1       2       3              32      
       end

Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

bjhurley wrote:
A fast 24 would be useful; the one I have is the Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 and I've used it a bit for concerts but faster would be better in low light. I'm mainly shooting 50mm (the C-Sonnar) and either 85 or 105 for when I can't get close to the musicians (especially useful for drummers and bass players in the back of the stage), but the 28mm is my "whole band" lens so I can get all the band members in one shot. I've used the MS Optics 28/2 you sold me quite a bit in concerts and it's actually
...Show more

Yeah, I have also found that older glass with funky stuff going on with flare and FC and what not is very much appreciated by the musical community. Way more interested in a vibe and and feel than in any type of sheer accuracy. I enjoy their mindset

I often end up shooting a 85/1.4 or 70-200/4 for the longer stuff. F4 is honestly lousy for indoor lowlight stuff, but I make it work, though suboptimal.

I use the 24/1.4 GM as my "whole band" lens, and the 50 to isolate a person for half-body distance. Anything longer is essentially head shots or I am pretty far away/compromised access.

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:54 PM
dieterson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

bjhurley wrote:
It's still early days, but my overall impression is that "it does the job." I'm not particularly in love with it; it's very contrasty, which I can address in post, and overall the images don't really sing to me. I also have the Nikon 28/1.4 AF-D, which I like more in terms of its character and image quality on Sony, but that's a much bigger lens, the manual-focus experience isn't as good, and it focuses the Nikon way, which throws me off when I have to react quickly to fast-moving objects like dancers.

When I'm shooting concerts and dances I'm
...Show more

If you like the rendering of the Nikon 28 1.4 AF-D you could try the Thypoch Simera 28 f1.4! I am using this lens on the Sony A7IV and I am very happy with it (the first manual and fast 28 with low weight +size with really nice bokeh and MFD of 0,4m). I was waiting for a very long time for a 28mm prime ticking so many boxes for me!

I quote from Bastian Kratzkes 28mm comparison (https://phillipreeve.net/blog/comparison-fast-28mm-f-1-2-f-1-4-f-1-5-fullframe-lenses/):
"The Sigma, Nikon AF-S and Thypoch generally have the to my eyes overall nicest rendering. They combine good sharpness and contrast in the focal plane with smooth and undistracting bokeh. I am actually surprised how similar they look, especially given the massive size difference between the Thypoch and the other two."

Apr 09, 2024 at 01:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Thanks Guy and Fred! I'd love to get close to native performance, or stop behind and have the option of using the CV 28/2 ASPH on my stock Sony.

It was nostalgic to take a trip down memory lane. :-)

I tested the CV 28/1.5 lens on the Sony 42MP camera, and it performed adequately despite some induced field curvature. When focusing on a specific subject off-center in real-world images, the lens still produced sharp results. However, the downside is that there is more noticeable field curvature compared to when using the lens on a native Leica sensor, so rendering may be compromised depending on the scene.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1842505/3#16454762

Apr 15, 2024 at 01:33 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Thanks Fred--I remember the very first PCX filter post and that whole craze-fun times

I have decided to get more hardcore into video, so stills are going on the back burner for me!

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.