Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

kenwood
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

I have a one time job to take full body group photos at an event. I don't nor a way to bring a long paper backdrop on site. But I do have 2 cloth backdrop that I can use, by hanging one off the background and another one lay flat on the floor. But the problem is the transition between the two is not smooth, hence the need to fix it in post. I m looking for creative ways to make the transition more seemless. Any suggestions? Buying a big cloth backdrop is the last resort.

Jan 21, 2024 at 01:35 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

Personally, I donít know of any tricks to make the seam disappear other than, post processing and getting a seamless backdrop. If it were one or two group photos, I might choose post processing. If itís a bunch of group photos, Iíd probably buy a long backdrop and get it right in camera. If the backdrop is in decent shape after the shoot, you could possibly sell it and recoup some of your investment.

Jan 22, 2024 at 08:45 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

Low angle perspective of the camera closer to the floor will minimize the floor and seam. Use more background lighting up high to put the seam in shadow.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:58 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

Have you thought about having a seamless delivered to the venue? Perhaps using a corner of a room as a set with a lifestyle feel, library, chair, bookshelf or similar.

Jan 22, 2024 at 02:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

Why can't you just bring a paper backdrop?

If you can't do that, I'd recommend just sewing the two backdrops together. Also cloth backdrops have a tendency to have ripples, so I usually recommend using a stretchy fabric and use clamps on both sides to help eliminate the ripples. Regardless, it will probably still show some ripples even if you spend a ton of time steaming and tweaking it.

I'd just tell them you either have to bring a paper backdrop in, or you have to charge them more money for editing, because you shouldn't have to burn hours to fix an issue that the client is creating.

Jan 22, 2024 at 06:16 PM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

I'm dodging the question as I have no solution, but if you know you're going to edit it afterwards, can you shoot tethered so they narrow down their favorites to a few winners? That way you're only editing a handful of photos.

If there's a good portable solution for a group shot using a cloth backdrop (or two of them attached) with minimal work in post, sign me up too. I think if anyone knows how to do this, it's someone on the wedding forum.

Jan 25, 2024 at 08:20 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · using two cloth backdrops to simulate one paper backdrop?

I do this frequently with muslim cloth backdrops (black or gray). For an invisible seam (to the camera) make certain that the floor backdrop overlaps the hanging backdrop bottom end when pulled down overlapped by the floor backdrop with about a foot or more of the hanging backdrop lying on the floor. Then place the floor backdrop on the floor and overlap this flat bottom part of the hanging backdrop by about 12". The edge of the floor backdrop will be much less visible to the camera when overlapped this way (completely invisible most times). Pulling the hanging backdrop down to form a shallow curve from vertical to the floor also helps. I then stretch and tack the overlap area at each side to the floor using just a few large 3/8" dia black headed thumbtacks (I painted them) if the floor is wood (I hammer them in fully - heads must be flat against floor). When removed, they will leave tiny holes that will close up quite well and aren't easy to see later (This works well in my studio's wood floor, but may not for your location). 12" long Gaffers tape from backdrop to floor left and right may be an alternative to the tacks.

Charley

May 13, 2024 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.