FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

What's with the Z8 prices

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What's with the Z8 prices

Jman13 wrote:
I just came here to post the same thing. And itís not like Sony is doing poorly. Also, the R5 is selling for as low as $2200-$2400. It started at $4K new, though is down to $3400 new now. Still, $1200 off new right now is still worse than the Z8. If anything, the Z8 is holding its value better than other similarly priced bodies right now.

That's ignoring time frames. The Z8 lost nearly 25% of its value within the first six months of its introduction. To my knowledge that has never happened on a camera before.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:19 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What's with the Z8 prices

Are you selling yours? Is a great body. FYI, there is a $200 instant rebate on it. I bought it when there was a $300 instant rebate and I got mine from an authorized reseller without charging sales tax! $3600.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What's with the Z8 prices

from day one digital cameras truly have never been good resale value items unless they have been early in the sales cycle and there were not many in the wild.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:45 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What's with the Z8 prices

Ive seen them at 2900 which is insane for what you get.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:20 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What's with the Z8 prices

Really? Iíve never sense a good condition Z8 for that price.

3catsinky wrote:
Ive seen them at 2900 which is insane for what you get.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What's with the Z8 prices

results vary. how many have you looked in that scenario? also how do you reference condition?

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:47 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What's with the Z8 prices

That is true, but it means there are more sellers then buyers. That is the question I posed.

JustShootMe wrote:
If you want to sell quick you sell cheap .. this is not rocket science. This does not reflect demand or sales from the manufacturer.

Edited on Jan 28, 2024 at 01:29 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:28 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What's with the Z8 prices

Search the b&s forum for old items or search ebay for completed listings.

robert_in_ca wrote:
Really? Iíve never sense a good condition Z8 for that price.

Edited on Jan 28, 2024 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:29 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What's with the Z8 prices

Exactly. Comparing it to Canon R5 is unreasonable.

snapsy wrote:
That's ignoring time frames. The Z8 lost nearly 25% of its value within the first six months of its introduction. To my knowledge that has never happened on a camera before.

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:32 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What's with the Z8 prices

It has been on heavy edu discounts multiple times. Plus there is that store in East coast selling through froggy toe.

nhmorgan wrote:
From what I could tell, the A7rV was never offered at an EDU discount. At least not on BH. But, yes that can distort prices a bit. It's how I bought all my gear when I used Sony.

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Max Power
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What's with the Z8 prices

RoamingScott wrote:
Rule 1: do not come to FM for economic erudition

I am guessing that is not why this thread was startedÖ.😂

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:51 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What's with the Z8 prices

Oh Iím well aware.

Max Power wrote:
I am guessing that is not why this thread was startedÖ.😂

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:54 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What's with the Z8 prices

indusphoto wrote:
Exactly. Comparing it to Canon R5 is unreasonable.

25% of what value? the used value ? That's not a fair metric ... it's readily available , and let's be honest to most people here these are just toys. Grown up toys , the Z8 is more than most need. I'll take a used Z8 for 3K , why the hell not.

I'm not defending the Z8 , it's just another camera , and with the exception of Leica, resell value is gonna suck. Most electronics do not sell well used , other than the luxury items.

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:59 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What's with the Z8 prices

snapsy wrote:

A byproduct of multiple recalls, perhaps?

Jan 28, 2024 at 02:14 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What's with the Z8 prices

I think many are realizing that the original moniker that the YouTube "influencers" gave the Z8, The baby Z9, wasn't nearly as accurate as they were led to believe. It's true description should be IT'S ALMOST A Z9. I mentioned before it was shipped that the Z8 wouldn't sell as well as the Z9 and it would be on store shelves to just walk in and buy after 3 months.

The heat issues turned a lot of people off (video and stills) and battery life. Now there is the potential forking of the firmware that really was expected. No Auto Capture yet and may not ever come Z8. Even though they are just rumors, the 30fps Raw and Pre Capture in Raw is doubtful to come to the Z8 as it already has heat dissipation issues, these features would put even more stress on the Z8's heat issues.

Then there is the Bird SD. Yes Nikon stated it is coming to the Z8 sometime in the the 1st half of 2024. That means it could be the end of June and the Z9 FW 4.10 update was released on Oct 4th. So that means Z8 owners could be waiting as long as 8 months for the Bird SD. That is a LONG time.

I think a lot of people are dumping the Z8 for these reasons as a main camera or 2nd body. This is why I think there are more sellers then buyers currently. As a backup body to the Z9, I think it's a fine option

Jan 28, 2024 at 02:15 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What's with the Z8 prices

I think that both you and @molson have a point (multiple recalls) and it looks like that it is also affecting new camera sales, not just the used market.

New nikon USA serial Z8 are selling off market (e.g on this site) for 600-700 off the official nikon discounted prices. Obviously someone is desperate to move the new inventory.

Eric214 wrote:
I think many are realizing that the original moniker that the YouTube "influencers" gave the Z8, The baby Z9, wasn't nearly as accurate as they were led to believe. It's true description should be IT'S ALMOST A Z9. I mentioned before it was shipped that the Z8 wouldn't sell as well as the Z9 and it would be on store shelves to just walk in and buy after 3 months.

The heat issues turned a lot of people off (video and stills) and battery life. Now there is the potential forking of the firmware that really was expected. No Auto Capture
...Show more

Jan 28, 2024 at 03:52 PM
DATER

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What's with the Z8 prices

Itís probably got something to do with the economy. Interest rates are high across the world right now (Japan excluded).

Jan 28, 2024 at 07:07 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What's with the Z8 prices

The Sony A7RV can be found for some good deals used (under 3k).

Electronics do go down once you buy them and use them.

I would say the overall demand for "fancy" cameras is diminishing.

Economy is squeezing people so if this is a hobby, that is one of the first things that get squeezed out.

If you are wanting/needing this camera, I say buy it enjoy the photos and don't stress over the resale.

I think Nikon should got this out a bit sooner, I was interested in, but couldn't wait years so just ended up going to the Darkside (sony).

Jan 28, 2024 at 07:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What's with the Z8 prices

molson wrote:
A byproduct of multiple recalls, perhaps?

Absolutely, that's been my assertion as well.

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:31 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What's with the Z8 prices

I would expect the recalls heavily effected price, especially given Nikon's inability to show current status of a serial number if repairs are in place. D600 values also went into the tank due to recalls as some may recall.

I am not complaining. I would enjoy a Z8 (or Z6iii?) but have no need or justification o pay original MSRP.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.