FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

What's with the Z8 prices

jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · What's with the Z8 prices

As of this writing all the major retailer here in "the States" are showing a $200-off price of $3,796.95.

The way I was raised, "never pay more than 20%-off retail for a used product"...and by "used" that means, "they bought it and brought it home, doesn't matter if they never used it". Anything over that is, er, "hopeful pricing". Thanks, dad!

By that math I get "$3,037.56".

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:05 AM
Alistair1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · What's with the Z8 prices

1bwana1 wrote:
In any case the poster who said that a Z8 can be bought for $3,000 is correct. I think sellers can find a way to realize more however.

I think it is also correct to say that the Z8 is within the normal depreciation range for similar cameras. Considering its position in camera lifecycles, there is no evidence that leads me to believe that it is holding value better than most, not losing value faster than most. From my perspective it is a great product that is behaving normality in the resale market.

I think $3k used is about right. The OP's assertion that "The used prices seems to be falling as if there is no bottom" is nonsense.

Feb 13, 2024 at 04:18 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · What's with the Z8 prices

groob wrote:
This thread began with Snapsy delivering an unbelievable Motte and Bailey, and now hes changed the definition of market price because hes so committed to the bit. I love the internet.

Did you then employ a Mott the Hoople corollary to defeat him?

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:07 AM
groob
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · What's with the Z8 prices

henry albert wrote:
Did you then employ a Mott the Hoople corollary to defeat him?

Ha. Nice.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:33 AM
cmm1398

p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · What's with the Z8 prices

Comparing "new" prices on the gray market is quite a lot different than comparing "new" prices from an authorized reseller. Authorized reseller pricing, the only place you can expect to get a warranty or Nikon support are all firmly still at a very consistent price level.

Edit: having said that, I recently bought a "new" Z8 off the BST forum here on FM and am completely pleased with my purchase. I think I paid 3150. I feel like the warranty/gray-market risk is the discount amount. If the discount were less than 10-15%, I'd probably just pay retail and get an authorized copy from B&H.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BColeman5500

p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · What's with the Z8 prices

Interesting comment about new market coming from Z6/7 world. I have a z7ii and have been expecting firmware updates to the platform. So far, there have been 3. Current version is 1.61.
Nikon will not build an audience if they put out a good camera at an affordable price then ignore it. the Z7ii has great potential but really needs firmware improvements around tracking and other areas.

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:26 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · What's with the Z8 prices

BColeman5500 wrote:
Interesting comment about new market coming from Z6/7 world. I have a z7ii and have been expecting firmware updates to the platform. So far, there have been 3. Current version is 1.61.
Nikon will not build an audience if they put out a good camera at an affordable price then ignore it. the Z7ii has great potential but really needs firmware improvements around tracking and other areas.

The Z6II and Z7II are hardware limited and use very slow processors relative to more modern cameras, you aren't going to see any FW updates to those cameras that have dramatic improvements to AF or any other major feature adds. Also, with the Z6III coming any day now, if anything they are going to focus on FW updates for that model rather than the model(s) it replaces.

The Z6/Z7 use the old Expeed 6 from 2018. Adding a second one in the Z6II/Z7II didn't do much because many camera processes do not scale well with parallel processing. Expeed 7 is ~10-12 times faster than Expeed 6 and what Nikon can do after the fact with FW is simply much greater in the newer models. The readout speed from the stacked sensors in the Z8/Z9 also allow them to add features that you will probably never see in the slower bodies.

Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't expect any meaningful performance related FW updates for your Z7II. There is no camera manufacturer I'm aware of that is still supporting their 4-6 year old models with big upgrades and feature adds, and especially not after a successor is released.

Feb 21, 2024 at 01:49 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · What's with the Z8 prices

F type is rising from the ashes, to put the Z where it belong? I can't say... but f-type was good, z ruined our market. Deserved? I cannot say, I have no Z experience.

Feb 26, 2024 at 07:43 PM
LostLensCap
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · What's with the Z8 prices

Mpb has 1 and KEH has none..............hmmmmmmmmmmm

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.