New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

Whisle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1733414-REG/angler_fastbox_24_octagonal_softbox.html

Since I have two V1 flashes this looks easy and fast to set up and hopefully large enough to do some portraits both inside and outside. I have a transmitter coming today and still need a stand so if there is any advice for that I would be grateful. I have only started using flash now for a few months so I'm in total noob world.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:59 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

Tight portraits, or head and shoulders: yes.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:45 PM
Whisle
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

jlafferty wrote:
Tight portraits, or head and shoulders: yes.
Thanks, that's what I'm looking to do.

Jan 20, 2024 at 01:14 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

Get a solid stand that will carry the load and a couple good sandbags. I have an Angler box and it is easy to set up and take down.

**Very important** Find a way to attach a short strap from the V1 to the softbox. The magnetic attachment is strong, but a sudden jarring of the softbox or stand can break the attachment and the V1 will go flying. Good way to lose a light.

Jan 21, 2024 at 08:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dugaut
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

Yes to the sandbags if outside. Light modifiers make great sails; even a light wind will move it.

Jan 21, 2024 at 08:08 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

28" should be fine, you might want to go a bit bigger like the Elinchrom Deep Octa 39". There will be times where the 28" will feel too directional or hard, and you'll eventually wish you had a larger modifier. The Elinchrom is one of my most used modifiers.

One fun way to do outdoor portraits with lighting is to get a paint pole adapter, and a sturdy paint pole and hand it to a niece/nephew/partner/assistant to act as a voice operated light stand. No sandbags required

Jan 22, 2024 at 07:19 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

dugaut wrote:
Yes to the sandbags if outside. Light modifiers make great sails; even a light wind will move it.

Personally I use sandbags indoors as well. I am way too paranoid of a light stand or backdrop falling over and hurting a client, and the stands become too top heavy for my liking once a flash and modifier are attached whether indoors or outdoors.

Jan 23, 2024 at 06:52 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will a 28" Softbox be Large Enough

dugaut wrote:

And sandbags can be easily overpowered...consider the mechanical advantage of LEVERAGE.
If the sandbag is 10 lbs. placed 1.5' out on the end of the lightstand leg, it has only 15 lbs. of mechanical advantage.
If the wind is blowing 10mph, and the light modifier is 24" x 24", and is 5' up the lightstand, the sandbag will not keep the stand and modifier from getting blown over because the windforce is greater, at over 20 lbs.. An assistant holding the modifier is better than lugging multiple sandbags!

Feb 03, 2024 at 02:31 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.