I realized I had enough data to try to make a decent image that I decided to process my data, and that was after the setup had been modified, making flats a bit problematic. I did have to fool around a bit to fix a couple of areas, but it was not too bad actually.

ML

Feb 27, 2024 at 01:28 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.