FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

What's with the Z8 prices

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What's with the Z8 prices

I think youíre absolutely right about the recalls, if nothing else itís instilling some doubt in potential consumers minds about the body which would drive the price down naturally. The Z8 is not a hard camera to find, and having launch issues didnít help its cause.

I would have to disagree with earlier comments about heat issues, for the majority of shooters the Z8 will be a perfectly fine camera that will never overheat with the proper memory card.

huddy wrote:
I would expect the recalls heavily effected price, especially given Nikon's inability to show current status of a serial number if repairs are in place. D600 values also went into the tank due to recalls as some may recall.

I am not complaining. I would enjoy a Z8 (or Z6iii?) but have no need or justification o pay original MSRP.

Jan 29, 2024 at 09:51 AM
Eric214
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What's with the Z8 prices

RoamingScott wrote:
I think youíre absolutely right about the recalls, if nothing else itís instilling some doubt in potential consumers minds about the body which would drive the price down naturally. The Z8 is not a hard camera to find, and having launch issues didnít help its cause.

I would have to disagree with earlier comments about heat issues, for the majority of shooters the Z8 will be a perfectly fine camera that will never overheat with the proper memory card.

I've seen people complain about hot card warnings shooting stills with Cobalt and Delkin Black cards. I've also seen it happen to people at Conowingo Dam shooting Eagles this past November, so not in the heat of summer either.

So there are times where it's happened when shooting frequent bursts. But yes, the majority of shooters it's fine, but in high activity with lots of action, it can still be a problem

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:30 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What's with the Z8 prices

Eric214 wrote:
I've seen people complain about hot card warnings shooting stills with Cobalt and Delkin Black cards. I've also seen it happen to people at Conowingo Dam shooting Eagles this past November, so not in the heat of summer either.

So there are times where it's happened when shooting frequent bursts. But yes, the majority of shooters it's fine, but in high activity with lots of action, it can still be a problem

To be clear, are they just getting a warning, or is their camera shutting down or otherwise preventing operation?

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What's with the Z8 prices

Eric214: you do know there is a subtle difference between the 78 and Z9.

in my work the Z8 would carry me for about 85-90% of the needs. that last 10-15% simply no.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:50 AM
nhmorgan
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What's with the Z8 prices

Curious to hear what that last 10-15% would be

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:50 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What's with the Z8 prices

Based on samples, yes, extremely curious

Jan 29, 2024 at 01:00 PM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What's with the Z8 prices

huddy wrote:
I would expect the recalls heavily effected price, especially given Nikon's inability to show current status of a serial number if repairs are in place. D600 values also went into the tank due to recalls as some may recall.

I am not complaining. I would enjoy a Z8 (or Z6iii?) but have no need or justification o pay original MSRP.

The D600 price went down because for a long time, the problems were not fixed.

The Z8 took two days in and out to get both issues fixed for me. Others got slower turnaround due to too many cameras to be fixed at a time.

Note the Z9 also had a mount recall. People seem to forget some and remember others.

Jan 29, 2024 at 01:08 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What's with the Z8 prices

sjms wrote:

in my work the Z8 would carry me for about 85-90% of the needs. that last 10-15% simply no.

No one is expecting the Z8 to record in 8k for over 1 hour. I don't think anyone is buying a Z8 for their "cinematography." I have a Z8/Z9 combo for still. The best cameras there are right now. Sony fans can cry me a river.

Jan 29, 2024 at 01:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What's with the Z8 prices

And?

Jan 29, 2024 at 01:25 PM
groob
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What's with the Z8 prices

I donít know, probably has about as much to do with how Nikon is pricing refurbs as anything else. Nikon priced the Z9 refurbs at $1k under retail, and that set the ceiling on the used market ever since. Nikon priced Z8 refurbs at $500 under retail. Looks like this too set the ceiling for resellers, who have to undercut Nikon because there will be no (or not much) of a warranty. Private party resellers undercutting Nikon by a round $500 seems completely logical and expected.

Jan 29, 2024 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Eric214
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What's with the Z8 prices

RoamingScott wrote:
To be clear, are they just getting a warning, or is their camera shutting down or otherwise preventing operation?

2 different people eventually got a hot camera warning but no shutdown.

Jan 29, 2024 at 02:40 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What's with the Z8 prices

TooManyShots wrote:
No one is expecting the Z8 to record in 8k for over 1 hour. I don't think anyone is buying a Z8 for their "cinematography." I have a Z8/Z9 combo for still. The best cameras there are right now. Sony fans can cry me a river.

I'm video, people get hit card warning in as little as 16 min and shutdown at 22 min. It's good an hour.

Jan 29, 2024 at 02:41 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What's with the Z8 prices

sjms wrote:

Yes I'm perfectly aware of the similarities Anna differences of the Z8 and Z9 and for the average photographer, it's fine. But there is differences ava limitations with the Z8.

Jan 29, 2024 at 02:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What's with the Z8 prices

define the term "average photographer".

but, then these individuals you speak of also know the differences too, right?

and it seems there are the limitations of the users too.

Jan 29, 2024 at 02:53 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What's with the Z8 prices

RoamingScott wrote:
Based on samples, yes, extremely curious

i'll bet you would.

Jan 29, 2024 at 03:14 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What's with the Z8 prices

I think we all would stand to learn where the Z8 is 90% as capable as the Z9. Sounds informative! If only you'd make those types of posts...

Jan 29, 2024 at 03:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What's with the Z8 prices

ahhh.

Jan 29, 2024 at 03:20 PM
Woodyg3
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What's with the Z8 prices

Yeah, I just traded my friend a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for his Z8...

20-25% off isn't unusual in classified ad sales. The sky is not falling.

Jan 29, 2024 at 04:46 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What's with the Z8 prices

TooManyShots wrote:

🙄

Jan 29, 2024 at 06:39 PM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What's with the Z8 prices

RoamingScott wrote:

Iím one of the ones that has mentioned overheating. Experienced with SanDisk Extreme and Delkin Power. Both card and camera heat warnings. Pretty quickly as well.

However, I continued to record and did not experience any shutdowns.

To the comment about recording an hour at 8k - I was able to do that with and X-H2 without a hiccup.

Jan 29, 2024 at 06:52 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.