New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

What's with the Z8 prices

indusphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's with the Z8 prices

The used prices seems to be falling as if there is no bottom.

Did nikon overestimate the demand or people just don't like it and are dumping it.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:48 PM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's with the Z8 prices

indusphoto wrote:

New (B&H) $3800
Used (MPB) $3600
These are low used prices?

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:03 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's with the Z8 prices

indusphoto wrote:

Did nikon overestimate the demand or people just don't like it and are dumping it.

It was and always will be a niche camera just like the Z9 and the Zf. The Nikon user base had a tremendous pent up demand for a competatively performing mirrorless camera. This boosted demand originally. But let's face it, like the A1 and all other flagship cameras the demand is limited. You can't sustain a camera company primarily selling flagship cameras to existing users of your brand. A1 prices have fallen even more on a percentage basis. New Z9/8 and A1 cameras are getting discounted now. Used prices will follow that of course.

It will be cameras like the Z6/7 (III) that drive market share in the broader market. This is where new users will come from. I am expecting big things from Nikon's upcoming entrants into that market segment.

Edited on Jan 27, 2024 at 11:08 PM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:06 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's with the Z8 prices

I have no idea on the 2nd hand prices. What are they these days?
Sarcasm on: of course are people dumping their Z8 as it just canít take decent pictures, not for fashion, landscape or wildlife.

Sarcasm off: there is a Ä300 discount on the Z8 if you bring in a digital camera in any kind of condition of any brand. I know for a fact there are hardly any 2nd hand Z8 bodies available in my part of the world.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:06 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's with the Z8 prices

Ever visit b&s forum here? New unused is selling for 3200, used for 3000.

Keith B. wrote:
New (B&H) $3800
Used (MPB) $3600
These are low used prices?

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:33 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's with the Z8 prices

Unlike you I donít because 1/ I live in Europe and 2/ I do not buy 2nd hand.

indusphoto wrote:
Ever visit b&s forum here? New unused is selling for 3200, used for 3000.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:46 PM
indusphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's with the Z8 prices

I do not think that I was replying to you, but if you want to post about used prices, you should have some knowledge of used prices, no?

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Unlike you I donít because 1/ I live in Europe and 2/ I do not buy 2nd hand.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:58 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's with the Z8 prices

Chill man, I replied from my phone and did not see the post above me questioning your statements on low prices .
A little touchy are we?

indusphoto wrote:
I do not think that I was replying to you, but if you want to post about used prices, you should have some knowledge of used prices, no?

Jan 28, 2024 at 01:07 AM
indusphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's with the Z8 prices

You made a mistake, and I am to blame? Gaslighting, are we?

Anyway, apologies from me, I just hoped that there would be a real discussion.

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Chill man, I replied from my phone and did not see the post above me questioning your statements on low prices .
A little touchy are we?

Jan 28, 2024 at 02:08 AM
sport
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's with the Z8 prices

If i see the questions on facebook Nikon z8 groups, then its logic most off them are selling it.
They think its a phone mobile camera, they just dont understand it.

Jan 28, 2024 at 03:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's with the Z8 prices

Quite a lot of FM forum users are bird photographers and although in the beginning the Z8 had the same AF functionality as the Z9, Nikon upgraded the latter to include a bird subject mode (and other features such as auto capture); perhaps some bird photographers are selling the Z8 to go with the Z9. For someone whose subject-detection needs are mainly around subjects involving people, the Z8 is excellent and I believe to be the equal of the Z9. (The Z8 will get the bird AF soon, according to Nikon. But there is no clear commitment to auto capture - they initially said it would come soon to the Z8 but then removed that mention from the video.)

The Z8 is easier to use on a gimbal (video stabilizer) because of its smaller size, and the size and weight are probably closer to most photographers' wishes than the Z9. In local groups I have not seen any Z8 for sale.

Jan 28, 2024 at 03:54 AM
groob
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's with the Z8 prices

I don't think that 30% off of retail for a used camera is odd. It's about what I'd expect, and it tracks basically all used cameras that aren't backordered.

Jan 28, 2024 at 06:07 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's with the Z8 prices

groob wrote:
I don't think that 30% off of retail for a used camera is odd. It's about what I'd expect, and it tracks basically all used cameras that aren't backordered.

I agree. I would not consider a used item at 70%+ of the new price. At 40-60%, sure. But used prices are dependent on the market (region, type of product etc.) and so there may be higher prices asked for items that are rare or in short supply. This doesn't apply to the Z8 since it's been on the market for a while and a mainstream model.

Jan 28, 2024 at 06:30 AM
nhmorgan
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's with the Z8 prices

Look at the A7RV. I've seen those going used for $2750

Jan 28, 2024 at 06:42 AM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's with the Z8 prices

sport wrote:
If i see the questions on facebook Nikon z8 groups, then its logic most off them are selling it.
They think its a phone mobile camera, they just dont understand it.

I assume they just bought it and have questions about how to set it up for optimal performance.

Jan 28, 2024 at 07:23 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's with the Z8 prices

nhmorgan wrote:

I just came here to post the same thing. And itís not like Sony is doing poorly. Also, the R5 is selling for as low as $2200-$2400. It started at $4K new, though is down to $3400 new now. Still, $1200 off new right now is still worse than the Z8. If anything, the Z8 is holding its value better than other similarly priced bodies right now.

Jan 28, 2024 at 07:28 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's with the Z8 prices

Rule 1: do not come to FM for economic erudition

Jan 28, 2024 at 07:50 AM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's with the Z8 prices

If you want to sell quick you sell cheap .. this is not rocket science. This does not reflect demand or sales from the manufacturer.

Jan 28, 2024 at 09:13 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What's with the Z8 prices

nhmorgan wrote:

Sony prices are somewhat unique. Sony has an EDU program that is very easily abused, I've seen it in action right here in the BST forum.

In general, Sony greatly overprices on MSRP, but there are various mechanisms to get brand new in box units far cheaper than MSRP if you're cunning. You can still sell cheap secondhand and make a nice profit flipping it to less savvy people.

Jan 28, 2024 at 09:16 AM
nhmorgan
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What's with the Z8 prices

From what I could tell, the A7rV was never offered at an EDU discount. At least not on BH. But, yes that can distort prices a bit. It's how I bought all my gear when I used Sony.

Jan 28, 2024 at 09:36 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.