1       2      
       end

Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

rdeloe wrote:
A medium format back would make a lot of sense on my digital view camera setup, but a Phase One IQ4 150 is out of the question. As a reference point, here's someone selling a used IQ4 150, and looking to get EUR 22,000. If you need a medium format back, can't afford an IQ4 150, and and older generation Phase One back won't do, then this Hasselblad is a total bargain.

Considering the original IQ1 50 launched at $30k and the original CFV 50c at $15k ten years ago, it's amazing how much more you get out of this back in comparison for so much less. Plus you get a tiny little camera for it.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:26 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

If I wanted medium format, which I don’t, then this is just gorgeous! What a superb minimalist design, with a great classic look, and so small and neat. A brilliant instrument, and for old Hasselblad users a wonderful extension to the life of their beloved gear.

Jan 29, 2024 at 06:09 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

my 45P and 65 2.8 blew them all away at nearly every aperture as far as consistency of sharpness and retention of detail in the outer 25% of the image area.

Thanks for the feedback, but I do wish people would not use these ‘blew them all away’ hyperbolic and very vague phrases when describing something that needs much more accurate nuance.

Jan 29, 2024 at 06:18 AM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

RustyBug wrote:
Gordon, you mentioned the Hoodman loupe for use with the 907x ... any use with if for the X1D / X2D

Particularly wondering if there is an angled version anywhere to be found.

Not sure about an aned version. I've had mine for a decade.

You don't need it with the X2D. The EVF is spectacular.

Gordon

Jan 29, 2024 at 09:55 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

Ai_Print wrote:
It could be sample variation but for me, it simply came down to what I overwhelmingly saw…

I went though two copies of the 38V on my own, borrowed a friend’s 55V to directly compare to the one I had and had two people independent of one another send me raw files of their 38V and 55V. While there was some variation in terms of left to right centering, the overwhelming results of the comparisons were that my 45P and 65 2.8 blew them all away at nearly every aperture as far as consistency of sharpness and retention of detail in
...Show more

My copy of the 45p isn't nearly as good as my 65. It's decent. Sharp but dull. My 65 is better than my 55 but I don't want to carry it. My Min gig is travel and fine art. Grams matter.

I sell prints to A0. The 38 and 55 aren't the best lenses I own. Those are the SL APO Summicrons but I'm not having image quality issues stopped down a bit. This is the 55. I have this printed at A1 and I'm not getting significant blur in the corners. There's a lot of fine detail here in a decent print.

I'm switching from helicopters to drones for aerial work. Just picked up an Inspire 3.

Gordon

https://flic.kr/p/2pjxPQk

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:06 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

rdeloe wrote:
It depends on what the alternative is for your situation.

A medium format back would make a lot of sense on my digital view camera setup, but a Phase One IQ4 150 is out of the question. As a reference point, here's someone selling a used IQ4 150, and looking to get EUR 22,000. If you need a medium format back, can't afford an IQ4 150, and and older generation Phase One back won't do, then this Hasselblad is a total bargain.

I'm happily trucking along with a GFX 100S instead of a medium format back, but that means the
...Show more

True, but that's about the only use case that seems logical to me (and one I'd try if I had the money).

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:22 AM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

flash wrote:
My copy of the 45p isn't nearly as good as my 65. It's decent. Sharp but dull. My 65 is better than my 55 but I don't want to carry it. My Min gig is travel and fine art. Grams matter.

I sell prints to A0. The 38 and 55 aren't the best lenses I own. Those are the SL APO Summicrons but I'm not having image quality issues stopped down a bit. This is the 55. I have this printed at A1 and I'm not getting significant blur in the corners. There's a lot of fine detail here in
...Show more

Yeah, believe me, I tried *so* hard to make them work, they are truly a step up in all other areas. To put it blunty, it sucked to have to return them. I get it with weight, I have had to haul gear up a couple thousand vertical feet to 12,000 to 14,000 feet and then ski double black diamond runs back down with the weight on my back. At nearly 57 years old, the impact of that is shall we say, more felt? I just don't feel that weighed down by the fabulous 65 2.8 though.

Drones for aerials, check for me as well but not in all cases. I'm a bit different in all this in that I am actually moving away from digital and more towards my darkroom based work for fine art. So I still haul a Hasselblad 501CM on a Kenyon KS-6 gyro for some aerials.

I look forward to checking out the rental 35-75.

Jan 29, 2024 at 01:37 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

Ai_Print wrote:
Drones for aerials, check for me as well but not in all cases. I'm a bit different in all this in that I am actually moving away from digital and more towards my darkroom based work for fine art. So I still haul a Hasselblad 501CM on a Kenyon KS-6 gyro for some aerials.

Ok, now I'm paying attention! Can you elaborate on your 501CM aerial set up?

Jan 29, 2024 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ai_Print
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

Desmolicious wrote:
Ok, now I'm paying attention! Can you elaborate on your 501CM aerial set up?

I used to use a 500ELX and now that there is some 220 film out there (Shanghai GP3) I might get one again, prices seem flat over the past 4 years. But the device is a gyro stabilizer long made by Ken-Labs, the KS-6:

https://www.ken-lab.com

With a top leaf shutter speed of 1/500th, using a gyro is paramount with these setups, I would even consider using it with the X2D along with its IBIS to really snug things up as flights cost quite a bit so you need to produce with no excuses. Here are a few images, one of the 500ELX and my then 100CF mounted on the KS-6 and then one from a super cold mid-winter flight with the window open on a Cessna Centurion 210, a great aerial plane because of the high wing, fast speeds and retractable main landing gear. We were at about 15,000' feet, the pilot on oxygen....you just can't do this kind of work with a drone.

Jan 29, 2024 at 02:37 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

Ai_Print wrote:
I used to use a 500ELX and now that there is some 220 film out there (Shanghai GP3) I might get one again, prices seem flat over the past 4 years. But the device is a gyro stabilizer long made by Ken-Labs, the KS-6:

https://www.ken-lab.com

With a top leaf shutter speed of 1/500th, using a gyro is paramount with these setups, I would even consider using it with the X2D along with its IBIS to really snug things up as flights cost quite a bit so you need to produce with no excuses. Here are a few images, one of the 500ELX
...Show more

Awesome! Thanks for the reply!

Jan 29, 2024 at 02:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

speedgraphic wrote:
This camera kind of desperately needs an accessory EVF. It should be possible to do via the USB-C to a little finder on the shoe. Not exactly elegant but pretty useful.

I want to believe that little optical finder would work but I read a review that stated it's pretty inaccurate in any condition but infinity.

Hmmm, I've been thinking old school, optical ... maybe technically, I could hook it up to either my phone or iPad (hardwire or WiFi), for those awkward / challenging setups as a tethered display in the field.

Hmmm.

Well, I just downloaded Hassy Phocus Mobile 2 and used it with camera ... seemed like manual focus worked "better" using the wheel in the software than when I manual focus the lens (FBW) by hand. Just a crude test in the house, but ... it seemed like I could just "walk" my focus right where I want it. Granted, a bit more cumbersome setup, than on camera, alone. But, that gives me unlimited viewfinding vs. camera positions. Implementation seems good.

I guess I could think of my iPad as a "detachable" (vs. flippy) LCD, on steroids.

I can feel my GAS level going down a bit (for now) ... well, now I'm looking at TetherTools for some GAS.

Jan 29, 2024 at 07:31 PM
tommmi

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

So... Has anyone actually bought this and even perhaps used it with 503CW?

I have an obsession of waist level finder...

Would I be crazy to replace my GFX for this?

Feb 27, 2024 at 02:59 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

tommmi wrote:

Do you own a 503 already? Hassy lenses?

It feels like a much better value if you are already heavily invested in Hassy. It's a sexy piece of kit for sure but in terms of overall usability, it's at the low end of the spectrum.

Feb 27, 2024 at 03:19 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

tommmi wrote:
So... Has anyone actually bought this and even perhaps used it with 503CW?

I have an obsession of waist level finder...

I have the 50MP version. Not sure I'm going to push the buy button on this one. Had they made it a few mm deeper and added IBIS I'd be all over it.

The 907x and back is a real hoot to use. It's a VERY small niche within a niche and almost everyone would be better off with an X2D. You don't really need the extra resolution without a tripod or IBIS. The system works OK with a hoodman if you really want that old school feel.

HB have some work to do on the firmware. You can't set shutter speed as the primary function in manual or exposure comp in aperture priority. That means it's pointless setting the lens ring to aperture. To get those functions you need to hold the little button. That makes the whole thing feel a tiny bit clunky and counter initiative. It's an esay fix for HB and Gordon Lang mentioned it in his review so hopefully HB were listening.

With the new lenses the camera feels a bit like a SWC but more flexible. The handling is actually good. I use a neck strap as an anchor point ala 500CM, and I'm pretty good down to 1/f with my 50C. Sometimes lower. The files are sublime. It's awesome with a square crop.

I have the GFx100II and 100S and it's a wildly different system to what HB offers. The Fuji is vastly more feature packed. The HB offers a user experience like none other. If you use the zooms on the Fuji then no, I wouldn't switch. If you're all primes I'd consider it, remembering that all new lenses are really hard to find at the moment so make sure you can get hold of the one you want before dropping the Fuji.

You know the images won't improve, right? Just how you get there.

Gordon

Feb 27, 2024 at 03:32 PM
tommmi

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Hasselblad CFV 100C Announced

RoamingScott wrote:
Do you own a 503 already? Hassy lenses?

It feels like a much better value if you are already heavily invested in Hassy. It's a sexy piece of kit for sure but in terms of overall usability, it's at the low end of the spectrum.

No, haven't ever used Hasselblad system. But I've been wanting to try it out for several years. Now with the newest digital backs, which are more reasonably priced than Leaf digital backs back in the days, it actually feels like a reachable system instead of just day dreaming.

It's still expensive, I'm not saying that. But so was my Leica, still worth every penny for the experience and enjoyment to use. I just love love love looking through a glass window instead of small electronic screen. Waist level viewfinder would be spot-on experience-wise.

Feb 27, 2024 at 03:39 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.