New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              end

A9iii Images

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · A9iii Images

Again thanks for this remarkable image sequence.
My question: For how long can you be in pre-capture mode at 120 FPS?
In this example the last 0.3 secs of which plus another 1.2 secs of images max are then stored on a memory card.
So, could the camera handle , letís say to be in pre-capture mode for one minute at 120 FPS?
Then keep the last 0.3 secs of images plus some subsequent ones?

With my A1 I often encounter a bird sitting there for an extended period of time, sometimes minutes, before it does something I would like to capture. I have an example where a Cooperís Hawk was on our water dish for 9 minutes, dipped occasionally in the water completely, then got out and flew away. But I would like to capture only the final fly away part.

K-H.

TimMunsey wrote:
The bird can be made out through the reeds when it prepares for take off, she makes herself tall to assess the direction. Then she crouches and launches uncoiling the spring. I have the camera on pre capture 0.3 secs, boost toggled on 120fps, my task is to press the shutter on crouch and follow her up through the reeds. It all happens incredibly fast the 1.5 seconds is adequate for the event.
Iíve had few goes, only this once did she fly in this direction most times she flew away from us due to wind and onlookers.

May 11, 2024 at 06:22 PM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · A9iii Images

In pre capture mode when you have your shutter button half pressed it records in this case continuously 0.3 seconds before
you fully press shutter button, so you can hold the shutter button as long as your finger allows and battery lasts.
So I guess the answer to your question is yes it can.

k-h.a.w wrote:
Again thanks for this remarkable image sequence.
My question: For how long can you be in pre-capture mode at 120 FPS?
In this example the last 0.3 secs of which plus another 1.2 secs of images max are then stored on a memory card.
So, could the camera handle , letís say to be in pre-capture mode for one minute at 120 FPS?
Then keep the last 0.3 secs of images plus some subsequent ones?

May 11, 2024 at 09:10 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · A9iii Images

Thank you TimMunsey.
Thatís the same then as I am experiencing with my Olympus cameras.
The electronics / sensor may get a little warm though after a bit of time.
But no time limit enforced.
I have to admit, very tempting camera.
It will be interesting to see what Joshuaís reaction will be after he has used a loaner A9 III for a while.
Thanks again, K-H.

TimMunsey wrote:
In pre capture mode when you have your shutter button half pressed it records in this case continuously 0.3 seconds before
you fully press shutter button, so you can hold the shutter button as long as your finger allows and battery lasts.
So I guess the answer to your question is yes it can.

May 11, 2024 at 09:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · A9iii Images

Saturday...

ILCE-9M3    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    840mm    f/5.6    1/6400s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-9M3    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    840mm    f/5.6    1/6400s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 12, 2024 at 06:38 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · A9iii Images

Starting to see some really nice shots here. Thanks for sharing guys. Quick question: Does a93 allow you to get shots you probably wouldn't have gotten with your other bodies? For me, this is the crux of the issue if adding an a93 to a bag with A1's in it makes any sense.

May 12, 2024 at 08:51 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · A9iii Images

timgangloff wrote:
Starting to see some really nice shots here. Thanks for sharing guys. Quick question: Does a93 allow you to get shots you probably wouldn't have gotten with your other bodies? For me, this is the crux of the issue if adding an a93 to a bag with A1's in it makes any sense.

Because of pre-capture it makes getting some shots easier and also higher FPS can give you a better chance of getting the pose you want.

But I don't feel the AF itself is getting me shots I can't get with the A1's AF. Really only the pre-capture is helping me out. Still don't think there is any shot I've got with it that I haven't had before from previous cameras. But if you are into shooting songbirds flying between perches it will sure increase your success rate over an A1 many fold because of the pre-capture and higher FPS options.

May 12, 2024 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · A9iii Images

Well yes.

My concept of progress is when mere mortals with ease can accomplish what before only geniuses could accomplish with difficulty.

K-H.

May 12, 2024 at 04:21 PM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · A9iii Images

timgangloff wrote:
Quick question: Does a93 allow you to get shots you probably wouldn't have gotten with your other bodies?

In my bittern shot example I would have 4x fewer shots, the part walking on the reed tops I have 5 shots (41milliseconds) only 1 from the A1 and would the wings be in a nice position?
An easy yes to your question.

May 12, 2024 at 10:51 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · A9iii Images

TimMunsey wrote:
In my bittern shot example I would have 4x fewer shots, the part walking on the reed tops I have 5 shots (41milliseconds) only 1 from the A1 and would the wings be in a nice position?
An easy yes to your question.

Thanks, and yes, those are some gorgeous images.

May 13, 2024 at 08:26 AM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · A9iii Images

Agree, no going back from 50mpx, not for me anyway. A1 already has excellent AF so I can wait. Definitely not buying another camera at this price point just for pre-capture

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks for sharing your results. Looks like AF is excellent. Wish it had more MPs and had stayed at the $4500USD price point. If it had done either of those I'd have picked one up. I'll hold out for the A1II I guess.

May 15, 2024 at 09:54 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · A9iii Images

Had a visit to Florida including Blue Cypress lake and did some more run of the mill stuff, my first visit to the US pleased I wasn't shot, thought the nature reserves are beautiful.

All with 600mm f/4 (is there anything else?)

Tim

Edited on May 15, 2024 at 10:42 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2024 at 10:21 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · A9iii Images

Beautiful work Tim, love those backgrounds. Very impressive shots from the A9III.

May 15, 2024 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.