FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32              34       end

Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

bjhurley wrote:
A fast 24 would be useful; the one I have is the Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 and I've used it a bit for concerts but faster would be better in low light. I'm mainly shooting 50mm (the C-Sonnar) and either 85 or 105 for when I can't get close to the musicians (especially useful for drummers and bass players in the back of the stage), but the 28mm is my "whole band" lens so I can get all the band members in one shot. I've used the MS Optics 28/2 you sold me quite a bit in concerts and it's actually
...Show more

Yeah, I have also found that older glass with funky stuff going on with flare and FC and what not is very much appreciated by the musical community. Way more interested in a vibe and and feel than in any type of sheer accuracy. I enjoy their mindset

I often end up shooting a 85/1.4 or 70-200/4 for the longer stuff. F4 is honestly lousy for indoor lowlight stuff, but I make it work, though suboptimal.

I use the 24/1.4 GM as my "whole band" lens, and the 50 to isolate a person for half-body distance. Anything longer is essentially head shots or I am pretty far away/compromised access.

Apr 07, 2024 at 07:54 PM
dieterson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

bjhurley wrote:
It's still early days, but my overall impression is that "it does the job." I'm not particularly in love with it; it's very contrasty, which I can address in post, and overall the images don't really sing to me. I also have the Nikon 28/1.4 AF-D, which I like more in terms of its character and image quality on Sony, but that's a much bigger lens, the manual-focus experience isn't as good, and it focuses the Nikon way, which throws me off when I have to react quickly to fast-moving objects like dancers.

When I'm shooting concerts and dances I'm
...Show more

If you like the rendering of the Nikon 28 1.4 AF-D you could try the Thypoch Simera 28 f1.4! I am using this lens on the Sony A7IV and I am very happy with it (the first manual and fast 28 with low weight +size with really nice bokeh and MFD of 0,4m). I was waiting for a very long time for a 28mm prime ticking so many boxes for me!

I quote from Bastian Kratzkes 28mm comparison (https://phillipreeve.net/blog/comparison-fast-28mm-f-1-2-f-1-4-f-1-5-fullframe-lenses/):
"The Sigma, Nikon AF-S and Thypoch generally have the – to my eyes – overall nicest rendering. They combine good sharpness and contrast in the focal plane with smooth and undistracting bokeh. I am actually surprised how similar they look, especially given the massive size difference between the Thypoch and the other two."

Apr 09, 2024 at 01:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Thanks Guy and Fred! I'd love to get close to native performance, or stop behind and have the option of using the CV 28/2 ASPH on my stock Sony.

It was nostalgic to take a trip down memory lane. :-)

I tested the CV 28/1.5 lens on the Sony 42MP camera, and it performed adequately despite some induced field curvature. When focusing on a specific subject off-center in real-world images, the lens still produced sharp results. However, the downside is that there is more noticeable field curvature compared to when using the lens on a native Leica sensor, so rendering may be compromised depending on the scene.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1842505/3#16454762

Apr 15, 2024 at 01:33 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Thanks Fred--I remember the very first PCX filter post and that whole craze-fun times

I have decided to get more hardcore into video, so stills are going on the back burner for me!

Apr 16, 2024 at 05:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Thanks Fred--I remember the very first PCX filter post and that whole craze-fun times

I have decided to get more hardcore into video, so stills are going on the back burner for me!

Honestly, the most effective PCX lens corrector is the 5000 model (for wide and normal lenses). I'm considering 3D printing an adapter for it. The PCX lens primarily corrects changes in field curvature, which are often exaggerated outward when the sensor stack is thicker.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:02 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Honestly, the most effective PCX lens corrector is the 5000 model (for wide and normal lenses). I'm considering 3D printing an adapter for it. The PCX lens primarily corrects changes in field curvature, which are often exaggerated outward when the sensor stack is thicker.

I am now shooting film, sony stock, Sony modded and Panasonic FF, so taming that FC would be huge. I really appreciate a lens that can work on everything. The Lumix and Sony stock sensors have close enough sensor stack where the correction would work for both.

Do you have a PCX 5000 to try? I put my 1500 from my Contax G21 in front, just held it flush, but totally not the right correction.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:54 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I am now shooting film, sony stock, Sony modded and Panasonic FF, so taming that FC would be huge. I really appreciate a lens that can work on everything. The Lumix and Sony stock sensors have close enough sensor stack where the correction would work for both.

Do you have a PCX 5000 to try? I put my 1500 from my Contax G21 in front, just held it flush, but totally not the right correction.

I no longer own one, but I'm contemplating purchasing the PCX 5000 and experimenting with various lenses, such as the Leica 35/1.4 FLE.

Apr 29, 2024 at 09:40 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I no longer own one, but I'm contemplating purchasing the PCX 5000 and experimenting with various lenses, such as the Leica 35/1.4 FLE.

I’d be curious to see your findings. Did you end up buying a 28 Lux again then? I thought you loved the CV 28/1.5

Apr 30, 2024 at 01:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I’d be curious to see your findings. Did you end up buying a 28 Lux again then? I thought you loved the CV 28/1.5

The PCX is currently out of stock, but I'm planning to purchase one and give it a try.

Recently, I took a quick trip to Portland and used my MP along with the Voigtlander 28/1.5 Nokton and captured three rolls of film. I've just finished developing the rolls, and hopefully, by tomorrow, I'll be able to scan them and share some images here.

May 05, 2024 at 07:24 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

My GFX is in the shop for some mods so I had to make do with what I had (poor me, I know).

Shot on the M10-R with the 28/1.5. Not what it was made for, but it did in a pinch. Focus stacked a little for the foreground, f/1.5.

May 11, 2024 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfoto
• • • •
p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Northern Lights in Vancouver, SL2-S:

May 12, 2024 at 09:59 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

I already tried with the Leica 35mm 1.4 FLE, result wasn't impressive.

May 12, 2024 at 10:40 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.33 #13 · p.33 #13 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BastianK wrote:

Go figure. That is my favorite lens I have ever shot. Mounted on my M11 by default these days. Different strokes I suppose...

May 12, 2024 at 10:56 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.33 #14 · p.33 #14 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

1bwana1 wrote:
Go figure. That is my favorite lens I have ever shot. Mounted on my M11 by default these days. Different strokes I suppose...

I think you missed the topic of the conversation.

May 12, 2024 at 10:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #15 · p.33 #15 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

BastianK wrote:

Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. Despite using it on the Zeiss 35/1.4 ZM, the outcomes were somewhat inconsistent when I tested it. While it improves the extreme corners, it does seem to degrade the mid-zone slightly. The PCX 5000 did well on the CV 35/1.7.

May 12, 2024 at 11:17 AM
BastianK
• • •
p.33 #16 · p.33 #16 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. Despite using in on the Zeiss 35/1.4 ZM, the outcomes were somewhat inconsistent when I tested it. While it improves the extreme corners, it does seem to degrade the mid-zone slightly. The PCX 5000 did well on the CV 35/1.7.

Just realized I even tried it with Eksma and Optosigma PCX 5000:

May 12, 2024 at 12:08 PM
p9168k
• •
p.33 #17 · p.33 #17 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Can anyone with LH-6 hood comment whether you're able to use it with filters? Saw a BH review by someone stating that the hood doesn't fit with polarizer attached. Thank you.

May 18, 2024 at 04:56 PM
Tonzah78
• •
p.33 #18 · p.33 #18 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

This is still the one lens I am praying for CV to make as a Sony native lens, as my other wish of 75/1.5 is FINALLY about to happen. If CV were to make one 28mm for Sony, I hope it's this 28/1.5 Nokton. As I'm now transitioning to use Fuji X once again after many years on Sony only, I'm about to sell my all Sony AF lenses and replace them with the lighter new f/1.2-1.4 XF lenses. I'm only keeping the manual Voigtländers on Sony. The CV trio of 28/40/75 (and maybe CV21/3.5) would serve me well.

May 24, 2024 at 02:24 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.33 #19 · p.33 #19 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Tonzah78 wrote:
This is still the one lens I am praying for CV to make as a Sony native lens, as my other wish of 75/1.5 is FINALLY about to happen. If CV were to make one 28mm for Sony, I hope it's this 28/1.5 Nokton. As I'm now transitioning to use Fuji X once again after many years on Sony only, I'm about to sell my all Sony AF lenses and replace them with the lighter new f/1.2-1.4 XF lenses. I'm only keeping the manual Voigtländers on Sony. The CV trio of 28/40/75 (and maybe CV21/3.5) would serve me well.

I think it would be very logical for CV to make 28/1.5 for Sony FE / Nikon Z / Canon RF after 75/1.5, since it would seem like a good fit in their lineup for all these mounts and there should be good demand for it... Before CP+ I was predicting that they would bring out 28/1.5 in all these mounts there but instead they announced 75/1.5 at that time. Still waiting patiently for that 28/1.5 in FE (although I do have the VM version).

I also added a Fuji X camera to my set last year (a 2nd hand X-S10) but only to be able to get the CV X-mount lenses for it. I have 6 of them now (only missing the 35/0.9). I'm still keeping Sony as my main system and the only one where I also have native AF lenses. My 3rd system is Sigma fp but I no longer have native L-mount glass. Could still use it with adapted lenses though.

May 24, 2024 at 05:34 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.33 #20 · p.33 #20 · Voigtlander 28mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I think it would be very logical for CV to make 28/1.5 for Sony FE / Nikon Z / Canon RF after 75/1.5, since it would seem like a good fit in their lineup for all these mounts and there should be good demand for it... Before CP+ I was predicting that they would bring out 28/1.5 in all these mounts there but instead they announced 75/1.5 at that time.

I guess it's much more difficult to tweak the VM 28/1.5 design in order to adapt it to Sony FE / Nikon Z mounts and maintain same performance. Tweaking the 75/1.5 (if any tweaking was required) should have been easier.
I'm not so confident we'll see a CV Z 28/1.5.

May 24, 2024 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.