Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

snegron7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

So, I remember reading and posting on a couple of New Year's Resolution threads here about not wanting to spend money on anything photograpy-related this year. My plan was to use what I own and improve my skills (or something along those lines).

Today is the 26th day of the new year, and I have already purchased 3 cameras, one lens and an extension grip. In my defense, the three cameras were film cameras (Canon FT QL). I purchased it used in great condition at an estate sale. It was only missing a tiny ring that surrounds the shutter release button. So, I saw a couple of used FT QL's on KEH at a super bargain price (in "As-Is" condition), and I purchased them to use as spare parts donors for my 1st body. Turns out they were in great working condition! Each one had a minor ding, but the cameras worked flawlessly!

A couple of days ago I decided to use a pair of Amazon gift cards that were given to me several months ago (I have been staying away from Amazon because of their new return policy on photo gear plus the bad experiences I've had with gear I've purchased from them). I purchased an extension grip for my tiny Ricoh GRIII. I'm on the fence whether or not I'm happy with the grip, but it does improve the handling of my Ricoh GRIII.

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

https://flic.kr/p/2puGbjp

How's your New Year's resolution coming along?

Jan 26, 2024 at 06:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

What new year's resolution(s) are you referring to?

Jan 26, 2024 at 08:42 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

Just fine…I don’t make any so I don’t break any.

Jan 26, 2024 at 09:08 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I resolved not to engage in silly threads that don’t seriously discuss Canon gear.

Oops.

Jan 26, 2024 at 09:52 PM
Gorillaphant

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I wanted to spend a bit more time taking photos this year. So far I've looked at a bunch of different gear but haven't spent much time actually using it lol

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:16 AM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

Imagemaster wrote:
I resolved not to engage in silly threads that don’t seriously discuss Canon gear.

Oops.

You are still ok. The 3 cameras I purchesed were Canons. The Canon FT QL was one of Canon's first pro-grade cameras. It used an FL mount and was in production from 1966 to 1972. Canon changed to their famous FD mount toward the end of the production cycle of the FT. Many of the design features of the FT 3 were later incorporated into the legendary F1. The F1 was Canon's most successful pro-grade camera; it kept Canon in the "pro game". Today's mirrorless pro bodies are a result of Canon's competitive practices with Nikon. So, the FT was an essential player in Canon's legacy. Think of the FT QL as a DNA ancestor of your R5.

On a side note, the FT QL was built like a tank. Much sturdier and rugged than the Nikon F of its time. I wish Canon made cameras as rugged today as they did when they made the FT QL.

Jan 27, 2024 at 03:55 AM
Pixelpuffin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I vowed not to buy any photo gear during 2024…..erm 😳

So far….
+2 correction lens for my viewfinder
And a replacement lens hood for my Laowa 9mm - probably won’t use it but my OCD went into overdrive…I like completeness 😂

Other than those and possibly a few more SD cards later in the year I think I’m good to go.

My RP needs repairing (scratched sensor) still works but there’s a smudge on every picture with clear sky . Not sure whether to repair or just use it as a throwaway camera and basically not give a damn about it until it dies, easier said than done. I’d love to be more reckless

Definitely not buying more photo gear, I seem to have lost the GAS (thank god!!) and quite enjoying how liberating it feels.

Jan 27, 2024 at 07:44 AM
TomSchriefer
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I am with Pixelpuffin, no new photo gear this year. I reserved the right to buy: film, processing, cards and other such sundries. The gist of it was no new: cameras, lenses, lighting, etc. I am doing fine with it, so far. Nothing new... yet. I am actually considering selling my R10/18-45/and control ring adapter. The R10 really doesn't do anything I can't do with my other gear.

Jan 27, 2024 at 08:06 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I knew there was something I forgot

Jan 27, 2024 at 08:26 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

Fantastic. I didn't make any because I knew I would fail so I actually won.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

20 MP, same as last year's resolution.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:14 PM
PAFL-rev

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

No need to make or break resolution as tapped out the piggy bank in 2023

Jan 27, 2024 at 04:15 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

Badly. With the RF system arrival, various EF lenses I was more or less drooling over in the past are appearing in second hand shops at affordable prices.

Jan 27, 2024 at 07:14 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

PAFL-rev wrote:
No need to make or break resolution as tapped out the piggy bank in 2023

I hear most banks have brand new filled up piggy banks they can lend you.

Jan 27, 2024 at 07:53 PM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

Very well, thank you! And a big thanks to Pixelpuffin for the initiative. I payed for my backordered 200-800 last year, still waiting. I actually feel huge Freedom from the need to scan for the stuff my GAS forces upon me.

So now I´ve got loads of money to throw on, or actually some money to throw on loads of fishing gear! Compared to camera stuff, fishing stuff is so incredibly cheap. A St.Croix Legend Tournament Bass Cast 9' rod and an Ambassadeur Rocket 5601 SZ Svartzonker reel for the money I could get a cheaper end RF-S lens for. A lens that wont bring anything to the frying pan, not in my hands anyway. Suurhauki 95/40 HÄMY will for sure! Simply remarkable.

Jan 28, 2024 at 05:27 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I'm making two resolutions today:

1 - Thou shalt not covet my friends mirrorless gear.

2 - Thou shalt not visit gear forums.

Jan 28, 2024 at 06:02 AM
Rivermist
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

snegron7 wrote:
You are still ok. The 3 cameras I purchesed were Canons. The Canon FT QL was one of Canon's first pro-grade cameras. It used an FL mount and was in production from 1966 to 1972. Canon changed to their famous FD mount toward the end of the production cycle of the FT. Many of the design features of the FT 3 were later incorporated into the legendary F1. The F1 was Canon's most successful pro-grade camera; it kept Canon in the "pro game". Today's mirrorless pro bodies are a result of Canon's competitive practices with Nikon. So, the FT was
...Show more

The Canon FT QL was my first SLR camera, while still in high school (oops, just aged myself there). With the FL 50mm f:1.8 and FL 200mm f:4.5, I set out to learn about photography. A few years later I moved to the F-1 and stuck with it (and a raft of FD lenses) until digital arrived. The FT was simple to use, robust and quite forgiving. The 12% metering zone was a good compromise to evaluate complex lighting without a handheld photocell. The FT booster meter, a precursor to the F-1 Booster T viewfinder, extended use to low light and night photography.

Feb 01, 2024 at 10:31 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I will get to work on my second million. I gave up on the first.

I never make resolutions cuz I can never remember what they were.

Feb 01, 2024 at 11:45 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

I guess it's not a resolution but more of something I need to improve. I've always been bad at applying the correct shutter speeds going between moving and static subjects. BIF with a fast shutter speed and then I see a static bird and shoot at the same speed getting into unnecessary high ISO's.

I shoot in M mode with Auto ISO. I mapped the C1-3 modes to primarily change shutter speeds only. There are a few tweaks for each mode like FPS, etc. I had to reorganise a few things with BBF to suit my shooting style which I wish I had done years ago. The mapping options on these ML bodies are wonderful.

It is going quite well.

Feb 13, 2024 at 05:33 AM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How's Your New Year's Resolution Coming Along?

Great! I resolved to take at least one picture a day and i’ve been very good at getting that done. My next resolution is to frame and change at least two photos by the half year point.

Feb 13, 2024 at 07:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.